"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 03:47 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
First, let's go back and ask how long we're talking about keeping produce? And where in the refrigerator have you been storing them And what temperature is the fridge set to?

Celery and carrots should both go two weeks wrapped in plastic. (Carrot tops removed.) Oranges and lemons can go anywhere up to two months (one is more likely) in the vegetable crisper drawer which should be around 38F or so. Onions are trickier. First, there are different kinds of onions, and some store better than others. It's kind of an experiment to see if you have the kind of cool, dry place that works well for them stored with plenty of air circulation or if the refrigerator works best for you. In neither case should they be in plastic. Don't expect more than a few days out of green beans without freezing. Personally, if I was going to have freeze green beans, I'd just buy frozen to begin with.

And if you want to try something with green onions, get a jar, like a quart jar, of water. Trim the green back enough to fit in the jar, and cover the top with plastic. See if you get two or three weeks or more out of them.

Tomatoes are problematic if you like really flavorful ones. They like 60F, which is likely lower than your kitchen and much higher than anywhere in the refrigerator. So they go out at room temperature out of the light and can go into the warmest part of the refrigerator to hold them another day or two after they become fully ripe. (But not in with the other vegetables. Tomatoes outgas to the detriment of many others.)

And vegetables need humidity. If your crisper has a sliding adjustment that opens and closes an opening. closed is more humid.

All this is of course aside from freezing. I rarely freeze anything.
Very useful tips. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #12
Master Chef

I realize that this is an old thread and that DumbSheila is probably much smarter today than she was in 2012 but here are my thoughts on this topic.

Don't worry about storing fresh produce, eat it!

Prep fresh fruits and vegetables so you can reach in the refrigerator and grab what you need for a quick side or snack.

Serve celery, onions and carrots, cooked in a little chicken stock/bouillon, as a side dish.

Use odds and ends from the vegetable crisper for a weekly stir fry.

Once a week make a batch of Fridg Soup!

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/...n_Fridge_Soup/

Finally, If you find you really don't use fresh produce that often then stop buying it until you have a specific need. Check the salad bar in a large supermarket and fill a container with a few peppers,celery, onions, mushrooms etc... that you need for a specific recipe. Experiment with celery seed, dehydrated onion, bottled lemon juice, etc...

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Cook

Really depends on the produce.

Root vegetables (carrots, beets, parsnip, turnip, etc....) Large plastic box with a tight lid filled with about 4 inches of play sand that has been baked at 450 degrees for an hour to kill unwanted bacteria. (bake it once a month) burry root vegetables in the sand and refrigerate. They keep 2-3 months that way.

Wild prone greens like green onions, spinach, leaf lettuce etc... 2-3 damp paper towels in a zip lock bag with them and, use a drinking straw to remove as much air as you can - effectively vacuum sealing them.

Others, just use the zip lock bag and straw method to vacuum seal them.

If they are for stew or soup, you can cut them to size and either blanch and freeze or can them in jars with the stock of your choice. They will need pressure caning if you choose to do that.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Master Chef

If your refrigerator is cold enough, most anything will less good 3-4 weeks. If you cannot use stuff during that time, it means you should not be buying that stuff at all or buy much less.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
Head Chef

I started doing this about a year ago and stuff has been lasting longer since. When I tear a few leaves off a head, or stalks off a bunch, I turn the bag inside out so the stuff is always touching dry plastic.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote