"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
"Blue Apron" meals

I found this to be interesting.
Blue Apron: Fresh Ingredients, Original Recipes, Delivered to You

Kind of a neat concept including all the ingredients plus the recipe delivered right to your door. I didn't do much else but look at the page I linked, but I imagine you can choose cuisines or choose meals from a list so they aren't sending you something you do not want to eat.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I found this to be interesting.
Blue Apron: Fresh Ingredients, Original Recipes, Delivered to You

Kind of a neat concept including all the ingredients plus the recipe delivered right to your door. I didn't do much else but look at the page I linked, but I imagine you can choose cuisines or choose meals from a list so they aren't sending you something you do not want to eat.
$9.99 per person per meal, way too spendy for your old Aunt Bea!

I guess I've had too much of that Scotch broth with barley from Campbell's!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I found this to be interesting.
Blue Apron: Fresh Ingredients, Original Recipes, Delivered to You

Kind of a neat concept including all the ingredients plus the recipe delivered right to your door. I didn't do much else but look at the page I linked, but I imagine you can choose cuisines or choose meals from a list so they aren't sending you something you do not want to eat.
You still have to cook, right? Well, then what are YOU guys for, huh?
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
If one goes out to a restaurant, it would probably be difficult to have the meals featured for that price.

There is a company where I live that works with local chefs to deliver the ingredients and recipes for different meals. The company works with local suppliers (farmers, meat and cheese producers, etc.) to source the ingredients and local chefs to develop the recipes. The recipes are then tested by home cooks for ease of preparation, taste, portion size, and then the menu item is offered to the subscribers.

If a person wants to try Indian or Thai cuisine but doesn't have the spices or other ingredients on hand, having those included in the order means the person doesn't have to buy more than is needed for the recipe. I can see the value for those who are trying to eat healthier and are not sure where to start. People whose lives have thrown them a curve ball and grocery shopping and meal planning are just one more thing they have to squeeze into a hectic life (family member in hospital, etc.). And those who want to get a meal on the table without the time it takes to do the shopping, chopping, and figuring out what to substitute for an ingredient because it didn't make it on the shopping list.

Sourcing local ingredients can be very time consuming. Having someone else do all the legwork can make sense. Meal planning and shopping for some is just another chore and one that is not enjoyable.

I am biased--I am test driving some of the local company's recipes and providing editing services for the recipes once I've test driven them. It gives me a chance to combine two things I enjoy--playing with words and playing with food and earn some extra $ at the same time.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
$9.99 per person per meal, way too spendy for your old Aunt Bea!

I guess I've had too much of that Scotch broth with barley from Campbell's!
Heck, every time I want tacos for dinner it's a $15 bill at the store... and I have half the stuff. I figure ten bucks a meal isn't *too* bad as long as it's somewhat above the usual fare. Not necessarily gourmet, but not exactly plain either. That's figuring in driving to pick up the stuff.
I think 2-3 meals a week would suit me. It sure would help when the cooking rut sets in.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If one goes out to a restaurant, it would probably be difficult to have the meals featured for that price.

There is a company where I live that works with local chefs to deliver the ingredients and recipes for different meals. The company works with local suppliers (farmers, meat and cheese producers, etc.) to source the ingredients and local chefs to develop the recipes. The recipes are then tested by home cooks for ease of preparation, taste, portion size, and then the menu item is offered to the subscribers.

If a person wants to try Indian or Thai cuisine but doesn't have the spices or other ingredients on hand, having those included in the order means the person doesn't have to buy more than is needed for the recipe. I can see the value for those who are trying to eat healthier and are not sure where to start. People whose lives have thrown them a curve ball and grocery shopping and meal planning are just one more thing they have to squeeze into a hectic life (family member in hospital, etc.). And those who want to get a meal on the table without the time it takes to do the shopping, chopping, and figuring out what to substitute for an ingredient because it didn't make it on the shopping list.

Sourcing local ingredients can be very time consuming. Having someone else do all the legwork can make sense. Meal planning and shopping for some is just another chore and one that is not enjoyable.

I am biased--I am test driving some of the local company's recipes and providing editing services for the recipes once I've test driven them. It gives me a chance to combine two things I enjoy--playing with words and playing with food and earn some extra $ at the same time.
Like
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
I don't see this a great time saver as you still have to cook and you still have to shop for all the other meals in your week.

Where it might be a benefit is that it gives you an opportunity to try different foods and cuisines without spending restaurant prices.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I didn't look at it as a time saver. Well, it might save time for people like me that live in the sticks and can't find half the stuff locally anyway.
I like it for the different cuisine factor and providing fresh ideas. I don't see how they can do it for ten bucks/meal though. Not if they are shipping overnight with dry ice.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Heck, every time I want tacos for dinner it's a $15 bill at the store... and I have half the stuff. I figure ten bucks a meal isn't *too* bad as long as it's somewhat above the usual fare. Not necessarily gourmet, but not exactly plain either. That's figuring in driving to pick up the stuff.
I think 2-3 meals a week would suit me. It sure would help when the cooking rut sets in.
That is the premise for pricing--to get the same or better quality meal at home for the price one would pay at a restaurant. And, without the hassle or gas expense (which seems to go up more often than it goes down).

There are two other companies that I know of in the US:

Plated.com
HelloFresh.com
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
I didn't check if they are in my area, but this might be a good work around if you don't want to go out in the snow and cold in the depths of winter.
__________________

__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
meals

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.