Vacuum sealer buyer's guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just saw the thread about Vacuum Sealer bags by Roll_bones that reminded me of the buyer's guide that I read when I was trying to make a decision about what vacuum sealer to buy.

I thought it was really helpful and very detailed so maybe some of you might find it useful as well. Here is the link.

There's also a bags and roll discount club on that site too that you can sign up for. I'll occasionally get emails about bags or rolls being on sale for better prices than you can normally get and I'll stock up.

There's also a write up about Sous Vide that I didn't pay attention to before but sums it up nicely. Next time someone gives me that "I have no clue" look when I ask if they know what Sous Vide is I'll point them there lol

Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed it, and it looks to be very informative. I'll have to read it more carefully, as a vacuum sealer (and sous vide) is on the radar screen.

I have a sealer from the early 70's, so I guess that makes it going on 45 years old.

There is a crack in the rubber vacuum nozzle, the button to activate the heat is broken, I use a bent paper clip, and the heat wires at the very ends don't seem to get hot enough to always seal the plastics.

Also admit it doesn't always get all the air out but enough that I'm comfortable with freezing stuff if used within a reasonable time. Most often used to reseal bags that don't need the air pulled out.

I love it and seeing the prices of the new ones am striving to keeping it as long as I can! LOL I think I paid less than 30$ for it.

Excellent article thou - Thanks!

We were given our Food Saver. Really didn't use it much until we started buying bulk meat for grinding, making and portioning out for meals.

I had a really old model. After about 15-20 years I gave it to Spike. I found it too difficult to use. I am now looking for another one. I will look at the whole article before I make a decision. I am not one that just has to have the latest and greatest. Just one to meet my needs. :angel:

I use mine all the time, and love it. It's about 7 years old and still going strong. Fixin' to portion out 10 lbs of chicken thighs that I bought on sale yesterday for .69/lb. I have coconut, several kinds of nuts, fruits for smoothies....all kinds of things vacuum sealed in the freezer. If mine died tomorrow, I would replace it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed it, and it looks to be very informative. I'll have to read it more carefully, as a vacuum sealer (and sous vide) is on the radar screen.

Hey you are welcome, that's what this community is about. For the love of food and each other! :)

dragn> that made me laugh. You are hell bent on keeping that sucker (lolpuns) alive. Maybe it is time to let go :P

FoodSaver is a good brand to use if you aren't going to be sealing very much. I myself wound up picking up the VacMaster Pro 380. Though my tendency to spoil myself has got me eyeballing a chamber sealer hahaha.

I use it for more than just cooking, I seal documents and small parts too. It is great for prepping and hiking as well. Keeps matches sealed up and dry, makes my food take up less space etc.

I have a sealer from the early 70's, so I guess that makes it going on 45 years old.

There is a crack in the rubber vacuum nozzle, the button to activate the heat is broken, I use a bent paper clip, and the heat wires at the very ends don't seem to get hot enough to always seal the plastics.

Also admit it doesn't always get all the air out but enough that I'm comfortable with freezing stuff if used within a reasonable time. Most often used to reseal bags that don't need the air pulled out.

I love it and seeing the prices of the new ones am striving to keeping it as long as I can! LOL I think I paid less than 30$ for it.

Excellent article thou - Thanks!

Every now and again Costco and I'm certain others have a good sale on Vacuum sealers.
I got my basic sealer for $49 and its all I need.

Hey you are welcome, that's what this community is about. For the love of food and each other! :)

dragn> that made me laugh. You are hell bent on keeping that sucker (lolpuns) alive. Maybe it is time to let go :P

FoodSaver is a good brand to use if you aren't going to be sealing very much. I myself wound up picking up the VacMaster Pro 380. Though my tendency to spoil myself has got me eyeballing a chamber sealer hahaha.

I use it for more than just cooking, I seal documents and small parts too. It is great for prepping and hiking as well. Keeps matches sealed up and dry, makes my food take up less space etc.

Good suggestions for alternative uses.

My father would roll over in his grave if I didn't squeeze every last breath out of that little sucker (yeah, pun intended here too)

Every now and again Costco and I'm certain others have a good sale on Vacuum sealers.
I got my basic sealer for $49 and its all I need.

Costco does have some good prices if you are vigilant. But I'm not a member. I refuse to pay someone $65/70$ for the privilege of being coerced into purchasing more than I really need; being bamboozled by the convenience into using 6 tins in a week of something that under normal circumstances I would only use one; ... and I could go on ad naseum...

I will go once a year or even two years with a member. When I was a member and 4 kids at home I would walk out of there with a bill of $300. and use it all up in less than 2 weeks... where is the savings in that! Buyer beware.. I admit to no will power, I was not good at it and so just best stay away from it. OK, rant over. :ROFLMAO:

We have friends who are trans-oceanic sailors, and used a vacuum sealer for all kinds of things, including toilet paper. Things can get wet on a sailboat, and soggy TP isn't all that effective.

...Costco does have some good prices if you are vigilant. But I'm not a member. I refuse to pay someone $65/70$ for the privilege of being coerced into purchasing more than I really need; being bamboozled by the convenience into using 6 tins in a week of something that under normal circumstances I would only use one; ... and I could go on ad naseum...

That's a really negative ay to look at Costco membership. Certainly you have to have some self control and know which prices are good and which are not. Also, you have the opportunity to try different foods. The prices on electronics are often terrific.

When I had a membership with BJ's, the only to items I was ever interested in was electronics and dairy. Only if I had a real need for any other item, did I even consider BJ's first. :angel:

That's a really negative ay to look at Costco membership. Certainly you have to have some self control and know which prices are good and which are not. Also, you have the opportunity to try different foods. The prices on electronics are often terrific.

All I'm saying is that you should be able to save a lot more than a membership is going to cost to make it worth it.

Back when I had a young family and pressed for time, no, I'd have to say that I did not save money. I used up the goods too quickly because of their convenience, that's all. And a lot of my friends did too. But others I know did a good job of being frugal and spacing. For them it was and is totally worth it!

Are you saving money if you buy something at 30% off when you wouldn't have normally bought it in the first place? How many people do you know that say "Oh, I just couldn't pass it up - it was such a good price!" when they weren't even in the market for it!

If you can't control your spending and consumption, then you certainly should stay away from Costco. Those of us who can benefit from the bargains.

We have friends who are trans-oceanic sailors, and used a vacuum sealer for all kinds of things, including toilet paper. Things can get wet on a sailboat, and soggy TP isn't all that effective.

Now THAT is a benefit I hadn't thought of. What a great use for a sealer lol Soggy TP is misery indeed.

I kinda agree with Dragnlaw on this one. I prefer not to buy premade stuff where possible (though I do break that rule admittedly here and there. Especially things like dairy.) I find it is much cheaper to shop at produce markets and such.

Though! If I ate meat I could see holding out for a bargain at costco, buying up a bunch of stuff on sale and then portioning out into vacuum bags and sealing away for later.

Though! If I ate meat I could see holding out for a bargain at costco, ...

Truth to tell, they rarely have meat on special. I go with a friend and we compare prices. Sometimes but not often. They do have good meat, not like they used to (I agree with a previous post somewhere, their meat department was pretty scary at first!). Have gotten some good prices on their produce but you REALLY have to know what is out there. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.

For me, I don't buy meat or other perishables at Costco since it's so far away - 100 miles to the nearest one. I had a membership, but let it expire since I don't drive out of town on my own anymore, and only go when I'm visiting daughter and her family, and they come and get me. :) We go to Costco together and I just use her membership as a guest.

I stock up on sundries once or twice a year - paper towels, TP, vitamins, shampoo and rinse, facial cleanser wipes, etc. I also buy chicken and beef broth by the case, I know I'll use it and it keeps well. Lots of other things too, depending upon what time of year it is....now that the Christmas season is coming up I hope to go down there soon and hit Costco one more time for things like wrapping paper and some gifts for the grands. :)

Last edited:
Why thank you kind sir (I assume you are a sir, if not forgive me)

Your welcome. Yes, it is sir, but feel free to call me John.

Costco does have some good prices if you are vigilant. But I'm not a member. I refuse to pay someone $65/70$ for the privilege of being coerced into purchasing more than I really need; being bamboozled by the convenience into using 6 tins in a week of something that under normal circumstances I would only use one; ... and I could go on ad naseum...

I will go once a year or even two years with a member. When I was a member and 4 kids at home I would walk out of there with a bill of $300. and use it all up in less than 2 weeks... where is the savings in that! Buyer beware.. I admit to no will power, I was not good at it and so just best stay away from it. OK, rant over. :ROFLMAO:

I pay $100 a year and also carry the Costco Visa card. Executive membership to be exact. I am no executive either! :LOL:
I get two checks every year for using my card. One from Costco for being an executive member and one from the credit card company.
Each check is at minimum, double what my membership costs. Gasoline being the expense we require the most, we receive 4% cash back just on that.
I wish I could say we spend $300 each time we go! Its just my wife and myself and last time we went, the receipt was over $500.
We go only three times a year and know for a fact we are saving considerable money and buying higher quality products.
Try a Costco chicken vs your grocery store as an example.

Good point Andy. We only buy what we will use and we also get a coupon book in the mail each month. We are educated shoppers and have a list (Our Groceries) just for Costco.
There are many things in Costco we cannot get at our local grocery stores. I look around my office here and around the house and it truly is a Costco ad in the making.
Every TV in our house was purchased at Costco. Everything in my freezer was purchased at Costco. The tires on both our cars were purchased at Costco (that includes the free nitrogen) and tire maintenance.
The office equipment I am using at this very moment is also from Costco.
And lastly even though I am leaving many other things out, Costco stands behind everything they sell. Your not happy? You get your money back.
Exception is electronics. 30 days no questions asked. After 30 days manufacture warrantee required. Guess what? Costco will handle the manufacturer for you!

All I'm saying is that you should be able to save a lot more than a membership is going to cost to make it worth it.

Back when I had a young family and pressed for time, no, I'd have to say that I did not save money. I used up the goods too quickly because of their convenience, that's all. And a lot of my friends did too. But others I know did a good job of being frugal and spacing. For them it was and is totally worth it!

Are you saving money if you buy something at 30% off when you wouldn't have normally bought it in the first place? How many people do you know that say "Oh, I just couldn't pass it up - it was such a good price!" when they weren't even in the market for it!

We only buy what we need. Compulsive shopping problems require professional help.
Buying things you do not need is a shoppers problem and should not be blamed on the merchant.

Truth to tell, they rarely have meat on special. I go with a friend and we compare prices. Sometimes but not often. They do have good meat, not like they used to (I agree with a previous post somewhere, their meat department was pretty scary at first!). Have gotten some good prices on their produce but you REALLY have to know what is out there. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.

They never have meat on sale that I am aware of. No coupons either for meat.
Meat quality is excellent at our store and grocery stores cannot compete as far as quality.
My only issue with Costco is the farmed tiger shrimp and the Atlantic cod from Russia. The cod is good, but I don't like buying things harvested in Russia. You must read labels. Especially date codes!
Plus they need free customer WiFi.

I have found Costco products to be very consistent. Kirkland brand items meet or exceed many manufacturers products.

Oh....The Kirkland 3 LB Colombian coffee is still around $8. Try and find that deal somewhere else.

I'm a Costco member and I do agree you don't find bargain meat prices there, but you will find quality meat. I usually buy Choice beef on sale at Ralph's (Kroger's) at much lower prices but they're usually not as good as what you'll find at Costco for an equivalent grade of meat.
I guess you get what you pay for in these instances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom