"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,024
Alas. Have anyone ever written an "Ode to the dishwasher"?

I once told my daughter about my life long wish list. On it was and upstairs/downstairs maid. But first I wanted an upstairs and a downstairs. Then for downstairs I always wanted a dishwasher. So for my 50th birthday, all four kids and my sister all chipped in an got me a portable dishwasher. I had to wheel it over to the sink and hook it up. But I didn't care. I had me a dishwasher. It finally wore itself out. But I loved it for the ten or plus years I had it. It was a Sears Kenmore with a chopping block on top. But being on wheels it made it too high for me to use. So a pretty antique hand embroidered cloth was on top with my McCoy Wishing Well Cookie Jar sitting there in all its glory. I still have the cookie jar and antique cloth. And the memories of my fulfilled wish of a dish washer. The last time I checked, my cookie jar is a collectible worth $25. I paid the grand sum of $1.00 at a yard sale. For the antique hand embroidered cloth, I paid the $25.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #52
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
My mom had a Kenmore portable dishwasher for years, it also had the wood top. I remember hooking it up to the sink and plugging it into the wall. It also made a great movable island!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:33 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom had a Kenmore portable dishwasher for years, it also had the wood top. I remember hooking it up to the sink and plugging it into the wall. It also made a great movable island!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
All through my married life, the only brand of appliances I would buy was Kenmore. They always stood up for reliability. Kenmore seemed to be the appliance of choice for New Englanders. All my friends had them and every time I had to go to Sears, the appliance section was always full of folks where the Kenmore ones were. At that time they were made by RCA Whirlpool.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom had a Kenmore portable dishwasher for years, it also had the wood top. I remember hooking it up to the sink and plugging it into the wall. It also made a great movable island!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I couldn't fit a built-in dishwasher in my kitchen (it is the basement--looking for a new home). A friend and I both have portable dishwashers. We love that the dishwasher makes a moveable island in our small kitchens. When I use the dehydrator, it is parked on top of the dishwasher, ditto when I use the bread machine or my lefse griddle. During the draught (2012?), I would save the gray water and use it to water my flowers.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #55
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All through my married life, the only brand of appliances I would buy was Kenmore. They always stood up for reliability. Kenmore seemed to be the appliance of choice for New Englanders. All my friends had them and every time I had to go to Sears, the appliance section was always full of folks where the Kenmore ones were. At that time they were made by RCA Whirlpool.
My current Kenmore dishwasher is a Whirlpool. My mom's Maine kitchen was Kenmore, before that Gibson that was sold by the local furniture and appliance store until it wore out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #56
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I couldn't fit a built-in dishwasher in my kitchen (it is the basement--looking for a new home). A friend and I both have portable dishwashers. We love that the dishwasher makes a moveable island in our small kitchens. When I use the dehydrator, it is parked on top of the dishwasher, ditto when I use the bread machine or my lefse griddle. During the draught (2012?), I would save the gray water and use it to water my flowers.
It was always a great place to put an appliance and keep the counters clear.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #57
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,228
Probably a small point, but a bamboo board is not a wooden board, bamboo is a grass, and a bamboo board is more plastic than bamboo.

Neither bamboo nor plastic is easy on knives.

I use wood exclusively. Either ones I make myself, or cheap ones from Ikea. My knives stay sharp for years.
__________________
Bigjim68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Probably a small point, but a bamboo board is not a wooden board, bamboo is a grass, and a bamboo board is more plastic than bamboo.

Neither bamboo nor plastic is easy on knives.

I use wood exclusively. Either ones I make myself, or cheap ones from Ikea. My knives stay sharp for years.
And since bamboo isn't wood, it may not have the anti-microbial properties of wood.

I have one of those cheap, wood, Ikea cutting boards. I'm very happy with it. It's not very thick and, no, it doesn't stay put the way a heavy board does. However, a beech wood cutting board that measures ~1x27x45 cm (~.5"x11"x18") for about $7 seems like a really good deal to me.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #59
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And since bamboo isn't wood, it may not have the anti-microbial properties of wood.

I have one of those cheap, wood, Ikea cutting boards. I'm very happy with it. It's not very thick and, no, it doesn't stay put the way a heavy board does. However, a beech wood cutting board that measures ~1x27x45 cm (~.5"x11"x18") for about $7 seems like a really good deal to me.
The boards I buy are 18 x 20, cost around 10 bucks, and have a lip on one side that hangs over the front of the counter.

I think I read somewhere that a bamboo board is somewhere around 20% bamboo. The rest is plastic. Bamboo is terrible on edged tools. Ask anyone who has tried to saw down a few stalks. I would assume, although I don't know, that you are correct about the anti-microbial properties.
__________________
Bigjim68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #60
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I have one of those cheap, wood, Ikea cutting boards. I'm very happy with it. It's not very thick and, no, it doesn't stay put the way a heavy board does...
Put it on top of a silicone hot pad or two. I usually use plastic cutting boards; they will slide on my Formica. A number of Christmases ago, my SIL gave me a couple of the silicone potholders. They seem too stiff to me to use as potholders, but I find them very useful as hot pads or under the cutting boards to prevent slipping.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cooking, cookware

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.