whey for sugarfree granola?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
I have type 2 diabetes and am searching for ways to cut ca fat and sugar and even salt....

I made some granola , but it was too bland and too hard to chew with out teeth. So I got tot thinking about whey that I discovered the other day, and it says on the package it has a shortening effect with out fat.

Can any one tell me any thing about this concept : "making the granola more crumbly with whey"?

I have heard that it is also sweeter than milk...I used dry milk and wheat germ, oat bran, ground flax, and vanilla.

I make my own granola and include whey protein powder. My coworkers call it Sara's Crumbs. Disdainfully.

crumble

Does that mean it does not help the crumb?

How do you make the cranola?

The one time I made it , I learned that letting the water soak in before adding to the pan, I was able to crumble the texture, and it did not stick to the pan. (new heavy duty aluminized steel jelly roll pan, no silicone)

Maybe I should just use Stevia for a sweetner and crunch it down to the right texture before drying?

Last edited:
try this?

I am hoping that some one will actually try to make a sugar and fat free granola.

This is what I did Sunday:

2 cups barley flakes rolled oats would be better)
1/2c wheat germ
2tbsp oat bran (not thrilling)
2tbsp fresh ground flax seed (omega 3 oils)
3 tbsp sweet dairy whey powder (not much point in it.)
2 tbsp Cinnamon
a little nutmeg
copious amounts of vanilla and maple or almond extract
3/4 cups water
I sprinkled stevia powder on it, bit much.

soaked it in then dried the mess, not till it was hard. The crumb was not improved notably.

The taste was nothing to sing about, too much raw wheat germ? the stevia is not so tasty, but it's not going to raise my blood sugar.

well I make a lot of compost before I get it right with out help.

Are you allowed to add nuts and seeds to your granola? I would cut back or cut out the wheat germ. I have always made granola in the oven with honey. I usually use several kinds of flakes (oat, wheat, rye, whatever I have.

How do you want to serve the granola?

Wrote a whole big reply and computer froze ...

Anyway, I make mine by toasting oats in the oven. When cool, I put them in a bowl with a bunch of nuts and seeds. I use wheat germ too;mine has no sugar.

If you have a food processor, wouldn't that make the granola easier for you to eat ?

how to live with out sweetners and fats

I thought of eliminating the whey and possibly using the toasted wheat germ, then use apple juice (pear juice may be a slower sugar) in place of the water, letting it soak in to the oat flakes or what ever I have. The Stevia has a realy bad after taste.

And if it still makes hard granules, Toast every thing separately.
toasted ground sesame seed will taste better than wheat germ. I know ground sunflower seed is used in vegy burgers for texture.

I was trying to get away from too much fat. Even the good kind will keep me from loosing weight, I lost 70lbs in four months but need to drop another 50. I had a heart attack 4 months ago so I have to change every thing.

Most diabetics don't worrie about fat content. And salt is totaly addicting. I realy need to fill my self with high fiber foods.

Flavor

I was eating some nice simple granola and discovered that the flavor came off the grain. Then I thought maybe I should just get an oil sprayer and mix in maple sysrup and salt, with olive oil, so I can apply only very small amounts to the granola.

Last edited:
The apple juice did nothing...

Perhaps meusli is the way to go. Yet I can actualy loose weight by eating our local Rebel Crunch granola, maybe because I do not chew it.

Back
Top Bottom