"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

2 Temperatures needed dilemma

ARGHHHH!!!!!!
Only have one oven but want to cook 2 different meats for Christmas.

A standing rib which calls for 400, will probably cook for about 2 hours. Cooked on a bed of onions. (Nigella Lawson's recipe)
A rolled boneless leg of lamb, starts off at 450 then goes down to 350 for about an hour. The lamb is browned and then covered in foil. (Lynn Crawford's recipe)

Any suggestions???? can I split the difference and use 375 and adjust the times? Not sure what to do. Seeing as both will be on the medium rare side, I don't want to cook one and then reheat. I've always done this for turkey. (So much easier cooking the turkey the day before!) But I worry I will overcook one of the roasts in the reheating.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I assume you have meat thermometer(s). You can cook all at 400F. You shouldn't cook based on time. Use of thermometers will ensure proper doneness.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks Andy, yes, I do have and use regularly my meat thermometers.

I gave the times merely as guides for as to how long each would be in the oven... trying to juggle.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would say that since the lamb is covered in foil after browning it will do just fine at 400, it will just cook a bit quicker, so take that into account.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Sous Chef

>>suggestions...?

or may I offer a bit of 'reality?"

first, I've never done a prime / standing rib at 400'F
yup, recipes / methods abound.
but realitywise, it is also possible to do a prime rib "low&slow" - something like 235-265'F - time is longer. control is better.

I don't see an inherent conflict with roasting a standing beef and lamb in the same oven.

except.....as you point out - getting it all to be "done" at the same 'end time'

it can be done. make two-three hundred practice runs with the exact same size & weights & "treatment", you'll get it down pat.

as that may be impractical within the time frame.... my approach would be:
use a low&slow approach
optimally 'permanent' probe thermometers in each roast
...and hopefully 'properly' placed
monitor / graph the temps vs time
remove-to-retard-cooking one or the other or both based on what the internal temp 'curve' suggests.

faced with a "no experience no trials" situation and a final "deadline" time point, starting early and "delaying" will work.

starting "late" cannot work as one cannot reverse time should things not come up to temp as expected.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post

it can be done. make two-three hundred practice runs with the exact same size & weights & "treatment", I'll get it down pat.
OK.... let me know your results by next Mon....
Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

I see you are in Montreal, so I'm guessing my choice for using your outdoor covered grill as an oven is out. How about a neighbor's oven?

Frankly, if it were me, I'd choose one meat or the other for such an important company meal considering overcooking either one of them could be a real disappointment.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Head Chef

I used to use my BBQ in winter, not any more. These Stainless Steel BBQ's don't hold heat like the cast iron ones can.

I live in the country and I can walk to my neighbour's but the meat would probably be cold by the time I get back . In actual fact one year she was having a huge lamb and we cooked half of it in my oven. And yes, I did take it over in the car.

Going for groceries today. Will take a look and see what's available. Nothing is written in stone in my kitchen .
Old 12-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I use this method and it works every time for med-rare. Beef or lamb. Heat oven to 500F and cook roasts for 5 minutes. Drop temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Head Chef

Are they covered? They don't dry out???

I'll try it - but not for Christmas.

Tags
temperature