Muffins don't really rise ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I see that the muffins in the bakeries are high and beautifully shaped whereas my whole grain muffins are flat flat flat. If I overfill the container, I just have a mess.

Is it due to the whole wheat flours that I use, ya think?

thanks

I make whole grain muffins. They are dense and moist and rise to about double the size of the dough, maybe a little less. They are nicely rounded, but not tall.

I usually use baking soda and something acid, like yogourt, sour cream, or buttermilk substitute.

Must bakeries only put a small percentage of whole wheat/grain in or it would be dense.... Trick of the trade

Post you recipe, might be easier to help. But it's true, baking soda is one thing, and another is to mix WW flour and white.

I always use recipes specifically for the ingredients I have. My baking powder is brand new.

I guess I just have the image of a tall cupcake in my head, and I exzpect my whole grain goodies to be just like that, only healthier.

They rise, but just to the top of the muffin paper. they aren't high and domed like bakery cupcakes.

They rise. But just to the tops of the muffin papers, not like a large dome.
I don't think it gets much better than that with whole grain flour. Mine rise about 1 cm above the top of the muffin tin, sometimes. If you want that large dome, I think you will need to add white flour.

Without the recipe, it is hard to pinpoint what might to be tweaked. Also, the technique re: how the ingredients are blended would help. I sometimes add seltzer to things, in addition to baking soda/powder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom