"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
A great carrot cake recipe that has no raisins... anyone?

Have never heard of such a thing. Maybe sub pineapple tidbits? Or dried pineapple?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Everymom

Are nuts ok? I have a great carrot cake recipe with no raisins (I loathe cooked raisins) but mom always subbed in nuts for me. I'll go find it and post for you.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Sous Chef

What cooking equipment is available in the camping situation? Will you be cooking over a camp fire? On a camp stove? In a plush RV? As far as the cake goes, I would go with the cupcakes and not worry that the cup cakes are incorporated in the breakfast. Just serve them after breakfast with coffee. Let people frost their own cupcakes the same way as they would butter a biscuit. Some will leave it off, some will lightly coat and some will pile it on.
If you have the equipment boil in a bag omelets work with lots of people, with many tastes while camping.
All you have to do is leave out the raisins. In fact, pour a few cupcakes with no raisins for the celebrant and add raisins to the rest before baking.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Are nuts ok? I have a great carrot cake recipe with no raisins (I loathe cooked raisins) but mom always subbed in nuts for me. I'll go find it and post for you.
Yes - nut are Ok, in fact she is partial to black walnuts and so I'd like to include those.... If you have a great recipe, please share. I've never actually made a carrot cake ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
What cooking equipment is available in the camping situation? Will you be cooking over a camp fire? On a camp stove? In a plush RV?
Cooking options are an outdoor camp stove or in my camper which is a 50 year old Airstream. It's not posh - sort of rugged actually but has an oven, stove (with under-powered burners), a small fridge (think dorm size) and running water.

Quote:
As far as the cake goes, I would go with the cupcakes and not worry that the cup cakes are incorporated in the breakfast. Just serve them after breakfast with coffee. Let people frost their own cupcakes the same way as they would butter a biscuit. Some will leave it off, some will lightly coat and some will pile it on.
Several folks have suggested cupcakes, but this is a special b-day and deserves a full cake with her deserved three score compliment of candles.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
Senior Cook

If you want a cake then you could bake the layers ahead of time and freeze them. You could frost the cake when you arrive at the camp site. Carrot cakes usually have cream cheese frosting so after the cake is frosted, it should probably be refrigerated. You could make a flat cake -- 9"X13". That would probably be easier to transport and would have more room for the candles.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Many members of our family do not care for raisins, I've tried this recipe from America's Test Kitchen and it's wonderful, just leave the dried currants out.
April Takes The Cake: Carrot Layer Cake from America's Test Kitchen
To serve as your breakfast entree, I recently found this on Pinterest.
Impossibly Easy Breakfast Bake (Crowd Size) recipe from Betty Crocker
Does anyone remember Bisquick Impossible Pies?
I'm going make this recipe for our crowd on Thanksgiving morning.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a whole bunch of ideas for you until I discovered a yearling black bear on my front lawn. That sort of distracted me.

This is my favourite carrot cake recipe:

Recipe Details

The Saints stole this off the table more than once.

But, if that one doesn't appeal to you, here are some more that are most likely very good:

Recipe Search Results=

And I like these:

Recipe Search Results=

Recipe Details

Recipe Details

Recipe Details

I have made all of these many times.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #18
Master Chef

She loves carrot cake, so make her carrot cake, sort of. Here's a recipe that's the same as I use, sans coconut, and I cut the cooking oil amount in half. It's still very good, and the icing is sound - Carrot Pineapple Cake I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I'm not home and so don't have the recipe I use available. But this one looks very close.

Here's where I make it a breakfast idea. Rather than baking the cake, freezing it, and then frosting it. Take the batter, and cook it on a griddle, as pancakes, though you might want to par-boil the shredded carrot for a couple minutes, then chill before adding to the batter. Add a little milk to the frosting to make it flow more easily. Top the pancakes with the frosting. Serve with bacon, sausage, or both.

If you're unsure of this whole thing, when no one is around, make a mini batch of the batter and do test pancakes at home.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to say, as a "non-sweet" eater, I absolutely love carrot cake but asbolutely HATE it when it has pineapple added.

Tags
fast