If you like to read old recipes.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I surfed on to this site that has links to Fee E-Books. Fourteen are PDF and two are Google E-Reader. Enjoy!!

Scroll down for the recipe links.

Chuckwagon Chow - Pioneer Living Survival
Couldn't find the Chuck Wagon Chow but what a fascinatingly paranoid web-site! An interesting insight into how (some of) the other half live, though.

I noticed in the Transportation section there were no entries in the Horse sub-section. A serious omission, I feel. Transport, warmth, companionship and, in extremis, you could eat it.;)

Last edited:
Well if they don't give it up maybe we think of our own.

It seems boring. Most of it will be stew. What else ? On the trail and in town last they got meat, potatoes, carrots, onions.

Maybe they got some chicken now and then. That does not last long without refrigeration.

On the trail of course they shot something, and others no doubt went fishing. Of course you want something with it.

When food got low they probably turned to rabbit. You can get them easily with bow and arrow. That should satisfy the need for meat.

Termydote:

Yeas ago in my old neighborhood, at the end of the street we had old Man Friedl. House o the hill, he used to let us drop our lawn waste down the hill until the Army Corps of Military Engineers told him not to.

One day he is out there with some animal cages. I walked down. There was somebody there and they said "Is this guy alright ?" and he said yes.

So I came to ask about the animals cages so I asked about the animal cages he was throwing out.

He said they raised rabbits and that is how they got their meat during the depression.

I liked talking with that old Man. It was a different perspective.

If I could get around I would go talk to old people in homes, and in VA. Pick me up some war stories, why not ?

But raising rabbits during the depression... Wow

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom