Vacuum sealer buyer's guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rollbones, I did buy a bag and have grilled a couple of batches. They are OK, but still not an big as the fresh wings Costco used to have.

Rollbones, I did buy a bag and have grilled a couple of batches. They are OK, but still not an big as the fresh wings Costco used to have.

Almost all chicken parts are smaller than they used to be. I think that's just because they don't let them grow as large - faster to slaughter means that they can start the next batch sooner for a faster return on the investment. It's just a guess, but I'm going with it.

Almost all chicken parts are smaller than they used to be. I think that's just because they don't let them grow as large - faster to slaughter means that they can start the next batch sooner for a faster return on the investment. It's just a guess, but I'm going with it.

I don't see this at all. In our supermarket and others we visit from time to time, we never see small chickens. The boneless skinless chicken breasts are huge when compared to the norm from a few years ago. Had been looking for a small whole chicken, 3.5-4.0 pounds. The only way I could get one at our market was to buy a Bell and Evans which was much more expensive than the store brand.

RP current chickens are really genetic monstrosities, bread for small limbs and enormous breasts as most people cook chicken breasts and don't want to be bothered with a whole chicken, or drums and thighs.

TBS

Went to vegas for a week and wow this thread blew up haha

erehweslefox, on the buyers guide I wrote I give some tips on how you can save some money on bags. I show methods of using ziplock bags, even. I'm in the process of developing a tool to use that will allow you to seal flat bags easily, as well.

I also acknowledge that it is sorta crazy how much the bags cost, so I started a discount club for purchasing bags and rolls. It's sort of a strength in numbers thing where I will use the membership to demand lower prices for everyone. I've got some vendors interested and am preparing to arrange a sale on consumables soon. You can sign up here

I will say that sealing food and other supplies during hikes and camping has made a huge difference for me. I also make sure to plan that my ice melts into water that I can later use, but have had both my meal and my water ruined before :( I've been caught in a storm but was lucky enough to seal my matches and fire starting stuff and was able to start a fire despite the wood being wet.

Weird. The fresh wings were tiny in comparison to the frozen wings in our store. Are you buying the Kirkland frozen sections?
I just made a batch for the game last night and was asked where I found such jumbo wing sections.

I don't see this at all. In our supermarket and others we visit from time to time, we never see small chickens. The boneless skinless chicken breasts are huge when compared to the norm from a few years ago. Had been looking for a small whole chicken, 3.5-4.0 pounds. The only way I could get one at our market was to buy a Bell and Evans which was much more expensive than the store brand.

I agree. Chickens and chicken parts are huge as compared to years past. Wing sections however are small in general from my personal experience. Costco is where I get the wing sections as they are much bigger.
Last week our local grocery store had whole chickens and legs and thighs on sale. The smallest whole chicken I could find was 6 pounds.

erehweslefox, on the buyers guide I wrote I give some tips on how you can save some money on bags. I show methods of using ziplock bags, even. I'm in the process of developing a tool to use that will allow you to seal flat bags easily, as well.

I also acknowledge that it is sorta crazy how much the bags cost, so I started a discount club for purchasing bags and rolls. It's sort of a strength in numbers thing where I will use the membership to demand lower prices for everyone. I've got some vendors interested and am preparing to arrange a sale on consumables soon. You can sign up here

Good luck. Amazon and other web sites sell vacuum bags for excellent prices.
I saw a two roll set. 11.5 x 50 (2) for under $15.

Weird. The fresh wings were tiny in comparison to the frozen wings in our store. Are you buying the Kirkland frozen sections?
I just made a batch for the game last night and was asked where I found such jumbo wing sections...

Yes, a huge zippered plastic bag of wing sections (maybe 10 Lb.). Before Costco changed their chicken supplier, they sold fresh wings in vacuum packed six packs. Those wings were consistently bigger. I had switched from the frozen Kirkland wings to those fresh vacuum packed ones because I felt they were bigger and better. The wings were whole and you hand to cut them apart but it was worth it.

Now the fresh vac-pacs have cut up sections and are smaller.

At least here in MA/NH I cannot get the bigger wings. I've been using the frozen ones.

I will say that sealing food and other supplies during hikes and camping has made a huge difference for me. I also make sure to plan that my ice melts into water that I can later use, but have had both my meal and my water ruined before :( I've been caught in a storm but was lucky enough to seal my matches and fire starting stuff and was able to start a fire despite the wood being wet.

Signed up, I am looking to buy a sealer rig both for my home kitchen and backpacking. And, yeah, I've had my food and water both ruined by leaky bags on a hike. I tend to carry both hexamine tabs and a sqeeze bottle of kerosene for those 'lighting a fire in wet conditions' moments. And we have a MSR Dragonfly multifuel stove, which can burn darn near anything.

TBS

I have a sealer from the early 70's, so I guess that makes it going on 45 years old.

There is a crack in the rubber vacuum nozzle, the button to activate the heat is broken, I use a bent paper clip, and the heat wires at the very ends don't seem to get hot enough to always seal the plastics.

Also admit it doesn't always get all the air out but enough that I'm comfortable with freezing stuff if used within a reasonable time. Most often used to reseal bags that don't need the air pulled out.

I love it and seeing the prices of the new ones am striving to keeping it as long as I can! LOL I think I paid less than 30$ for it.

Excellent article thou - Thanks!

From what I understand, some of the vintage 70s sealers have become valuable and sought after. The early, nozzle-type FoodSavers were made in Italy and supposedly are real tanks.

I envy you! Would love to get my hands on one. Take good care of it! :chef:

I just ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPS32MI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these for $17, two 8" x 50' rolls. They got 4+ stars just like the brand FoodSaver bags but are a heck of a lot cheaper. We need to restock as I used all the 8" rolls we had from Craig's Grand Salami, and had to start on the last 11" roll we had too. I'll wait and see how these work and if they live up to their reviews before buying the 11" rolls.

I just ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPS32MI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these for $17, two 8" x 50' rolls. They got 4+ stars just like the brand FoodSaver bags but are a heck of a lot cheaper. We need to restock as I used all the 8" rolls we had from Craig's Grand Salami, and had to start on the last 11" roll we had too. I'll wait and see how these work and if they live up to their reviews before buying the 11" rolls.

I am using the 11" bags way more than the 8". In fact I have two rolls of 8" material left, yet had to buy more 11" because I had some racks of ribs to vacuum seal.
I roll the ribs up and tie them. Then vacuum seal them. The 8" bag is to small and I rarely use 8".
I really like the quart bags. Perfect for three chops or one thick cut steak.

I am using the 11" bags way more than the 8". In fact I have two rolls of 8" material left, yet had to buy more 11" because I had some racks of ribs to vacuum seal.
I roll the ribs up and tie them. Then vacuum seal them. The 8" bag is to small and I rarely use 8".
I really like the quart bags. Perfect for three chops or one thick cut steak.

My quart-size freezer bags are 7"x7.75".

My quart-size freezer bags are 7"x7.75".

I assume mine are too. I guess just using a longer piece off the 8" roll would give me the same thing as a quart bag.
For some reason I rarely use the 8" rolls.
I'm certain after this discussion, those 8" rolls will get used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom