Butter or margarine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember during the war and for a while after, the farmers here got a law passed in their favor that all oleomargerine had to sold white. You either got it in a plastic bag with a small coloring packet to make it yellow or in a block with a separate packet for the coloring. I remember very well mixing that darn stuff for my mother. I used to watch everyone using it at the meal and hoping they wouldn't use a lot. That meant it would go faster and I would have to mix more. :angel:

I remember my Nana telling me about that margarine, and having to mix it up. All her life she called margarine "oleo" My mom and dad too.

I prefer butter. Grew up with it. Butter offered me an opportunity that I, likely, could not take advantage of these days.....maybe I could. Around 1972 or '73, I won a case of beer from a friend who bet me I couldn't tell the difference between butter and some brand of margarine. Might have been Imperial but I can't recall. 'Course that was back in the days when I enjoyed beer like Budweiser, et al. I find most mainstream commercially produced beers mighty bland these days.

Your body really doesn't care whether something is "natural" or synthetic. In fact, your body isn't aware of what what's being ingested so it just digests what it can and eliminates the rest.
Don't forget, if you swallow your gum it stays in your tummy for seven years. :ermm: :ohmy: :D

I asked my doctor this same oleo/butter question a while back. He said butter, that something from as few ingredients as possible, with as many being those naturally occurring as possible, is easiest for your system to process.

If a recipe calls for butter, whenever possible I substitute half the amount of butter with olive oil.

When I was in high school, we had to do skits in German class. The Parkay commercial was our skit (only we translated it into German.) My friend was at the table and I was under it getting tapped with his foot when I needed to say my part. Instead of Parkay, we used the German word for margarine. (Like butter, margarine in German was remarkably the same.) :)

Don't forget, if you swallow your gum it stays in your tummy for seven years. :ermm: :ohmy: :D

I asked my doctor this same oleo/butter question a while back. He said butter, that something from as few ingredients as possible, with as many being those naturally occurring as possible, is easiest for your system to process.

If a recipe calls for butter, whenever possible I substitute half the amount of butter with olive oil.
:LOL:I was told it would wrap itself round your intestines and strangle them and you'd DIE! Needless to say when I once accidentally swallowed mine I survived. Mind you, I was a bit worried for a day or two.

Butter never been dangerous, it only depends on how many lbs you use to cook in u're frying pan. :)
if u don't want to avoid u're butter burns in u're pan, put a little spoon of oil to prevent it from burning ( becoming dark brown). Use sun flower oil for example for it's neutral taste.

Butter never been dangerous, it only depends on how many lbs you use to cook in u're frying pan. :)
if u don't want to avoid u're butter burns in u're pan, put a little spoon of oil to prevent it from burning ( becoming dark brown). Use sun flower oil for example for it's neutral taste.

I take it you text a lot. I find it hard to read your post. But then I am old and not used to this new English.

i do apologize for the abbreviation. i thought it was common in the US.

Apology accepted. I understand your confusion with our customs.

In this forum, we do not abbreviate. We do have some that we all use. Such as DH=Darling Husband, DD=Darling Daughter, DS=Darling Son, SIL=Son-in-law. There are a few more and you will learn them in time. If you don't understand one, just ask. We will gladly explain. And BTW (by the way) spelling doesn't count here. We are very forgiving for those not familiar with the English language. :angel:

This sounds kind of strange, Addie. I would say we don't correct people's spelling errors, but attempting to use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in any context makes accurate communication easier.

I would rather err on the side of not embarrassing the poster by publicly calling attention to their spelling errors. I am happy with just being able to get the message. Not all our members have a language degree. :angel:

don't care about it it's the same in all language particularly in France where grammar and spelling are very important

I would rather err on the side of not embarrassing the poster by publicly calling attention to their spelling errors. I am happy with just being able to get the message. Not all our members have a language degree. :angel:

I don't think it's an error to not mention it, and I don't think anyone here does mention it, unless they really can't understand what someone typed. That's very different from saying "spelling doesn't count."

Actually I and my husband have Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and we rarely correct anyone's spelling or grammar. ?

The only time I have was when my DH's female former best friend and I were arguing online. We were like oil and water (don't ask lol.) Anyway, she was really pushing it with me so I started to correct her English to one up her. Not my finest moment. Anyway, she is no longer in our lives (not the first or only argument we had.)

Actually I and my husband have Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and we rarely correct anyone's spelling or grammar. ��

If we did, poor Charlie D would have left us a long time ago. When his spelling is so far off, I will privately send him the correct spelling. He really is trying to learn our language. Not the easiest language to learn. I can't help but love Charlie. I have had some really good laughs at some of his spelling. And he willingly puts up with my corrections. Bless his heart. :angel:

You are all welcome to correct my spelling But i do not think it has anything to do with English. I am a horrible speller no matter what language I write in. Russian, Ukrainian, Spanish back in school and college, now English.
I appreciate being corrected. Believe it or not I love to spell words properly, I just cannot.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom