"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

how about a more tough skirt like this

Kilt-Wearing Contractor: Man-Skirts Are Suited to Spackling - Renovations - Curbed Philly

or a tough straight skirt that is suited for hard working conditions but is still feminine in look and design?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Like maybe something with a tough material like this...

Amazon.com: Dockers Women's Alpha Khaki Skirt: Clothing
or this

Amazon.com: Mountain Khakis Women's Oxbow Skirt, Retro Khaki Chambray, X-Small: Clothing

but perhaps with a lower to the ground hemline?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi. I understand your concerns as best I can from here, but honestly, safety is more important than femininity in a commercial kitchen. There are hot burners, boiling liquids, sharp knives and people in a hurry to get things done. I really think safety should be the primary consideration.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Ok I found something helpful.....
Question:Does wearing a skirt in a restaurant kitchen setting pose a safety hazard?

Answer:OSHA does not have a specific standard or policy addressing the wearing of skirts - any type of skirt - in a restaurant kitchen setting. In general, section 5(a)(l) of the 1970 Occupational Safety and Health Act, 29 U.S.C. ß654(a)(1) (general duty clause), requires employers to furnish employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that cause or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to their employees.

Unfortunately, OSHA cannot provide a more specific answer to your inquiry due to the limited amount of information provided. The degree of exposure to restaurant kitchen hazards depends on, among other factors, the work the employee is performing and the characteristics of the employee's clothing. Employees may be exposed to sharp objects and hot surfaces and substances, and risk being cut and burned. The exposure of a greater amount of skin, whether from shorts, short skirts, or short sleeves, can increase the likelihood and severity of burns from splashing hot substances. The more loose-fitting the clothing is, meanwhile, the greater the potential for the clothing to catch fire or become caught in a machine. Regardless of the potential hazard, exposure also depends upon job responsibilities. For example, a waitress picking up food orders in the kitchen is generally less exposed to the hazards there than the cooks are.

Although OSHA does not have a specific standard or policy regarding kitchen apparel, we do recommend that kitchen staff, particularly those working in close proximity to any of the various hazards described above, wear protective clothing such as long-sleeved cotton shirts and pants to protect from cuts and bums. For more information on potential hazards in restaurants that relate to employee dress, please see OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/youth/restaurant/index.html. This section of OSHA's website is directed towards protecting young workers but the information and advice is applicable to all restaurant workers. Information particularly relevant to your question is under the Cooking and Food Prep tabs.

Sweet - anne burrell my new idol

Anne Burrell: The worst dish was definitely the pasta with the olives and pineapple. We didnít get sick from anything, it was all cooked properly just did not taste good.

RTVM: I have to ask..you always have on a skirt when in the kitchen, is there a reason or is it good luck or whatnot?
Anne Burrell: You know, itís just like wearing shorts. They are fun and comfortable but also girly and I love them.
RTVM: Do you cook a lot when you are at home and with your swamped schedule what do you do for fun in your spare time?

......so after reading the safety hazard thing how about wearing pants + non-wavy straight(aka non-loosing fitting) hardy material skirt? It also looks like from that site that Andy M. gave me that there is chef's capri's also...so how about wearing capris + non-wavy straight(aka non-loosing fitting) hardy material skirt?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

....then I would actually be doubly protected from hot material from the waist to the hemline

any arguments against?

After all these helpful dress code posts and advice my panic about urgency is going down a little ...after all there is still 5 days and 22 hours before I start on the 13th... thanks everyone that has posted so far!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

At this point, I think the question is how you balance the need for safety with your desire to project a certain image. Having unprotected skin involves a certain amount of risk, but I have seen chefs and cooks roll up their sleeves when the kitchen gets hot. OTOH, imagine yourself carrying an almost-full 20-quart pot of hot stock, stopping short as someone rounds a corner too fast, and sloshing some on your legs.

I like Anne Burrell, too, but she's the chef so she gets to decide for herself.

Since you're a bit calmer now, maybe you could try calling or emailing the supervisor again. Giving people a deadline often helps. You could say you're going shopping this weekend and need to know what to buy. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Reading over the replies again, I want to reiterate what menumaker said: no nail polish and trim your nails so that you can't see them when you look at the palm of your hands. No one wants them in their food
Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

There is a culinary school in Cambridge and I used to pass it every day. They have a very large window where the public can watch the students working and learning. ALL of them wore the standard checkered pants and the instructors wore white pants. Even the woman.

You can express yourself in different ways. Ear rings, a small amount of makeup, a nice neck chain and depending on how far you are in your hormonal treatment, a nice bra that shows through your jacket that you are not flat chested. There is a reason of safety for the clothing to be covering all exposed skin.

You have two needs. One to express your femininity and to make sure you fit in with the rest of the students. I think the second need should be your primary one. Let your ability to learn and following instructions be your primary goal. Wearing a skirt on the first day of school, will make you stand out and give cause for the instructor to bring to attention in front of the whole class, that perhaps you should be wearing pants. To be on the safe side, wear pants.

You didn't state what kind of school this is. Is it in a college setting where you will be in a dorm type setting? Or do you report for school each morning from home. If it is a dorm setting, you can wear your street clothes when not in class. If it is the second setting, you can slip into the bathroom at the end of classes for the day and change into your street clothes. The other students will see you for what you are wearing.

Good luck to both of your endeavors in life. I hope you find happiness in both of them.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a culinary school in Cambridge and I used to pass it every day. They have a very large window where the public can watch the students working and learning. ALL of them wore the standard checkered pants and the instructors wore white pants. Even the woman.

You can express yourself in different ways. Ear rings, a small amount of makeup, a nice neck chain and depending on how far you are in your hormonal treatment, a nice bra that shows through your jacket that you are not flat chested. There is a reason of safety for the clothing to be covering all exposed skin.

You have two needs. One to express your femininity and to make sure you fit in with the rest of the students. I think the second need should be your primary one. Let your ability to learn and following instructions be your primary goal. Wearing a skirt on the first day of school, will make you stand out and give cause for the instructor to bring to attention in front of the whole class, that perhaps you should be wearing pants. To be on the safe side, wear pants.

You didn't state what kind of school this is. Is it in a college setting where you will be in a dorm type setting? Or do you report for school each morning from home. If it is a dorm setting, you can wear your street clothes when not in class. If it is the second setting, you can slip into the bathroom at the end of classes for the day and change into your street clothes. The other students will see you for what you are wearing.

Good luck to both of your endeavors in life. I hope you find happiness in both of them.
An internship is done in a professional kitchen - a stand-alone restaurant or one in a hotel, convention center, resort, nursing home, etc.

What to wear really depends on the place. Where I went to school, we were not allowed to wear any make or jewelry in the kitchen at all, except a wedding band, because it could fall off into the food, and we were specifically told to wear white t-shirts with no designs on them under the chef jacket. Obviously, there is a very wide range of acceptable clothing depending on the place.

I would try really hard to get the information from the supervisor or someone else at the location - stop in if you can, as someone else suggested - and not try to guess.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
Sous Chef

It seems that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet QQ. We are ALL listening to you and Addie has , in my opinion, summed up what we are all trying to advise you.I can tell it is a very big deal for you so maybe now you need to relax, take a few deep breaths, and listen to these folks on this site that have listened to you and taken the time to reply. No-one has set you wrong in what they have told you............promise.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote