2017 Spring Holiday Menus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy Holiday. Please share your Holiday Menus.

I celebrate Good Friday and Easter. Items with asterisk are new dishes. Here are my tentative menus.

Good Friday

Stuffed Mushrooms
Stuffed clams
*Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Paella (picture below of what finished dish should look like)
Greek Salad
Garlic Bread
*Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Easter

Colored eggs
Mom's Italian Easter Meat Pie
Stuffed artichokes (this year I will be cooking them in the Instant Pot)
Eye Round Roast
Burgundy Gravy
Mashed or Baked Potatoes (chives & sour cream)
Steamed baby spinach
*Instant Pot Samoa Cheesecake (picture below of what finished dish should look like)

img_1506477_0_f3649dc685b8682f4c9fc703c4f88897.jpg

img_1506477_1_f7fed316187e7cdd9f577bf2ce9d3a95.jpg

I will update the pictures with mine after I make the dishes ... if they turn out good.

:angel:

Good Friday:
Lunch: Corn chowder with nachos and bacon.

Dinner: Springrolls.

Easter eve:
Lunch: Egg lunch ( in Sweden we eat warm boiled egg for lunch, not hide them)
It be egg, toppings: fish roe paste, mayo, hotsauce, bacon and herbs , bread, lamb meatballs and maybe sliced lamb roast.
Dessert: Paper egg filled with candy or nuts.

Dinner: spatchcock turkey, yorkies, roasties, 2 vegs and gravy.
Dessert. Lemon curd mouse cake and for me ice cream or nothing ( depending on my belly).

Easter day: Left over lunch and we are going home so dinner will be what ever we have at home in the freezer that is quick.

There won't be any special meals here. If I don't get at least 1 day off from work, I don't consider it a holiday.:ROFLMAO:

No clue. The holiday meal-go-round has begun. On child suggested pork roast and the other vetoed that. The other suggested a "some kind of chicken", not sure what that means. Not sure I want to do chicken marsala for a crowd though I know that'd be a hit. I may grill some pork kebabs. I've done that before.

I've had to deal with food restrictions from both daughters and my SIL on holidays when we get together. Now we have our GD staying with us and she as some of all their dislikes and some of her own.

Last edited:
I'm having 11 dinner guests for Easter, somewhat potluck style. I'm making a roast leg of lamb and a ham. I'll also be providing the wine. The guests are bringing sides, salads, apps, and desserts.

I don't celebrate Good Friday, although I have the day off.

A repeat of last year.

Ham
Kielbasa
Cauliflower Gratin
Maple glazed carrots
Cabbage salad
Pickles, olives, horseradish
Mixed berries with cream

With all our combined family scattered, we don't plan any holiday meals now unless we make plans with another couple.. Some may think it unfortunate but, we really don't celebrate holidays..

I love my SIL, but if I don't invite them and I do the cooking, we just don't get together. Last time we got together was Thanksgiving. I had them over, made the entire dinner, she brought the pie. Then I get to clean everything up. It gets old. So am I. :LOL: I'm now trying to decide if I want to do the whole shebang for Easter or have it be just Himself and me. BTW, his sis and BIL live right up the street from us. About 1200 feet away. It's not like they drive all day. :rolleyes:

With all our combined family scattered, we don't plan any holiday meals now unless we make plans with another couple.. Some may think it unfortunate but, we really don't celebrate holidays..
This is how I feel about holidays we don't spend with our kids back home in OH. Christmas/their birthday/New Year's is the only visit written in ink. Our other trip is once during the summer. When? Depends on travel weather and doctor appointments. :LOL:

Not sure of a complete menu yet, but I am sure it will involve a bone in picnic ham. That's what my daughter and I always get, and we share the leftovers. We love ham sandwiches for the next couple of days most of all :yum:, then the nice sized chunks and little bits and pieces get bagged up and frozen for omelets, casseroles and soups.

Asparagus and roasted yams (no marshmallows allowed :ermm::LOL:) will probably be on the menu.

She makes a couple of sides, and so do I. Sometimes the dinner is at her house a mile away, and sometimes my house. Not sure yet where it's going to be this year, but probably her house. Wherever it is, we share clean up, too.

Last edited:
I love my SIL, but if I don't invite them and I do the cooking, we just don't get together...
AND my SIL just made a liar out of me. :LOL: I guess I stalled long enough, because we just got off the phone. She called to see if we wanted to come over for Easter dinner. Of course we're going!

Now I have to decide what to take. She said all I have to bring is Himself, but I'm thinking an appy or dessert might be good, too.

AND my SIL just made a liar out of me. :LOL: I guess I stalled long enough, because we just got off the phone. She called to see if we wanted to come over for Easter dinner. Of course we're going!

Now I have to decide what to take. She said all I have to bring is Himself, but I'm thinking an appy or dessert might be good, too.

Maybe she reads here! :ohmy::ermm::LOL:

I'm having 11 dinner guests for Easter, somewhat potluck style. I'm making a roast leg of lamb and a ham. I'll also be providing the wine. The guests are bringing sides, salads, apps, and desserts.

I don't celebrate Good Friday, although I have the day off.

Got room for 12 guests? ;)

CD

On Easter Sunday, I'll probably get out of bed around noon. I stopped telling my mom I went to sunrise church service about ten years ago.

If the weather is good, I'm thinking it is way past due for me to brine and cook a whole chicken on the rotisserie. I brine in sea salt, raw sugar, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary. I stuff the bird with chunks of onion, fresh lemons and rosemary sprigs. Then, it gets tied, and skewered, and goes on the Weber Kettle rotisserie to turn and roast.

The biggest challenge is getting the chicken onto a plate. I tend to eat and carve these chickens at the same time.

CD

What's on your Easter Menu?

For those celebrating Easter I'm looking for some ideas on what to make. What will you be making?

For those celebrating Easter I'm looking for some ideas on what to make. What will you be making?
Probably cheese sandwiches - I have 4 days of intensive decorating before me. Dining room - paint; bathroom - wallpaper; kitchen - stripping the ghastly '70s embossed paper with inumerable layers of paint on it. Oh what fun!

I dunno, Whiska, I like simplicity. One thread a year per holiday is probably better than dusting an old one off from a few years back. Too many cooks and all that rot. ;)

For what it's worth, this one is the first one that started making the rounds for 2017:

2017 Spring Holiday Menu

I especially like the way MsM put the current year in the subject box. :cool:

I've ordered 3 racks of milk lamb from the butcher, first course, Parma ham and melon, second, tagliatelle with butter and grated Parmesan, then the racks of lamb, local cheeses, and finally, Bonet (chocolate and ammaretti dessert).
Wines: light white wine to start, then Barolo, then Gavi, and to finish, Moscato Naturale - all wines sourced within a radious of 3 miles. Should be ok. 4 guests, and a nice celebration.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom