"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
Could be why a lot of cornstarch puddings seem to 'break' after they have cooled rather than keeping a consistent form that makes sense.
Cornstarches are just little water ballons...they suck up as much as they can and when they overfill...sploosh!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cornstarches are just little water ballons...they suck up as much as they can and when they overfill...sploosh!
...I kind of wish I could see that occur under a microscope now. That sounds rather neat.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
...I kind of wish I could see that occur under a microscope now. That sounds rather neat.
OOOh! that would be neat! I like how you think! I love experiments!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I hate to advocate for another website, but I will, anyway! :)

Low Carb Friends has a recipe section--try that. I am recently diagnosed with 'prediabetes' (kinda like being 'a little bit pregnant', I think) and am working hard at reducing carbs in my diet.

Lowcarb Friends has lots of good info, but be careful--there are some fanatics on there advocating things that don't have a lot of science behind them.
This post me laugh so much I nearly peed my pants! I'm also a little bit pregnant I needed that!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hey there, Came here looking for some more scientific comparisons for bleached bromated AP flour compared to cornstarch for the sake of my diabetic step father, as i am a professional (but disabled) chef and nutritionist, but there is not a lot of chatter in that community about it, to be honest.

However, i have to step in here to talk about cornstarch. Yes, it breaks if you overheat it, it will break if you reheat too many times, but if you are simply using it as a thickening agent and cook it properly (bring to boil, stir constantly for 1 minute to cook off the starches flavors and clarify the liquid again, remove from heat.) It should not break on you. Even leaving it in a pan, unless its something that holds heat incredibly well, the temperature drops below boiling so quick that it would not be responsible for your liquid breaking. Flour on the other hand is not as efficient a thickener and requires a much longer cook time to get rid of the raw flour taste, while leaving a permanent flavor behind, sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending on the dish.

Tags
meals