"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cast Iron/Dutch Oven Cooking

Do any of you use cast iron to cook? We recently bought a Lodge Cast Iron and looking for some awesome things to cook in it. Any suggestions? What have you had good luck cooking in it? Thanks in Advance

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 03-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I use a CI, 12" fry pan on my jet cooker to blacken. I get it screaming white-hot. I also use a CI griddle and dutch oven occasionally.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Keep this link Black Iron Blog: Easy Cast Iron Skillet Reconditioning. It will come in handy with your CI.

I like to use my to pan fry things that I want to get a crunch on. Okra, squash, blackening fish or chicken. I like to use it on my side burner on my grill to keep from smoking or stinking up the house.

I also like the easy of browning something and then sticking in a whatever temperature oven.

Plus it was my grandmothers, makes it very special.

Very versatile.

Hal
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
Do any of you use cast iron to cook? We recently bought a Lodge Cast Iron and looking for some awesome things to cook in it. Any suggestions? What have you had good luck cooking in it? Thanks in Advance

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
A Lodge cast-iron what? Skillet? Dutch oven?

You can cook anything in it. Fried chicken, steak, pork chops, cornbread, pineapple upside down cake, spaghetti sauce, etc., in addition to the items mentioned above. It's great for searing but does other things well, too.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Pot Roast

What I've made recent. Stew, corn bread, soup, chicken, pork chops, sloppy joes, whatever burger + to initially make for a casserole.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A Lodge cast-iron what? Skillet? Dutch oven?

You can cook anything in it. Fried chicken, steak, pork chops, cornbread, pineapple upside down cake, spaghetti sauce, etc., in addition to the items mentioned above. It's great for searing but does other things well, too.
It's a 12' cast iron skillet.

I've asked a lot of people their favorite things to cook in their cast iron cookware and just about everyone I know has mentioned the pineapple upside down cake. That was one of my favorites that my great aunt us to make for me. :)
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mmmm. Pineapple upside down cake. Mmmm.

I've made some great seared tuna steaks, ribeyes, and scallops in mine. And as has been mentioned, you can cook anything in CI.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Ah, a skillet. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Yes. Pineapple upside down cake.

Corn bread corn bread and more corn bread.

Bacon. Put the corn bread batter on top of the bacon drippings. (well, I filter/ pour off the drippings first, wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and save up bacon drippings if not making corn bread immediately.

Fried chicken. A few pieces at a time. Pan fried or breaded and oven fried pork chops. The only time I heat my CI skillet really hot is if frying up a steak.

I made Home Fries for dinner tonight in my CI Skillet. Perfect.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
It's a 12' cast iron skillet.

I've asked a lot of people their favorite things to cook in their cast iron cookware and just about everyone I know has mentioned the pineapple upside down cake. That was one of my favorites that my great aunt us to make for me. :)
A cast iron skillet is totally different than a Dutch oven (title of your post)

Yes, pineapple upside down cake rocks in a ci skillet

As does cornbread

Use it to roast a whole chicken

And then use it to make basically anything a stainless or other skillet would be used for.

Unless yours has a lid it can't be used for braising. That requires a tight fitting lid. Dutch ovens are for braising.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I use my 12" CI skillet to make a one pan breakfast. It's big enough to cook a split english muffin, 3 links of breakfast sausage and a biscuit cutter to cook an egg in. You start the egg inside the biscuit cutter after buttering the ring and skillet. While that's cooking add three sausage links and the english that you've cut in half with a knife. place some cheese on top of the egg. When all parts are done, you can assemble your sausage McMuffin on a plate.

This multi-tasking also works for hash brown patties, sausages and two eggs. One dirty pan you can wipe out with a paper towel and a hearty breakfast.

I've also used it for an upside down cake and for cornbreads although I prefer the 10" for cornbread.

Also, casseroles you can start in the stove top and finish in the oven. Fried chicken, french fries, hash browns, home fries, steaks, burgers.

As jen said, anything that cooks in a SS, non-stick or aluminum skillet, fry pan or sauté pan can be cooked in a CI skillet.

Tags
cast iron, cook, cooking, dutch oven, oven