"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

I love cooking with cast iron 'anything'. When you get the hang of how to take care of it (isn't difficult at all) you'll love it.

I recently bought a Lodge cast iron griddle, grill marks on one side, smooth on the other. Haven't used it yet but I seasoned it and just waiting to grill sandwiches on it. My CI skillets aren't big enough to hold two sandwiches in it and this will eliminate having to do one then the other.

The only thing I'm cautious about is cooking tomatoes in a CI dutch oven (or skillet). I've heard that's not a good thing to do----- but I have friends that do.
Maybe I'm being too cautious.

And now that a pineapple upside down cake has been mentioned----- I remember the great ones I used to make in my CI skillet and will have to do that real soon!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

With the title I was referring to both the skillet and a dutch oven.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Head Chef

Dutch Oven - great for Pot Roast, whole chicken, pork roast, beef stew,
try Ole blue pork loin - delious!!!

Melt In Your Mouth Pork Loin
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I use my dutch oven for anything requiring a slow cook such as lamb shanks, brisket, and ragu, as well as for every day cooking like bolognese, soups and sauces,

I couldn't live without it!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Oh yes! I own a 9"x12" Dutch oven and use it extensively. That thing is so perfectly seasoned nothing sticks in it. I use it for soups, stews, and it works as a fantastic Asian stir-fry pot. I'll have to put it in my will because my children both want it! One of these days I'll get ambitious and oven-bake some home-made bread or a whole chicken in it.

I also have a 12" cast iron skillet which I've cooked EVERYTHING in.

One essential safety item you need, especially if you're cooking with cast iron on a gas stove, is a set of quality HEAVY DUTY HOT PADS! I've burned the !!%*^#@!! out of my fingers more than once.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
...One essential safety item you need, especially if you're cooking with cast iron on a gas stove, is a set of quality HEAVY DUTY HOT PADS! I've burned the !!%*^#@!! out of my fingers more than once.

I recommend silicone hot pads. They work great for CI handles. Also, look into getting a sleeve to fit onto the handle of the skillet.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I recommend silicone hot pads. They work great for CI handles. Also, look into getting a sleeve to fit onto the handle of the skillet.

I second that! I moved a skillet from my oven to my stovetop once and I *knew* it was hot, but as I was doing four things at once I spaced out and grabbed the handle to move it out of my way and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my fingers and palm.... an experience I will not repeat. As soon as a hot skillet comes out of my oven a silicone sleeve goes onto the handle! Please learn from my mistake!

Tags
cast iron, cook, cooking, dutch oven, oven