"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need advice as quick as possible

I am a pre-hormone transgender woman that is about to enter a cook prep internship and I have my asked my employer twice if she can give me the dress code for women(if there is a dress code). First was last friday she said she would be sending me an intake letter with all information including dress codes. I have tried to call her back get a hold of her this week and she finally called back while I was using the restroom yesterday. I got a hold of her again this morning and she said she had lost my information and so I gave it to her again. She gave me some details of the dress code(closed toed shoes, socks) but not all because she said she would have the dress code in the intake letter. I recieved an email from her which was the intake letter but there was no dress code information I don't want to call her back because I am thinking she will send me the dress code information sometime today and I don't want to keep calling and looking like an unprofessional nuisance....I have been checking my gmail constantly for the last 5 hours and I have gotten nothing. I start work at this internship next wednesday and don't have any money to buy clothing but my job center said they would help with that but I cannot call them until I know what I need to wear or not wear. Can someone please advise on some appropriate work clothing for a female prep cook worker or chef? I don't care about being some dolled up like a pretty little princess or some **** like that since this is cook job not a modeling gig but I would like to be able to express some sort of outward femininity at work so my coworkers don't see me as a man. Are nurse scrub pants and shirts or leggings ok? how about tops?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Good luck on your new endeavor. Check out this website for some ideas. Womens Chef Wear - Happy Chef® Uniforms

Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sure every program is slightly different, but I attended culinary school for a couple of months last year (had to withdraw for medical reasons) and here is what we were provided with as part of the first term's fees, or expected to have:
  • two long-sleeved chef's jackets;
  • plain white t-shirts to go under the jackets;
  • two pairs of thick chef's pants - ours had the checked pattern but I would think solid black would be fine;
  • two hats so that all our hair was covered;
  • two aprons;
  • two side towels;
  • black socks;
  • non-skid shoes. You can get the shoes at Payless Shoe Source.

The chef's jackets and pants are made of thick, baggy material so if you spill something hot, you won't hurt yourself too badly It's important to have those. We also could not wear any makeup or jewelry at all, except a wedding ring, in the kitchen.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I don't have a suggestion for you except to ask if there is a website for this organization that might have pictures of interns at work. I can fully understand how frustrating it is to be wanting and needing information and the one with the information is floating along apparently unconcerned. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Is there any way you can just pop in to the restaurant and have a looksee for yourself? Or does the place have a list of employees, maybe on their website, some of whom you could email and ask?

Yes, very frustrating.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Is there any way you can just pop in to the restaurant and have a looksee for yourself? Or does the place have a list of employees, maybe on their website, some of whom you could email and ask?

Yes, very frustrating.
Good suggestion
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Comfortable shoes. A must. Be helpful and energetic, absorb, reflect, and shine. If you can click your heels at the end of the day, you will know you done good. Good luck with your new endeavor.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the advice and help so far!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Please let us know how it goes!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Sous Chef

If I am 'hearing' you right I don't think this is so much about clothes as that is quite simple really. Dark slacks, not jeans, simple white t-shirt or short sleeved shirt should do fine, at least on day one with everyone else. I think what you want to know is how to 'accessorize' discreetly. So, could I suggest, perfectly clean hands and short nails and no rings, varnish or bracelets. If you have pierced ears then go for simple studs either gold, silver or pearl. You could get away with a fine neck chain if you wish I think. If you have longish hair,tie it back with a coloured band or 'scruchie'. If short, just wash it and go with it. Don't wear perfume only deodorant or a light eau de cologne. A quiet elegance and confidence is what you are setting out to achieve and you will. Go and enjoy learning to cook. You'll be fine. Hope I have helped

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote