"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Wine Guy
2014 Thanksgiving Leftovers

So the feast has passed and now all we have are the memories - and lots of leftovers. I'm just curious how everyone is planning to use them.

I brought home a turkey carcass and two ham bones, as well as a couple of large ziplocs full of meat. There was also some root vegetables. This morning I made stock from the bones and veggies. Now I am making soup. Some will be eaten tonight, some will be frozen, and some will be sent home with daughter.

Soup #1 is sort of a mock Pozole stew. To the turkey stock, I added 2 cups of shredded turkey and a can of tomato sauce. Rather than hominy, I subbed a bag of frozen cauliflower florets that was unused from a cauliflower dish I made. I chopped it into hominy sized pieces and if you weren't paying close attention, you would not know it wasn't the real thing. I seasoned with a couple of tablespoons of ground ancho chile, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, and Mexican oregano.

Soup #2 is ham and broccoli cheese soup. This was made using the ham stock, cream, and cheese for the base. I added chopped ham, a head of broccoli (chopped), green onions, and crumbled bacon.

We also had brown and wild rice pilaf left over. Daughter mixed it with some of the turkey and a can of cream-of-something soup and that's what she and a friend had for lunch. She called it "risotto." I wouldn't call it that, but I have to admit it looked pretty appetizing.

What are you doing with YOUR leftovers?

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Master Chef
I'm pretty boring, my plan is to plow through most of the leftovers by reheating a plate in the microwave.

This morning I did make stock and tomorrow, after I remove the fat, I will freeze it for soup.

I also sliced one side of the breast and popped it into the freezer for future meals.

By Monday I will be ready for something that goes moo!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
We scored a smoked turkey carcass and a small container of leftovers from my cousin's, and are currently enroute home. I also have a packet of turkey gravy mix that in hindsight I should have mixed up for the gravy-less dinner. I'll make a layered casserole for a July surprise, and will cook up the carcass for stock.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Head Chef
I used the stock and some dark meat to make a soup like yukgaejang. Wife thought I was crazy until she tried it (she went back for seconds).
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
My grandson sent home a plate for The Pirate after he returned from the hospital. He went with me in the ambulance. They piled the plate high. He said the white meat was so tender and juicy. All the food was really good. Well, at least one member of the family got to eat their delicious food. I need to call and see if they will send me a plate of leftovers.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Since we went to his cousin's we don't have any leftovers. ;)
ShannaLee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I can't believe it. We must have left the leftovers in BIL's car from when he drove us to and from my cousin's yesterday. DH and I just got home from a 3 hour drive, have torn everything apart, and can't find the little container anywhere. Drat.

We should probably let BIL know that there may be food in his car, at least sometime before July.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
I always have to make my turkey stew from the carcass. Also, turkey sandwiches, sometimes a casserole, and turkey salad can always manifest at some point.

Sometimes I think the leftovers are the best part!

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
My mom will likely make turkey soup from the carcass tomorrow. The rest gets heated up as a repeat of thanksgiving dinner, we eat the leftovers until gone and love every minute of it!
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Head Chef
Today I made Turkey Soup:

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote

leftovers, thanksgiving