Stevia Sweetener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
Stevia is eight times stronger than sugar, so it has a bad after taste when overdone.
I am using it with milk which helps even more, like hot carob milk. Just a little sprinkle will do and it lasts much longer.

Has anyone else found ways to use it?

Stevia is eight times stronger than sugar, so it has a bad after taste when overdone.
I am using it with milk which helps even more, like hot carob milk. Just a little sprinkle will do and it lasts much longer.

Has anyone else found ways to use it?
I've grown my own and use it exclusively as a sweetener.

The weird aftertaste depends on what brand you use.

It *is* easy to over-use.

I bought a box, and I can't stand it! Besides the aftertaste, it doesn't dissolve.

If you do something simple like put it on cereal, you'll break your teeth on the hard granules in the bottom of the bowl.

I bought a box, and I can't stand it! Besides the aftertaste, it doesn't dissolve.

If you do something simple like put it on cereal, you'll break your teeth on the hard granules in the bottom of the bowl.

I think you got a weird brand. I don't much like the aftertaste, so I don't use it. But, I did try it at my mum's place and didn't find any problem with dissolving.

I have a HUGE bag in my cupboard. I used it once and it had a godawful aftertaste. Now it just sits there until I find someone who likes it. I have switched from turbinado sugar to raw agave nectar, which has the same calories as sugar, but a lower glycemic index which means it won't spike your blood sugar level. I only use one teaspoon in my coffee, but I am sure I can find somewhere else to cut 45 calories during the day.

S-L-O-B - I love that agave nectar, especially on oatmeal.

Maybe we can put your huge bag together with my huge bag, and send them to the poor starving children in ____________ (fill in the blank if you're old enough to remember that line).

Stevia/Tried Erythritol?

I also don't like the taste of Stevia. I found something called Organic Zero (erythritol), which tastes exactly like sugar but doesn't spike the blood sugar/is safe for diabetics and doesn't decay teeth. It's more expensive than Stevia, but I think the good taste and other benefits are well worth it (even though I'm not diabetic).

They recently stopped making Organic Zero, so I switched to ZSweet, which is also erythritol). I order it in bags on the Web. I love it...use it in coffee, tea, on hot cereal, etc., and all info indicates that it's safe as well as yummy. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
How much do you use?

I got the Sweeleaf brand and over used it the first few times, untill I realized that it is very strong, now only a very light sprinkle does it.

I've grown my own and use it exclusively as a sweetener.

The weird aftertaste depends on what brand you use.

It *is* easy to over-use.

Timothy,
I grew it last year then didn't know how to process it to use it. (The plants grew like crazy.)
What did you do with it to make it ready to use?

Back
Top Bottom