"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Replacing Sugar with Honey?

So I was hoping I could pick your brains on how to turn this into a diabetic friendly dessert. The reason I ask is because I volunteer at the local old folks home and we went out to this local restaurant that served this and everyone loved it. They loved it so much that they wanted more but it was very sugary. I want to find a way to give them this yummy treat again but not put them into a diabetic coma or get brow beaten by the nurses (whichever comes first!).

I'd like to try and substitute for honey if possible, was thinking that perhaps honey in the cream cheese would be very tasty.

Quote:
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin pie filler
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)

1.) PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
2.) COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
3.) BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
4.) BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love the recipe! I'll bet everyone was drooling! Honey is still sugar. You might want to consider Stevia/Truvia, which they claim bakes well. Splenda does too. Pumpkin pie stuff, as opposed to pure pumpkin without, may also harbor some sugar.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I wonder if it's available in Canada. I can't seem to find a clear answer on the almighty google machine. I guess I'll have to go looking. I am hesitant to put splenda in it just because I'm not crazy about the taste of the stuff or the look of it.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I am no expert on diabetic cooking. Others will chime in. I would worry about the powdered sugar too.

I used Splenda in some rhubarb sauce last night, and it was good. I also have used Truvia in my freezer pickles, with no discernable difference.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I would imagine that Truvia/Stevia would be available worldwide. It is a bit sweeter than sugar, so you may want to taste before you put in the eggs.

What a nice thing you are doing!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

Truvia is not food, it's a chemical created by two big corporations: Coca-Cola and Cargill. Splenda is pretty much the same thing; it is not cultivated, it does not grow in nature. They create Splenda by switching out select sugar molecules with chlorine molecules. Please don't feed either to unsuspecting people.

Stevia is at least a natural substance and plant based. Honey, molasses, maple syrup and brown rice malt syrup are all viable substitutes for sugar depending on what you're baking.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh dear. Check out a site like WebMD, and plug in sweeteners for diabetics. Maybe some of the medical folks here could chime in.

My mom and an aunt were diabetic, no honey, molasses, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Personally, I would give them a smaller portion. It's not just the sugar that gives diabetics the problem, it's the carbs as well and you aren't going to take out the flour, right?

My dad is a type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) and he uses Splenda religiously. My mom bakes with it with no problems and little change in taste. Yes, it's chemically altered but so is the flour you are using, the pumpkin pie filler, and the margarine. Stevia is good but it is a whole lot more expensive and some people react poorly to it.

I think whatever you do, they will think it's awesome you made them such a yummy treat.

Just 2 more cents to add to your purse .
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I am no expert on diabetic cooking. Others will chime in. I would worry about the powdered sugar too.

I used Splenda in some rhubarb sauce last night, and it was good. I also have used Truvia in my freezer pickles, with no discernable difference.
Do you happen to have the recipe for your rhubarb sauce anywhere you can post it easily? I'd love to try it sometime.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmobxnc

Do you happen to have the recipe for your rhubarb sauce anywhere you can post it easily? I'd love to try it sometime.
Yikes! I never use a recipe. Cut up rhubarb in 1/2 inch pieces. nuke or cook with Splenda,Truvia, honey, or sugar or a combo in a small amount of water. Stir frequently. Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, lemon zest or juice, or any other spice of your prefence if desired. Add more water as needed.

Tags
sugar