Replacing Sugar with Honey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until just recently, I was handling my Diabetes very well with just diet. It has advanced beyond dietary control. Now I have to relearn new ways to eat, some of the ways just do not sound appetizing for someone who has been able to cook lots of variety with very little limitations. Nutri-flakes? those just do not appeal, I just work with what I have in the way of whole natural foods and limit the ones that make my blood sugars go up. Thanks anyway!:yum:

My doctor recently reduced my medication for my diabetes. Somehow I have managed to bring it under control and my A1C has been steady at 6.0 or 5.9 for the past year. I wish I knew what I was doing right. I have terrible eating habits. Never a balanced meal. I will make a bowl of steamed broccoli with melted butter poured over it. And for me that is a meal. I never eat bread. I just don't like it. If I do have a sandwich, it has to be a grain such as wheat or oat. My idea of a snack is dry Cheerios right out of the box. Beats chips or popcorn any day. I eat meat about once or twice a week. Many years ago I had part of my stomach removed. In the process they severed the nerve that tells me when I am hungry. As a result, I never get hunger pains. I could go days without eating if it weren't for the diabetes. I have often wondered what would happen with my diabetes is I just stopped eating. But I am too afraid to try it. :chef:

My doctor recently reduced my medication for my diabetes. Somehow I have managed to bring it under control and my A1C has been steady at 6.0 or 5.9 for the past year. I wish I knew what I was doing right. I have terrible eating habits. Never a balanced meal. I will make a bowl of steamed broccoli with melted butter poured over it. And for me that is a meal. I never eat bread. I just don't like it. If I do have a sandwich, it has to be a grain such as wheat or oat. My idea of a snack is dry Cheerios right out of the box. Beats chips or popcorn any day. I eat meat about once or twice a week. Many years ago I had part of my stomach removed. In the process they severed the nerve that tells me when I am hungry. As a result, I never get hunger pains. I could go days without eating if it weren't for the diabetes. I have often wondered what would happen with my diabetes is I just stopped eating. But I am too afraid to try it. :chef:

Don't try it Addie, I've taken care of enough folks who stop eating. Not time for you, yet!

Addie, I tried that. Doesn't really work :/ Apparently liver tries to compensate by releasing extra glycogen and I ended up with a consistently high reading during the two days I water fasted. My diabetes is diet controlled, but if yours is insulin controlled then even worse! You could end up with dangerously low levels.

Cookingfortwo, it doesn't matter if honey is natural or not. It's actually a more concentrated source of carbs than granulated per volume.

As for the original question, you have no choice but to use Stevia. It's the closest I've tried to sugar when it comes to taste. Some other sweeteners have a noticeable aftertaste.

Forget the honey. It will still spike a diabetic's blood sugar level. Also forget Splenda and Stevia because they have a propensity to dry out baked goods and they do have an aftertaste. Replace your sugar with agave nectar, one for one. Just as sweet as sugar, no aftertaste and an extremely low glycemic index, which means it won't spike anyone's blood sugar levels. It ain't cheap, but good stuff very seldom is.

Back
Top Bottom