"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I wasn't suggesting you use the wood board. You stated you never cut on it but put a plastic board on it to cut. Why not just put the wood board someplace to show it off and leave it there.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I don't know, there just seems to be something about wood that appeals to me. I like the big heavy feeling they have and it just seems more natural. Also the oil I bought for it smells amazing. Can't get that with plastic!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

What kind of oil do you use on your cutting boards to keep them from drying out?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Nope. You can't beat plastic for ease of maintenance plus they go in the dishwasher.

I've had a couple of my plastic ones for 30 years and they show no signs of wear beyond cut marks.

I have 2 wooden spoons and that's probably the only wood I'll ever use in my kitchen.
There was research done some years ago which showed that plastic chopping boards are more likely to harbour bacteria than wooden ones especially if it is scored by knives. (IIRC it was something to do with naturally occurring enzymes in the wood but don't quote me on that) Even going through the d/w bacteria can survive in the cuts made by knives whereas they don't survive in wood. It's no trouble to wash the wooden board down with hot soapy water after use and rinse and drain it. Cheap wooden boards don't much like this treatment but a good slab of hardwood, about an inch thick and cut on the grain will last you a lifetime - mine's nearly 40 years old and takes all you can throw at it and it doesn't absorb smells such as onion or garlic. I may bequeath it in my will to my god-daughter
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMariaSantiago View Post
What kind of oil do you use on your cutting boards to keep them from drying out?
I have never oiled my wooden chopping board in over 40 years of using it every day and it's scrubbed in hot soapy water after every use. It's never cracked or split or dried out in all those years.

It was a birthday gift so I don't know exactly what it cost but I know it was expensive.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I wasn't suggesting you use the wood board. You stated you never cut on it but put a plastic board on it to cut. Why not just put the wood board someplace to show it off and leave it there.
That's exactly what I was wondering.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I don't like the idea of using wooden utinsils. Wood absorbs liquids. plastics don't. It just bothers me that using wooden utinsils might just contaminate other foods.
In fact, research has shown that plastic is MORE bacteria friendly than wood and knives score the plastic which lets grot and bacteria get trapped in them and unlike cuts in wood, bacteria can thrive and multiply in the cuts in plastic.

UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research
and
http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/1107.html

Glass may be the best as far as cleaning is concerned but it will rapidly ruin your knives.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
^^ That's why I only use wood for cutting raw meat.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In fact, research has shown that plastic is MORE bacteria friendly than wood and knives score the plastic which lets grot and bacteria get trapped in them and unlike cuts in wood, bacteria can thrive and multiply in the cuts in plastic.

UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research
and
RELEASE: Study: Wood cutting boards, not plastic, are safer for food prep...
...from the UCDavis link: "Mechanical cleaning with a dishwashing machine can be done successfully with plastic surfaces (even if knife-scarred) and wooden boards especially made for this."

Good enough for me.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMariaSantiago View Post
I don't know, there just seems to be something about wood that appeals to me. I like the big heavy feeling they have and it just seems more natural. Also the oil I bought for it smells amazing. Can't get that with plastic!
If my cutting board smelled from the oil I'd probably get sick..

Tags
cook, cooking, cookware