French food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inviteur

Assistant Cook
I'll give you some examples of French prices. As our prices are in euros / kg, i make a quick conversion for dollars / lbs. All of our prices are taxes inclusive

as we are in summer time let start with few prices.
Salads about 0.9 € so about 1.2 $
vegetables ( tomatoes, peppers, courgette and so on): from 1.5 to 3 €/ kg so from 1 to 2 $ / lbs.
French baguette bread about 1€...> 1.3 $.
Beef Lamb meets: about 20€/kg for the selected extra, 12€ for cheap cuts. So about 13$ for rear and 8$ for front pieces.
a Coca cola bottle ( 1.5 litter) costs about 2€ ans a Mac Donald cheese burger costs about 2€

Well, today's exchange rate Euros/USDollars is 1/1.33
So, $2.66 for 1.5 liters of Coca Cola as well as a Mc Donald's Cheese Burger doesn't sound too far off to me, if you are comparing costs between France and parts of the USA. Although I do have to say that I haven't been to a McDonald's Restaurant in years... I only miss the fries :yum:
oh and btw, welcome to DC.

thx for reply
Coca and Mc Do were a joke, but despite these prices, i'd be very happy to know the US food prices. If someone could post a link of on-line supermarket food store, he would be kind

This might be helpful...
Food Prices

Steve, in my store, apples are less than $1.00 a lb. Some are even less than $.50 a lb. The costs here for produce are much lower than that list. But the meats are much higher. Specially beef. We are entering the harvest time of the year, and produce is so cheap right now. :angel:

wonderful thx for links
i give you a French link too
Auchan Drive : courses en ligne express - Magasin drive

Boston... now i understand :)
The intellectual town of US, the town of the aristocracy. For us in France, the US states are divided in 4 parts. NY ths big cosmopolitan apple, the melting pot. Boston and the former colonies, L.A and the sun dream and the middle east with their conservative mentalities.
i know it's a mind reduction but as can be yours when you think to France

wonderful thx for links

The intellectual town of US, the town of the aristocracy. For us in France, the US states are divided in 4 parts. NY ths big cosmopolitan apple, the melting pot. Boston and the former colonies, L.A and the sun dream and the middle east with their conservative mentalities.
We're more complicated than that. ;)

That would be like if I said to you that France is two regions: Paris and everything else.

In the US, the large area between the east and west coast contains many different regions.

Last edited:
wonderful thx for links

My mind when thinking of France is - Southern France, Sunny and full of grape vineyards. I do know Paris is in the north of France. I am not sure about that part of the country. I do know you have a certain breed of dairy cows whose name escapes me at the moment. I have a secret love affair of dairy cows and horses. I have to admit I know very little of France. Except they love their baguettes and pastries. :angel:

Different cities, states, area of the United States will have differing prices on any number of food items.
It would depend upon many factors, such as availability and season.
Also, prices can change from day to day as well.
For instance, I bought coffee on Sunday for $4.99, I went back to the same market on Monday to get more, since the price was so low, and it had gone up to $8.99.
I'm sure @invitur that a quick internet search could show you anything that you might be looking for, for any reason.

Steve, in my store, apples are less than $1.00 a lb. Some are even less than $.50 a lb. The costs here for produce are much lower than that list. But the meats are much higher. Specially beef. We are entering the harvest time of the year, and produce is so cheap right now. :angel:

Note that weights are given in kilograms (2.2 lbs).

wonderful thx for links

Very strong French influence in LA, especially around the Lake Charles area. French is still a first language for some Cajuns.

wonderful thx for links

Yes, it is a gross generalization and those are cities and not states.

There is no "middle east" to speak of in the US. I'm guessing that you mean Midwest, which can be both conservative and very liberal. I'm surprised that you didn't mention the South.

I have been to France several times and appreciate the differences your lovely country has to offer! :)

When I travel in Europe it boggles my mind how small it is compared to the vastness of the United States. Simply put, if the Union had not been formed to be united all the States would be countries.

I think he meant Los Angeles, not Louisiana.

And I meant Louisiana, as he might not realize that the French influence is still strong there. Obviously he didn't mention that part of the US, so I was letting him know about it.

And I meant Louisiana, as he might not realize that the French influence is still strong there. Obviously he didn't mention that part of the US, so I was letting him know about it.

Right - he was talking about Los Angeles. So you talking about LA but not clarifying that it was not Los Angeles would just be confusing to someone who may not know about Louisiana at all. It confused me and I'm an American who is knowledgeable about the states and regional cuisines :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom