"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thickener for use in Diabetic meals?

If I make something like stew or Beef Stroganoff, is there a better thickener to use than flour, for diabetic eaters?

Thanks! Cinder

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Head Chef

I hate to advocate for another website, but I will, anyway! :)

Low Carb Friends has a recipe section--try that. I am recently diagnosed with 'prediabetes' (kinda like being 'a little bit pregnant', I think) and am working hard at reducing carbs in my diet.

Lowcarb Friends has lots of good info, but be careful--there are some fanatics on there advocating things that don't have a lot of science behind them.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Half Baked

I just made my beanless chili yesterday and used some quinoa to thicken it.Yummy and a nice texture.

I use flax alot for thickening or just to add some fibre and added nutrition.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks, I'll look into that site.
A great friend of mine was diagnosed with Diabetes last Summer and has lost an awful lot of weight. I'm trying to get a handle on what to cook for him so that he'll have some meals in the freezer.
What he really needs is a woman to take care of him,, but until then, I'm going to try to feed him up a bit.

Cinder
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Back to thickening... How about arrowroot or cornstarch?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Perhaps my first question should have been...Does it matter that much to the carbs etc, which thickener you use?
I see some recipes with flour and bread crumbs in them, but I certainly got the impression that white flour and bread was a huge no-no.

As you can see, I'm a real newbie at this.

I wonder if there is an "exchange" or substitution list anywhere from regular recipes to diabetic-friendly recipes?

Cinder
Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Head Chef

My dad is a diabetic and my mom is an excellent cook who always thickened sauces or gravies with flour or corn starch. The amount you get per serving is minimal. My dad has an insulin pump now and has to program in his carbs after eating and doesn't count those because they are so small in the overall meal.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Cook

I agree with JMediger and Zhizara - cornstarch is a pretty good standard thickening agent. I have always used it in meals for my father (he's a diabetic on insulin).
14g (about a tablespoon) of cornstarch is typically the most you'd need to thicken sauces/gravies, and that has a total of approximately 49 calories and 12g carbs - the nutritional value gets distributed through the servings, as to how much it does impact the overall nutritional value depends on the amount of serves VS amount used (and as JM pointed out, it's usually minimal even at using that amount).

Depending on the meal being thickened, pureed beans (borlotti or cannellini for example) could be used, or you could strain the sauce to reduce it further on its own.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Back to thickening... How about arrowroot or cornstarch?
Just an update here. Cornstarch as a thickener can "break" if cooked too long, as I was reminded by another post. If, as posted by others the flour can be used, then use flour instead of cornstarch.

Cornstarch works well in stir fries because you usually take the pan off the heat right after adding it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Just an update here. Cornstarch as a thickener can "break" if cooked too long, as I was reminded by another post. If, as posted by others the flour can be used, then use flour instead of cornstarch.

Cornstarch works well in stir fries because you usually take the pan off the heat right after adding it.
Could be why a lot of cornstarch puddings seem to 'break' after they have cooled rather than keeping a consistent form that makes sense.

Tags
meals