"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Never fails...the toidy squad has arrived.

Well I've finally found a squad I can be a proud member of.

Peter Pan didn't want to grow up and neither do I.

Haven't heard from Kenny so I don't think he'd mind his thread being hijacked.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Your body really doesn't care whether something is "natural" or synthetic. In fact, your body isn't aware of what what's being ingested so it just digests what it can and eliminates the rest.
I used to think that but now I do not believe it. I may be wrong but. When I work in South America most of the food I eat is freshly prepared and natural. When working in the USA I get busy and eat a lot of chain restaurant food. Similar ratios of veggies to meat, portion size and calorie counts. In the USA it is hard for me to maintain weight. In South America I lose 2 pounds per month. And in South America I drink more wine and beer.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I used to think that but now I do not believe it. I may be wrong but. When I work in South America most of the food I eat is freshly prepared and natural. When working in the USA I get busy and eat a lot of chain restaurant food. Similar ratios of veggies to meat, portion size and calorie counts. In the USA it is hard for me to maintain weight. In South America I lose 2 pounds per month. And in South America I drink more wine and beer.
So how does that mean that your body "knows" or doesn't "know" what to do with what you eat? Food is broken down by chemical and muscle action and nutrients are absorbed or not. Chain restaurants are well-known for adding a lot of salt, fat and sugar in the food, so I would be really careful about what you order.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #54
Senior Cook

A little history lesson. Napolean III offered a prize to anyone that could make a substitute for butter for the troops and lower classes. Enter Oelo in the mid 1800's. It was changed to this and that and in late 1800 the process was sold to what is now Unilever (the company I work for). Margarine at that time was a combination of animal fatand cottonseed oil, but it was white and had the appearance of lard. With WWII restrictions Margarine gained popularity because of the shortage of animal fat it was changed to all oils and it was now yellow thanks to a food dye. Due to new innovation most of the margarines have went through major changes, Trans fat free, addition of omega 3, low or no salt, and plant sterols claimed to reduce cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and on and on. One of the main differences is that margarine will contain 10-20% saturated fat (typical) and butter is some where between 52 and 65%.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

I remember during the war and for a while after, the farmers here got a law passed in their favor that all oleomargerine had to sold white. You either got it in a plastic bag with a small coloring packet to make it yellow or in a block with a separate packet for the coloring. I remember very well mixing that darn stuff for my mother. I used to watch everyone using it at the meal and hoping they wouldn't use a lot. That meant it would go faster and I would have to mix more.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Parkay!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
A little history lesson. Napolean III offered a prize to anyone that could make a substitute for butter for the troops and lower classes. Enter Oelo in the mid 1800's. It was changed to this and that and in late 1800 the process was sold to what is now Unilever (the company I work for). Margarine at that time was a combination of animal fatand cottonseed oil, but it was white and had the appearance of lard. With WWII restrictions Margarine gained popularity because of the shortage of animal fat it was changed to all oils and it was now yellow thanks to a food dye. Due to new innovation most of the margarines have went through major changes, Trans fat free, addition of omega 3, low or no salt, and plant sterols claimed to reduce cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and on and on. One of the main differences is that margarine will contain 10-20% saturated fat (typical) and butter is some where between 52 and 65%.
Interesting article (but don't go eating too many deep fried battered Mars bars)

Everyone Was Wrong: Saturated Fat Is Good For You | Greatist
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Parkay!
Just looked it up and having seen a list of ingredients I think I'll pass, thank you.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Hi, I HAVE CHECKED AROUND SUPERMARKETS. BUT NON OF THE BUTTER/MARGARINE HAVE ANY WORDS OF ''BUTTER'' OR ''MARGARINE''

I know butter should be better. But there is really no such word appearing on the label.

I'd like to know, in terms of nutrients label what is the main difference between butter and margarine.
(Sigh)Then it isn't butter. If it says "oil" in the ingredients or on the label it isn't butter. If it has any additives or fillers in it it isn't butter.

Butter can be made from cow's, goats or sheep. It is not made with chemicals. If it has anything added to it, other than a little salt, it is NOT butter.

Margarine may be made with Canola oil, Coconut oil, Colza oil. Corn oil, Olive oil, Palm oil, Soybean oil, Sunflower oil or other oils. It also has a lot of additives, not least preservatives, flavourings and colour.

How many times would you like this repeated?

Tags
butter