Baking powder--how does it lose strength?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Does baking powder lose strength because it is exposed to oxygen or heat or ???
I came into 2 lbs of it, fresh.

Do I want to package it to use 8 oz a year for the next 4 years, and how do I do that?
OR
Do I want to package it and give away 24 ounces to friends because it will lose strength?

I can vacuum seal, can, freeze, or store at 55 to 60 degrees F. What would you do?

I would buy much smaller quantities that can be used up before its expiration date.

I don't know the answers to your other questions of if the expiration can even be slowed or stopped.

No, it was given to me from someone that works at a packaging plant, fresh aluminum free, baking powder, free of charge, in return for other kind favors. I just don't want to waste the gift.

No, it was given to me from someone that works at a packaging plant, fresh aluminum free, baking powder, free of charge, in return for other kind favors. I just don't want to waste the gift.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

That's okay. I know a little about how things work, but I know nothing of baking powder. Thanks for trying to answer.

I dunno. Since I'd just referenced them in the Good Eats thread I read what McGee and Corriher say in the two books I have handy. Learned stuff but no direct answer to your question. I'm not invested but if I was, off the top of my head, I'd drill down into the King Arthur Flour forums. I've not baked seriously in a long time but there are some serious baking geeks there.

Okay then, I'm going to vacuum pack them in 4-8 oz packages and keep them in a labeled jar in the basement pantry. Thanks for the help!

Done and thanks again. Here's a tip. The vacuum sealer treats the powder like water and sucks it towards the seal and when that happens it can't get a good vacuum and won't seal. So I put portions in zip lock bags and then vacuum packed those individually. Worked great!

Done and thanks again. Here's a tip. The vacuum sealer treats the powder like water and sucks it towards the seal and when that happens it can't get a good vacuum and won't seal. So I put portions in zip lock bags and then vacuum packed those individually. Worked great!

Not to quibble, but it's the Ziplock bags containing the baking soda that needs the air pulled out. Drawing the air out of the container that's storing the Ziplocks can only do so much. Rolling up a paper towel and placing it between the baking soda and the seal should help prevent dust getting sucked up to the sealing area.

Last edited:
I keep a small jar of cream of tartar in a zip lock bag.

When I need baking powder I mix it :

1 tsp cream of tarter

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp corn starch (corn flour as some call it)

Yields 1 TB.

This makes a double acting baking powder that is reliable.

The cream of tarter responds to the heat and the soda to acids such as in
dairy, eggs, and grain.

Baking powder is a mixture of an acid, like cream of tartar, and a base (alkali) usually baling soda. The two chemicals react when moister is added to release CO2 bubbles. The CO2 is trapped by the gluten and causes the leavening action in batters, and dough.

Double acting baking powders give a double rise, one set off when moisture is added, the other activated by heat and moisture.

Storing your baking powder in an air-tight container, in a cool place will provide the longest lasting results.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That baking powder I received back in 2017 is still in humidity free (if you can make them humidity free in plastic bags which is questionable because plastic oozes moisture over time) plastic bags. It is in a cool place. I've used NONE of it. We don't really use much. Based on my usage level, I have enough to provide 3 small countries with enough for anyone. So.

So now that I don't use oil or fat, the baking powder is not often used. It wasn't used often before that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom