"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I cook everyday, three times a day, everyday!
Full time jobs make that kind of cooking impossible.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #12
Master Chef

True PF, and it sounds like Kathleen is working 1 1/2 "jobs" per day right now. ~ Heck, we don't even eat three meals a day!

Kathleen, on the nights you do have time to prepare one meal, just make sure you make (at least) double. If it's something like mac & cheese, I'll split the prepped food between two or three casseroles, then I decide if I want to bake all 3 (goes quicker for a fast meal later) or just that night's dish while freezing the unbaked two. Freeze the Bonus Babies for another meal.

Going with Aunt Bea's idea of cooking more protein to make different meals later, I'll roast an entire boneless pork loin when they're on sale (sometimes as low as $1.99 a pound), have roasted pork for dinner plus save a chunk for another meat-and-gravy night. The rest is thin-sliced and heated in BBQ sauce for sandwiches, or cut into strips for something like pork lo mein or to add to an Asian-inspired soup, or to use on something like a Cuban sandwich.

Good luck, relax. And, on the really tough nights...cereal.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would cook up a couple pounds of hamburger with onions, garlic and salt. Divide into 4 meal portions. With this you can go Italian, Mexican, Asian, etc. selecting an appropriate starch and veg for each meal.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Okay, so we have had fish sandwiches and tater tots twice this week. I love fish sandwiches. I do! However, I am thinking that I need healthier meals than what is landing on the table some days.

I've seen places like "Let's Dish" that allows you to make meals that can freeze/keep until you cook them. I've also seen some websites that say they have freeze-ahead meals. (I even saw one website that says you can make a week's worth of meals in an hour - but the recipe sample looked really lacking.)

I have a wonderful cookbook that allows me to put a meal on the table in 15 minutes and they are good. Truthfully, my rump is dragging today after yet another 12 hour workday that the mere thought of washing a dish makes me want to cry.

I want some ideas that are healthy and delicious, and can be ready to be tossed in an oven or microwave...or even on a stove without too much effort on my part when I have weeks such as this one. Things that could be made up on a weekend and enjoyed through the week (or month) to come.

My question is does anyone cook for a day on the weekend or freeze meals for later dates? If so, what are your ideas? Cooking challenge, anyone? How about the "How to cook for an hour and eat all week when you realize that you have the career you always wanted and now just want a healthy, yummy meal and a paycheck...and mebbe a blanket" challenge?

Thanks for any ideas!
~Kathleen
I live alone and making one portion of stew or mac'n cheese or a chicken pot pie is a no-no every day is a waste of time and fuel, so I make a beef casserole or lasagne to divide into portions or several chicken and mushroom pies (just as examples) and freeze what I don't want on the day of making. Sometimes I spend a day batch cooking or I just make a casserole when I fancy it on the day.

The thing about this sort of cooking and freezing is to remember that the freezer isn't a morgue. The dishes aren't corpses to be stored until our grandchildren get too old to cook their own meals!

Some of the things I cook and freeze are soup, lasagne and other baked pasta dishes, casseroles (the long cook meat and veg ones not the tuna casserole type), pot pies, cottage and shepherd's pies, etc., but there are lots of other "ethnic" recipes. I tend not to freeze very highly spiced dishes such as curry or chilli for longer than a few days as the flavours seem to go a bit dull. If I make anything with a cooked filling and a pastry topping I put the cooled, cooked filling in the pot, cover it with the raw pastry and freeze, cooking it off when ready to eat it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cook once per Week? Month?

Some great ideas here! When you work full-time plus, it's impossible to cook 3 scratch meals a day. Even though it's just the two of us, I tend to go big, and freeze portions. Chili, soups (split pea, chicken, tomato, mushroom, wild rice). This is a good one and makes a lot and freezes very well: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Oliv...at-Recipe.html). I make taco meat and pizza sauce in big batches and freeze, and keep corn and flour tortillas on hand, along with various cheeses, and frozen bags of presliced pepperoni. There's also meaty ham bones, rotisserie chicken carcasses and smoked turkey parts in the freezer to use in soups and stocks. A real timesaver for soup is to finely chop and freeze big ziplocks of a mix of carrots, celery, and onions.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I cook everyday, three times a day, everyday!
I cook one meal a day. Dinner.
I eat left overs for lunch and eat no breakfast. My wife and MIL are on their own until dinner.
They eat lots of cereal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Full time jobs make that kind of cooking impossible.
I agree and really cannot see cooking so many meals.
But if she has the time and the energy, I say go for it. I guess she's doing the dishes too? I sure hope not.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
Wine Guy

There are many times I come home from work exhausted and just don't feel like putting a lot of time or thought into dinner.

For the last several years, I've always made up a batch of beans on Sunday mornings. I then eat those for lunches and sometimes for dinner as well. I try to mix it up a bit, alternating between black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, red beans, etc. I also do different seasonings, including Mexican, Cajun, and Caribbean (one of my favorites!).

Beans are good for you and can be served in many different ways: over rice, in tortillas, over eggs - the possibilities are endless.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

The beans are a great idea!

A bowl of beans and greens on a cold dreary night is a fast, healthy, comfort food that can be on the table in 10-15 minutes!

Olive oil
Minced garlic
Hot pepper flakes
Escarole
Chicken broth
A can of cannellini beans
and a handful of grated cheese.

Heat oil in a large deep pan, saute garlic and pepper flakes, add greens and toss to coat with oil, add chicken broth simmer for 5 minutes, add the drained beans and simmer 5-10 minutes more, drizzle in a little olive oil and serve with grated cheese.

You can make it dry or soupy. If you don't have chicken broth add the bean liquid and a little water.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Cupcake

Thank you all for the awesome ideas and support. I think making several dishes on the weekend is a great plan for busy weeks/months like this one/October. Plus it is feasible.

My job has three "crunch months" and this is one of them. Then I will have a crunch week about every four weeks or so. During crunch weeks, 14 to 16 hour days are the norm. During non-crunch weeks 10 - 12 hour days are the norm. Honestly, I love the job, so don't mind the hours most of the time until it feels that I don't have time for the basics...like food and sleep. This week, it is a combination of the two, so I am a bit frustrated.

Last year, we got a freezer to help, and it is nicely filled with raw ingredients for food. Now, the raw ingredients simply need to be assembled and cooked. The catch is that I never learned to make meals that freeze. Like I know what raw meats, etc. will freeze well, but I really am not sure which cooked foods are easily frozen. I've learned through trial and error that potatoes often turn out mealy when frozen...or at least when I have frozen them. On the other hand, I've had decent luck with pasta. I've frozen some kinds of soup with mixed results.

I love beans! Beans and greens sound great! Beans and anything sounds great! (Not everyone in this house would agree, but hey! Soup and sandwiches work too.)

October is thankfully nearly done. Come April and May, everyone should buy stock in paper plates and bowls because that will be the next crunch months.

Freezing advice or favorite freezer recipes are most welcome. Laundry service would be welcome too.....but really, I have deep closets and a huge hamper so food is the priority!

~Kathleen
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Don't freeze cooked potatoes. Most other things can be frozen. Parboil veggies before freezing or cooked into a dish is fine. I like to add extra sauce to pasta and make sure it is al dente, that way when you heat it from the freezer, it won't dry out and the pasta won't turn to mush. Plastic wrap and foil are your friends for casseroles.

Create "TV Dinners" with odd leftovers. Freezing your meals is also a perfect chance to portion your meals.

Tags
cook