"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
Master Chef

I think you can cut all of the sugar used by half without any real harm to the recipe. The filling could probably be cut by 3/4's.

As far as the folks at the "old folks home", I would stay away from taking things that they should not have. IMHO it only makes it more difficult for them to maintain a steady diet of low concentrated sweets by kind of YoYoing between the concentrated sweets and the low. What they really crave is some human contact and a good conversation with people from the "outside". Take as many little kids as you can find and a couple of dogs, they will enjoy that more than the sweets.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sure the nursing home has a dietician on call or hand and it would be best to ask that department. Trying to adjust a recipe that has as much carbs as this recipe has would seem almost impossible. Too often, well meaning folks try to make everyone happy and give them foods that are a no no for them. There just seems like there is just too much sugar in that recipe. For the majority of diabetic patients, thye best diet is low carb, sugar free. You really should clear any foods you bring to the nursing home with the medical staff to make sure it is one that the patients can safely have. A lot of patients have food allergies along with being a diabetic. Nuts come to mind. Some people can't even be around nuts without having a reaction.

And honey is pure sugar. Other foods that are on the NO list are any that end in 'ose.' Sucrose, dextrose, lactose, etc. Ose foods are just sugar in disguise.

So many times someone has offered me a food that I can't have. When I say I am a diabetic, I get the standard answer. "Oh my uncle is also, but he has sweets every so often. And it doesn't seem to hurt him." Well, I am not your uncle. And you can't see the damage it is doing inside.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i use splenda in baking all the time. i use the white and the brown. i cannot tell the difference. only place you need to watch out is when sugar is used for volume.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Cook

Unhappy Seet Leaf stevia

I have been trying 'stevia' by Sweet Leaf, and it does have a bitter after taste if a lot is used.

But it's all natural....
Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I find Agave and Stevia have an astringent aftertaste that I just cannot tolerate. I'm working on reducing the amount of sugar I use gradually and am managing to reduce my intake that way. Now if I could just reduce my potato and pasta consumption, I would have my Diabetes under control...maybe.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
Cook

Brussels sprouts

I have been baking Brussels sprouts with sprayed on oil and sprinkled with nutri yeast flakes, very good.

And I am making lots of chili without adding oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Now if I could just reduce my potato and pasta consumption, I would have my Diabetes under control...maybe.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Until just recently, I was handling my Diabetes very well with just diet. It has advanced beyond dietary control. Now I have to relearn new ways to eat, some of the ways just do not sound appetizing for someone who has been able to cook lots of variety with very little limitations. Nutri-flakes? those just do not appeal, I just work with what I have in the way of whole natural foods and limit the ones that make my blood sugars go up.

Thanks anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brussel sproutz.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	12496  
Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Until just recently, I was handling my Diabetes very well with just diet. It has advanced beyond dietary control. Now I have to relearn new ways to eat, some of the ways just do not sound appetizing for someone who has been able to cook lots of variety with very little limitations. Nutri-flakes? those just do not appeal, I just work with what I have in the way of whole natural foods and limit the ones that make my blood sugars go up.

Thanks anyway!
Your pic summarizes my feelings exactly, PF!

We got some organic blue agave syrup from Costco. I haven't used it in anything yet, but did taste it, I liked it. You use less than you would sugar. I also don't mind Truvia.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Your pic summarizes my feelings exactly, PF!

We got some organic blue agave syrup from Costco. I haven't used it in anything yet, but did taste it, I liked it. You use less than you would sugar. I also don't mind Truvia.
I learned to swallow them whole, so I would not have to taste them when I was a kid. Good training for all the meds I take now.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I learned to swallow them whole, so I would not have to taste them when I was a kid. Good training for all the meds I take now.
I always kept a big napkin on my lap, and used it frequently.

Tags
sugar