"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
I like to do what Just Cooking does. But I also, in the case of items that I know do carry copyright, know that aspect MUST NOT be breached, and all the credits must be mentioned. I have a HUGE number of recipes given to me by friends, many of them hand-written, going back decades, but none of them ascribing the original source, and I simply don't know at all whether they are copyright or not. I think many of us must also be in that situation.
It doesn't matter whether you know to whom the copyright belongs. The law says that an original literary work is automatically copyrighted by the writer at the time it's set down in fixed form. If you want to share someone else's recipe publicly, simply rewrite the directions in your own words.

And again, giving credit to the author, without having permission from the author to re-publish their work - even online - does not mean there's no copyright violation.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It doesn't matter whether you know to whom the copyright belongs. The law says that an original literary work is automatically copyrighted by the writer at the time it's set down in fixed form. If you want to share someone else's recipe publicly, simply rewrite the directions in your own words.

And again, giving credit to the author, without having permission from the author to re-publish their work - even online - does not mean there's no copyright violation.
I have yet to encounter a blogger publishing anything about not using, copying or sharing his/her recipe. Frequently they ask that proper recognition be given..
Bloggers, unless stated otherwise, test and perfect dishes and publish them with the expectation and desire that those recipes be made and shared..
I fully understand that there are rules and laws which we must all adhere to..
Of the hundreds of recipes I have used from all the bloggers I have followed, I doubt that one of them would find fault with my touting their expertise..

At times we can be a bit anal concerning many things..

Ross

Old 11-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I have yet to encounter a blogger publishing anything about not using, copying or sharing his/her recipe. Frequently they ask that proper recognition be given..
Bloggers, unless stated otherwise, test and perfect dishes and publish them with the expectation and desire that those recipes be made and shared..
I fully understand that there are rules and laws which we must all adhere to..
Of the hundreds of recipes I have used from all the bloggers I have followed, I doubt that one of them would find fault with my touting their expertise..

At times we can be a bit anal concerning many things.
Most bloggers don't understand copyright law, either, and most "regular people" bloggers don't do a whole lot of recipe testing. Many don't even know how to write a proper recipe.

People asked what the law is and I'm answering. It's also included in the terms of service of this site. What individuals decide to do with the information is up to them.

Of course, bloggers and others are perfectly free to give away their work or choose not to enforce their rights. They typically make money from ads on their sites rather than recipe/book sales.

I encourage you to read the two threads we've already discussed here, that I linked to earlier, so we don't have to go through it all again
Old 11-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Most bloggers don't understand copyright law, either, and most "regular people" bloggers don't do a whole lot of recipe testing. Many don't even know how to write a proper recipe.

People asked what the law is and I'm answering. It's also included in the terms of service of this site. What individuals decide to do with the information is up to them.

Of course, bloggers and others are perfectly free to give away their work or choose not to enforce their rights. They typically make money from ads on their sites rather than recipe/book sales.

I encourage you to read the two threads we've already discussed here, that I linked to earlier, so we don't have to go through it all again
Nahh... I'm going full outlaw... I'm 78...They can't give me more than 10 years at hard labor...

Ross
Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii

... brings to mind a song ...

Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post

... brings to mind a song ...

uh huh...
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Nahh... I'm going full outlaw... I'm 78...They can't give me more than 10 years at hard labor...

Ross
Then qwitcher bellyachin.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #18
Head Chef

pfffftttt...
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Head Chef

The quote from the Copyright office link doesn't guarantee protection for a recipe. It only says that that "Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook." The use of the work "may" means that there must be qualifiers for the instructions to be deemed as copyrighted - it isn't automatically protected just because it's is written down.

While this site may have such rules in place, all that is doing is ensuring that they don't get sued if someone does post a quote which contains actual copyrighted material (and such determination can be difficult for the layman, thus a blanket prohibition). That doesn't mean that my recipe for my post Thanksgiving turkey soup is copyrighted and inviolate just because I wrote it down. There is nothing inherently creative or intellectual about saying, "Stir in 2 tablespoons of chicken base."

In my opinion, compiling a particular list of ingredients and quantities (especially the quantities) is far more "creative" than just saying "Combine and simmer uncovered for 1 hour to reduce the broth by 1/3." Say that I change it to "To reduce the broth by 1/3, place all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 1 hour, uncovered." How is that not using the intellectual product in exactly the same fashion, with the same operative terms?

Since I'm not in the cookbook business, I'm not publishing anything, I'm not profiting from anything that I might put down, and I have a 100% expectation that some of those who use the recipe will copy and paste it to send to friends if it's worthy of such dissemination. Anyone who doesn't think that will happen is just kidding themselves.

This sort of over the top reaction to recipe distribution is just another example of the far too politically correct litigious society that we have to live with these days.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

This sort of over the top reaction to recipe distribution is just another example of the far too politically correct litigious society that we have to live with these days.
Amen and Amen..

Ross

Tags
cook, cooking