"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Head Chef

I'll answer since he's gone for the day. No and no. We've done this for years and years and it always works. A restaurateur at a place known for its prime rib told him this a long time ago. Oh, don't open the oven if you don't absolutely need to.

The only thing is that low and long cook causes problems with sides that you might want to put in the oven. So, we work around that. Either do everything else on stove or partially pre-cook then finish/warm up in the 200 oven or if it's something like the mushroom bread pudding that we normally make with the prime rib then let it cook for a lot longer than normal.

Oh, you can also use less expensive cuts like eye of round and roast that way. Obviously, it won't be as tender as prime rib but it still comes out pretty darned good.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Head Chef

I was going to do roasted sweet potato/carrots/squash in duck fat.

Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to make up my mind soon!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I use this method and it works every time for med-rare. Beef or lamb. Heat oven to 500F and cook roasts for 5 minutes. Drop temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I'll answer since he's gone for the day. No and no. We've done this for years and years and it always works. A restaurateur at a place known for its prime rib told him this a long time ago. Oh, don't open the oven if you don't absolutely need to.

The only thing is that low and long cook causes problems with sides that you might want to put in the oven. So, we work around that. Either do everything else on stove or partially pre-cook then finish/warm up in the 200 oven or if it's something like the mushroom bread pudding that we normally make with the prime rib then let it cook for a lot longer than normal.

Oh, you can also use less expensive cuts like eye of round and roast that way. Obviously, it won't be as tender as prime rib but it still comes out pretty darned good.
Never heard of this method? So 500 for 5 minutes and then at 200 per pound?
And you guys did say medium rare?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Never heard of this method? So 500 for 5 minutes and then at 200 per pound?
And you guys did say medium rare?
You can check the temp with an instant read. Remember, it will increase temp while resting. Always rest it for at least 15 minutes before carving.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Always rest it for at least 15 minutes before carving.
I'm always amazed at the different 'resting' times mentioned - anywhere from 10 min. to 25+ min. WoW.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Sous Chef

there is no WoW.

statements made are not "science" - only opinion and perhaps experience.

"resting" time will depend on type of meat, size of meat, how hot it was to start, how hot you want it at service.

"resting" is good.
some people sleep/rest two hours per day.
some people sleep/rest 20 hours per day.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
I use this method and it works every time for med-rare. Beef or lamb. Heat oven to 500F and cook roasts for 5 minutes. Drop temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound.
Very interesting...
Craig, does the meat need to start out at room temperature?

This is the formula I use for really spectacular Prime Rib every time, which sounds similar but I don't know if it would work for anything else.

Video: Perfect Prime Rib - Allrecipes.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

2 Temperatures needed dilemma

I'd cook at 375 but would check which one of the two oven racks has the lowest temperature using an oven thermometer. If not, just cook at 350 and test using a meat thermometer for done-ness as mentioned above.

I had found this quick and handy guide for roasting which turned out to be quite good! http://www.mygreekdish.com/cooking-t...perfect-roast/
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
ARGHHHH!!!!!!
Only have one oven but want to cook 2 different meats for Christmas.

A standing rib which calls for 400, will probably cook for about 2 hours. Cooked on a bed of onions. (Nigella Lawson's recipe)
A rolled boneless leg of lamb, starts off at 450 then goes down to 350 for about an hour. The lamb is browned and then covered in foil. (Lynn Crawford's recipe)

Any suggestions???? can I split the difference and use 375 and adjust the times? Not sure what to do. Seeing as both will be on the medium rare side, I don't want to cook one and then reheat. I've always done this for turkey. (So much easier cooking the turkey the day before!) But I worry I will overcook one of the roasts in the reheating.
I would probably use the temps for the lamb for both and use the timings only as a guide.

When you think about it, taking into account the time the lamb spends at 450 there isn't going to be that much difference in the given cooking times between the two meats. Most people like their beef a little pink (or even a lot pink) whereas, only weirdos like me like lamb that way.

In the end it all depends on the size of your joints (of meat, silly, not the illegal sort ). The timing largely depends on the weight of the lumps of meat with allowance made for the thickness/density.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Master Chef

This is yet another case where I wish the OP had let us know the outcome. sigh.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature