"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I am not a diabetes expert but honey was right below sugar on the lists of foods my diabetic father was to avoid. Honey is not sugar free.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Until just recently, I was handling my Diabetes very well with just diet. It has advanced beyond dietary control. Now I have to relearn new ways to eat, some of the ways just do not sound appetizing for someone who has been able to cook lots of variety with very little limitations. Nutri-flakes? those just do not appeal, I just work with what I have in the way of whole natural foods and limit the ones that make my blood sugars go up. Thanks anyway!
My doctor recently reduced my medication for my diabetes. Somehow I have managed to bring it under control and my A1C has been steady at 6.0 or 5.9 for the past year. I wish I knew what I was doing right. I have terrible eating habits. Never a balanced meal. I will make a bowl of steamed broccoli with melted butter poured over it. And for me that is a meal. I never eat bread. I just don't like it. If I do have a sandwich, it has to be a grain such as wheat or oat. My idea of a snack is dry Cheerios right out of the box. Beats chips or popcorn any day. I eat meat about once or twice a week. Many years ago I had part of my stomach removed. In the process they severed the nerve that tells me when I am hungry. As a result, I never get hunger pains. I could go days without eating if it weren't for the diabetes. I have often wondered what would happen with my diabetes is I just stopped eating. But I am too afraid to try it.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My doctor recently reduced my medication for my diabetes. Somehow I have managed to bring it under control and my A1C has been steady at 6.0 or 5.9 for the past year. I wish I knew what I was doing right. I have terrible eating habits. Never a balanced meal. I will make a bowl of steamed broccoli with melted butter poured over it. And for me that is a meal. I never eat bread. I just don't like it. If I do have a sandwich, it has to be a grain such as wheat or oat. My idea of a snack is dry Cheerios right out of the box. Beats chips or popcorn any day. I eat meat about once or twice a week. Many years ago I had part of my stomach removed. In the process they severed the nerve that tells me when I am hungry. As a result, I never get hunger pains. I could go days without eating if it weren't for the diabetes. I have often wondered what would happen with my diabetes is I just stopped eating. But I am too afraid to try it.
Don't try it Addie, I've taken care of enough folks who stop eating. Not time for you, yet!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Natural Honey

If its natural honey then it's suitable. Try the FARMA one.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Addie, I tried that. Doesn't really work :/ Apparently liver tries to compensate by releasing extra glycogen and I ended up with a consistently high reading during the two days I water fasted. My diabetes is diet controlled, but if yours is insulin controlled then even worse! You could end up with dangerously low levels.

Cookingfortwo, it doesn't matter if honey is natural or not. It's actually a more concentrated source of carbs than granulated per volume.

As for the original question, you have no choice but to use Stevia. It's the closest I've tried to sugar when it comes to taste. Some other sweeteners have a noticeable aftertaste.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For non-sugar sweeteners I prefer sugar-alcohols e.g, maltitol. I have never cooked with them, but I have had chocolate that used it instead of sugar and it was yummy.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Forget the honey. It will still spike a diabetic's blood sugar level. Also forget Splenda and Stevia because they have a propensity to dry out baked goods and they do have an aftertaste. Replace your sugar with agave nectar, one for one. Just as sweet as sugar, no aftertaste and an extremely low glycemic index, which means it won't spike anyone's blood sugar levels. It ain't cheap, but good stuff very seldom is.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishwater.Hands View Post
was thinking that perhaps honey in the cream cheese would be very tasty.

sounds good to me but I think the agave nectar is a better option
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer May View Post
sounds good to me but I think the agave nectar is a better option
Sugar is sugar is sugar. Everything in moderation

Tags
sugar