Penzeys spices: Any opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrek has slowly taken over the kitchen...I do have a hard time finding some things now. Then he had a fit about one drawer and said that the next time he looked in there for something he was going to toss everything. So I went out there and moved ANYTHING that he could possibly need from that drawer to other drawers. Now it's MY drawer and he can't find anything:devilish:

i'm hoping to be sent a penzey's catalogs along with my spice order from them that i placed online a few days ago. just to make sure though, i put in a separate request for a catalog today. only thing, there is a wait time of 6-8 weeks for the catalog, and i am a girl who is not long on patience,,,,:)

When I called for the catalog I actually got it just a couple weeks later with my address hand-written on it.
Just about a week or so ago I got a second, different catalog. My name and address were typed on and I had a customer number. I felt so special. :wub:

When I called for the catalog I actually got it just a couple weeks later with my address hand-written on it.
Just about a week or so ago I got a second, different catalog. My name and address were typed on and I had a customer number. I felt so special. :wub:

the closest penzey's to me is more than an hour's drive, in richmond. might as well be four hours away, in baltimore, i'll never drive that far for anything again, except maybe to get to the ocean.:) when i did live in baltimore for a brief while, we spent a lot of our free time hanging out at the harbor. there was a mccormick's spice plant there, and the air was always filled with the aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg, for many blocks around. lovely. i was well stocked with spices then, and you could get them all for next to nothing by buying the 'irregular' tins.

it will be interesting to see which will arrive first, my penzey's catalog, or cg's mil's recipe for spaghetti sauce, the one that is made with celery seed and salt.
i have much to look forward to. i hope cg feels like typing soon, as i have begun to crave spaghetti of late.:yum: i keep remembering the workmen with their bowls of cg's 'green' sauce and dipping bread. also, i can practically smell the simmering all-day sauce already. i hope to have on hand all of the seasonings needed for this special spaghetti sauce. who knows what other surprise ingredients will be called for?

oh hi, cg. i didn't see you standing there. just thinking out loud... no, no rush on the recipe....which sunday in may is mother's day this year, i wonder, do you know?

Andy, have you been to the one in Arlington on Mass. Avenue? Just walking in the door is heavenly. :angel:

Addie, that's the one I go to. It's about a half hour away.

I'm due for a visit as soon as I inventory my spices and toss some older ones.

I love that I live 10 minutes from a Penzy's, what I don't love is that if I try to go on a weekend there is no parking and I'm willing to walk a good distance! It's a really popular shopping center with awesome restaurants and shops.

I'm gonna have to get there on a weekday afternoon, soon!

And, apparently, does my preview of my MILs spaghetti sauce recipe. :chef:

Guess I know what I have to do during one of the two baseball games I'll listen to today...

I've used celery seed in tomato pasta sauce my whole life. Just 1/2 tsp to a quart of sauce. OR I use a 1/2 cup of diced celery.

...it will be interesting to see which will arrive first, my penzey's catalog, or cg's mil's recipe for spaghetti sauce, the one that is made with celery seed and salt.
i have much to look forward to. i hope cg feels like typing soon, as i have begun to crave spaghetti of late.:yum: ....
oh hi, cg. i didn't see you standing there. just thinking out loud... no, no rush on the recipe....which sunday in may is mother's day this year, i wonder, do you know?

No guarantees, but I'll try to get to it sometime today. I have two baseball games I'll be listening to, but I also have a bunch of windows to wash and screens to wash and put into the windows. Plus a trip to church between. It's one thing to sweat the onions, but a whole 'nuther thing when I'm sweating me! :LOL:

Shrek has slowly taken over the kitchen...I do have a hard time finding some things now. Then he had a fit about one drawer and said that the next time he looked in there for something he was going to toss everything. So I went out there and moved ANYTHING that he could possibly need from that drawer to other drawers. Now it's MY drawer and he can't find anything:devilish:

:LOL: On the rare occasion DH wants to retrieve something from some drawer, he's threatened to do the same. So now he is forbidden from the pots and pans drawer, the dishwasher, the battery drawer, the tape drawer, and the plastic container cabinet. I refuse to give him his own drawer. Of course that conveniently means I get to put everything away, but it keeps the peace.

I let him buy two utensil containers yesterday, one for mine and one for his...I also made him get rid of the 6 spatulas he has purchased and disliked. Does retirement really last until death??? Or can he get called to go back to work???

...Does retirement really last until death??? Or can he get called to go back to work???

Himself has been laid off for a year and a half. He's half a year away from traditional retirement age so I'm figuring that's what he'll end up having to do. If our home lives are similar at all you're probably flirting with the idea of which way makes the "tragic, accidental death" look most above question. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I figure I really love him...even though there are a few times I don't really like him. It passes, and I keep him.;) For the sake of the cat.:)

Himself has been laid off for a year and a half. He's half a year away from traditional retirement age so I'm figuring that's what he'll end up having to do. If our home lives are similar at all you're probably flirting with the idea of which way makes the "tragic, accidental death" look most above question. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I figure I really love him...even though there are a few times I don't really like him. It passes, and I keep him.;) For the sake of the cat.:)

Mine forgets I am no where near retirement age...:rolleyes: I have to go to work, I don't have the luxury to hang around all the time. An 8 hour day is actually a 9 1/2 hour day counting lunch and time to and from.

No guarantees, but I'll try to get to it sometime today. I have two baseball games I'll be listening to, but I also have a bunch of windows to wash and screens to wash and put into the windows. Plus a trip to church between. It's one thing to sweat the onions, but a whole 'nuther thing when I'm sweating me! :LOL:

i was only funnin' witcha, cg. sunday is your day, enjoy.:) as you so aptly put it, cg, 'let the onions do the sweating.' today you've got god, baseball and spring cleaning all jockying for room in your playbook...

in the meantime, i'm taking a look at different sauce recipes to see what other tips might be out there. no matter that you already have the 'best' spaghetti sauce going on, the search for the ultimate uber sauce continues on in its quest....

so, i'm reading through this one recipe that has this brown mystery bag, containing a surprise secret ingredient, to be revealed later--very intriguing. the recipe continues on for many pages, with all of the usual cast of characters, and colored pictures showing various veggies and seasonings, in different stages of preparedness...so far, this recipe closely resembles that of most every spaghetti sauce i've seen and made before.

of course , by now i am eager to find out the identity of the secret ingredient in the paper bag. what could it be? (i'm hoping it's not a container of celery seed, or nutmeg):)

full of curiosity and impatience, i scroll ahead a number of pages to take a peek.
NO! you know what it was? the big MYSTERY ingredient?

it was a jar of EMERIL'S PASTA SAUCE--arrrrggggghhhhh!

cg, i promise to be a good girl and wait-- without complaint, without another word, await your mil's special sauce recipe, whenever the time is right for you....:angel:

There are several Penzey's threads, but I chose this one to comment on because after reading through it, it was the most fun. :LOL: Plus the added bonus of CG's link to her family pasta sauce recipe. ;) :yum:

Anyhow, I just placed my latest Penzey's order, and went a little overboard. :shock: :) I ordered by phone this time, so I could talk to a real person about the lid breaking on my recently ordered jar of Arizona Dreaming. I asked her if they would send me a new lid or an empty spice jar. She pleasantly said they are 100% guaranteed and will not only enclose a new empty jar, but a new full one of Arizona Dreaming as well. Gotta love Penzey's.

They have 4 different freebies for the summer issue, all 1/2 cup size. I chose "Fox Point Seasoning". It sounds really good - a blend of salt, freeze dried shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns. :yum: Valued at $9.35 in their catalog.

Anyone order anything lately that you want to comment on? :)

Last edited:
So cool that they did that, Cheryl! They're great.

I'll just say again that I love their Mural of Flavor seasoning :yum: I cut pita bread into wedges, spray with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with Mural of Flavor, then bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes till crispy. Really good with tzatziki. I've also used it on grilled chicken.

I got the Frozen Pizza Seasoning as a freebie recently. The other night, I sprinkled it on pork chops and then grilled them. Yummy.

I also bought a jar of sauerkraut a couple of weeks ago; DH likes it on hot dogs. It was bland so I told him to crack some Penzey's caraway seeds with the mortar and pestle and add that to the jar. It's getting better ;)

GG, I've got a jar of Mural of Flavor and love it, too. I'll have to try it on toasted pita wedges, that does sound good. I usually use it on chicken, I really like the citrus-y undertones.

"33rd and Galena" chicken and pork rub blend is good, too. :yum: Tellicherry black pepper, paprika, nutmeg, sage, cayenne, crushed red pepper.

I ordered a jar of freeze dried shallots last time, and love it. I like it with steamed veggies, and don't always have fresh shallots - this is a really good alternative.

Back
Top Bottom