"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Master Chef

After looking at several yellow cake recipes on line, I came across this one: FINALLY!!!!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake

I read the ingredient list and it makes sense. The instructions for putting it together make sense as well. I would try this at my home. It looks similar to my own from scratch yellow cake. I'm not home where I can verify if it's exactly the same or not though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I think that is one that I have tried and it is not bad. It is still just a little dense for what I am trying to make. Maybe a scratch cake is just not going to be as light as a box cake.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casp22 View Post
I think that is one that I have tried and it is not bad. It is still just a little dense for what I am trying to make. Maybe a scratch cake is just not going to be as light as a box cake.
If you want the cake really light, make a sponge cake or an angel food cake.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casp22 View Post
If you find it too heavy, switch to cake flour.

Another option is to use a southern AP flour such as White Lily. White Lily is sort of midway between actual cake flour and regular AP flour. Don't get the self rising sort.

Failing that, sub in 3/4 cup of your AP and 2 T of cornstarch for each 1 cup of flour called for in the recipe. Yes, I know that is slightly less than 1 full cup, but cornstarch weighs more than flour and I've found this works better than 7/8 c AP flour plus 2 T (1/8th cup) of cornstarch. YMMV.

A cake that uses shortening will tend to be lighter than one that uses butter. If you can lay your hands on High Ratio shortening, it will make it even lighter. Oil cakes tend to be heavy, in my experience. Moist, but heavy. You have oil AND butter in that recipe; if subbing in cake flour or some approximation thereof doesn't help, find a recipe that calls for shortening instead of butter and oil.

If at all possible, find a recipe that gives ingredients BY WEIGHT and not by volume; a little variation in how much flour is actually in your "1 cup" of flour can make a HUGE difference in something as finely balanced as a cake recipe.

Box cakes usually use cake flour and are loaded with additional emulsifiers, tenderizers, etc. Nevertheless you can easily make a light cake from scratch - if you start from the right recipe.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well even though this is an older thread, maybe this information can help.

There is a lesser known method referred to as "reverse creaming". This process, instead of creaming the butter and sugar until fluffy, you combine the flour, sugar, leavening and salt together and add softened butter. Then you add the milk, eggs and flavoring that have been mixed together. This creates a soft texture more reminiscent of a box cake, but with better flavor.

The OP used what is called the 1234 cake. The biggest mistake here is often the creaming is done improperly. The butter and sugar should be creamed until very fluffy, up to 5 minutes. What you are doing here is creating bubbles, without these bubbles, you are relying on just the leavening to create bubbles and you'll get a dense cake. With that said, this will never be as soft and fluffy as a boxed cake.

My preferred method for vanilla (white or yellow), is the foam method. I either whip the eggs by themselves for a solid 5 minutes with the kitchenaid, and add the sugar slowly creating what looks like a very soft whipped cream, or I whip the egg whites separately and fold in at the end. These methods create a beautiful, light spongy texture, and doesn't rely on tons of butter for moistness.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote