"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

The meals I'm testing this week include only one ingredient I don't have in the house--fresh curry leaves (I have dried and I have frozen, but no fresh ones). However, I have a full spice cupboard and condiment supply. The recipes are supposed to take 30-45 minutes from prep time to finish. Both the meals I'm testing this week are Indian. Neither are ones I've made before at home, so I get to try new dishes. Mind you, I have to shop for the ingredients so it is not quite the same experience as one would get having the ingredients delivered to the door (I do get paid for my time and reimbursed for the ingredients). My biggest challenge is sticking to the recipe, noting where something is missing, not clear so I can edit the recipe after I am done, and keeping track of how long it takes to accomplish each task.

The quantity of the amount of food that the company for which I am doing this packs in the box usually means leftovers, so one can usually get the evening meal and lunch out of each main dish. Also, if skewers, cheesecloth, or butcher twine is needed, that is included. What generally is not included is salt, pepper, vegetable or olive oil, butter. However, when ghee is needed, that is included, as are specialty oils. That seems to be on par with others that are doing this.

I am actually quite excited about this gig (it is only 1 day a week). It gets me in the kitchen playing with food.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
Executive Chef

CWS, That sounds like fun and dinner is paid for. In your review, do you get to add comments like how you think a recipe might be improved. Or made easier so it fits a "general" cooking audience.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #13
Master Chef

I'm with Aunt Bea - I'd rather spend the time than the money. "Blue Apron" is an interesting option for people who don't have a pantry full of Penzeys spices and Trader Joe condiments, plus access to a limited selection of food items. For me personally, not so much.

My major shopping is done at a store 8 miles away. I get 25+ miles a gallon with my car, so gas round-trip is around $3. I rarely spend over $100 a week (last three weeks have been $55 to $60 because I'm trying to clean out some things from the freezer) and I manage at least five full meals, with leftovers, plus our breakfasts and snacks for two from that $100. Besides, I'm one heck of a picky shopper. I must spend around a half-hour in the produce section making sure every little thing is perfect to the point of doing a sniff test on some fruits to make sure they don't smell "green". Then again, about half my cart is produce by the time I roll up to the check-outs.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Those sound pretty complete to include twine and skewers, CW.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
CWS, That sounds like fun and dinner is paid for. In your review, do you get to add comments like how you think a recipe might be improved. Or made easier so it fits a "general" cooking audience.
Yes, Whiska, I do get to comment, recommend changes, etc. I also edit the recipes for clarity, etc. I am in the audition phase (there is one other person who made it to the audition stage). I am hoping this will be a long relationship. I contacted the company because I thought it would be fun and a win-win. I would get to play with new recipes and the company would get someone with strong editing skills and who knows her way around the kitchen as a home cook. My two passions combined, work does not get any more fun than that.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...My two passions combined, work does not get any more fun than that.
Sounds like it's even wrong to call it "work". Hope you get picked to go on, CW!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I am having so flipping much fun working "behind the scenes" with a local company that does this. (This is not a "job"--rather a one-day-a-week gig, but so much fun--gotta love getting paid to do something that feels like play). The biggest kick for me is having a professional photographer photograph food I prepare. What a high! But, I am also enjoying giving feedback on the recipes and finding local sources for ingredients. I am grateful I passed the audition and am now officially part of the team. I see this relationship as an opportunity to up my cooking skills a notch. And, I think for those who subscribe to the service, their cooking skills will get notched up a notch as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am having so flipping much fun working "behind the scenes" with a local company that does this. (This is not a "job"--rather a one-day-a-week gig, but so much fun--gotta love getting paid to do something that feels like play). The biggest kick for me is having a professional photographer photograph food I prepare. What a high! But, I am also enjoying giving feedback on the recipes and finding local sources for ingredients. I am grateful I passed the audition and am now officially part of the team. I see this relationship as an opportunity to up my cooking skills a notch. And, I think for those who subscribe to the service, their cooking skills will get notched up a notch as well.
Good for you. Glad you are enjoying it but what is a "blue apron meal"?
Old 05-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Good for you. Glad you are enjoying it but what is a "blue apron meal"?
You didn't click on the link. The concept is that the ingredients and recipe get delivered to your home, you have to cook them. As a subscriber, you get to try different recipes and not worry about having all the spices, etc., on hand. And, the recipe has been tested and tweaked.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
You didn't click on the link. The concept is that the ingredients and recipe get delivered to your home, you have to cook them. As a subscriber, you get to try different recipes and not worry about having all the spices, etc., on hand. And, the recipe has been tested and tweaked.
Since the link is WAY back in this thread (and who ever reads all the previous posts before replying anyway )

Here is the link.

Blue Apron: Fresh Ingredients, Original Recipes, Delivered to You

I can see where this might be a good idea for people who work and don't have to live on a limited budget.

Tags
meals