"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I will bring mine to room temperature for recipes but store them in the fridge. It must be because that's what my parents did and also because they are refrigerated when I purchase them. However, I knew a lady who had her own chickens and she never chilled her eggs.

I wonder when it began to be the norm to chill the eggs?
When eggs started coming from giant egg farms and not the farmer down the road. Refrigeration became necessary because eggs had to travel farther.

Eggs last seven times longer under refrigeration than at room temperature.

The American Egg Board has a great website with lots of information about eggs. It's worth looking at.

Incredible Edible Egg | Eggs | Egg Recipes, Egg Nutrition & Egg Facts

Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't think where we've been in Mexico coats them with anything, they sit on huge pallets in the middle of the grocery stores. Fresh from the chickens. Or not, so far so good.
Went into a Super Walmart in Puerto Vallarta and it was interesting seeing how food is handled differently, eggs out at room temp, most milk sold was shelf stable in aseptic containers, with only a small section for refrigerated milk.

Oh and they had Philadelphia cream cheese singles, ready to lay on a bagel or sandwich, why don't we have that here?

I've heard that fresh eggs are good for 2 weeks at room temp.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Went into a Super Walmart in Puerto Vallarta and it was interesting seeing how food is handled differently, eggs out at room temp, most milk sold was shelf stable in aseptic containers, with only a small section for refrigerated milk.

Oh and they had Philadelphia cream cheese singles, ready to lay on a bagel or sandwich, why don't we have that here?

I've heard that fresh eggs are good for 2 weeks at room temp.
Yes! We frequent Cozumel. Eggs are in abundance, sitting unrefrigerated in the middle of the store on huge pallets. No fresh milk to be found, it's all in cartons on the shelf that are good for 2 years or more. Not too bad if it's chilled.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Yes! We frequent Cozumel. Eggs are in abundance, sitting unrefrigerated in the middle of the store on huge pallets. No fresh milk to be found, it's all in cartons on the shelf that are good for 2 years or more. Not too bad if it's chilled.
I like Cozumel, good vibe. I've visited via cruise ship many times, I would love to stay longer sometime.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't think where we've been in Mexico coats them with anything, they sit on huge pallets in the middle of the grocery stores. Fresh from the chickens. Or not, so far so good.
I saw the same in Colombia and Chile. Even in the big modern markets (even the ones owned by Wall-Mart)
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Head Chef

I do set my eggs out to room temp but if I don't have time, I also place them in warm water.

For meringue, it's easier to separate yokes from whites while they're cold and then let them get to room temp.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

We go to Aruba every winter. 12-13 years ago, when eggs arrived at the supermarket, the cartons were stacked on the floor in front of the refrigerated cases!? As time went by, they started putting the eggs into the refrigerated cases to appease tourists' sensibilities.

Now they are refrigerated but you still have to open the cartons and do some shuffling to get a full dozen unbroken eggs.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

I like Cozumel, good vibe. I've visited via cruise ship many times, I would love to stay longer sometime.
You have to stay longer. It's my favorite place in the world!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I do set my eggs out to room temp but if I don't have time, I also place them in warm water.

For meringue, it's easier to separate yokes from whites while they're cold and then let them get to room temp.
I've experienced the opposite, for me they separate easier and cleaner when room temp. I use my hand to separate (let the whites slip through my fingers) and when room temp, it seems like the white separates cleanly from the yolk, so when I place the yolk in the bowl there is no white around the yolk.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Master Chef

Even for making pasta (I don't bake), my husband prefers the eggs to be at room temperature.

Tags
eggs