"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

When I go to my parents' house, I do a lot of cooking for the freezer.

I will make a HUGE roaster of turkey or chicken stock. Then, once the stock is done, I will make that into several variations of turkey or chicken soup so all my dad has to do is take it out the night before, let it thaw in the fridge, and heat it in the microwave.

I will make basic biscuit dough and then add cheese/garlic/herbs to the dough, cut out the biscuits, freeze them, so all he has to do is bake them.

I make beef stroganoff for the freezer, chili, spaghetti sauce, meatballs, meatloaf, pies, pot pies, cabbage rolls, lasagna (that is for if they want to invite s/one out for supper), pizza, wildrice casserole. For the most part, all my dad has to do is follow the spreadsheet, thaw the main dish the night before, and make sure he has picked up the fresh ingredients needed.

When I am at home, I often do "mega cooking" on the weekend and freeze meals (1 or 2 portion size) to eat during the week or to take on site with me. Because of my food sensitivities, I have a hard time eating "ready made" meals from the grocery store.

I have also had single friends come over for mega-cooking day on a Saturday or a Sunday. We portion out what we've cooked and send portions home so everyone has something to eat during the week. And, share the cost for the ingredients. Perogies, cabbage rolls, and lasagne are some of the favs to do at my house and send portions home for everyone. And, no one can leave until the dishes are done.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
Cupcake

These are great ideas! I've made pierogies and frozen them prior to cooking. I think I'm going to come up with five meals to "make ahead" this weekend. I'll get back to everyone about what I make! Ziplocks, lots of plastic and foil, masking tape, markers.....I'm making a list!

~Kathleen

Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #33
Cupcake

Update and a bit of progress!

I went to CostCo today to pick up ziplocks, foil, etc. today. I also kept in mind that pasta can freeze pretty well over potatoes, etc. as I searched for freezer-happy recipes via Pinterest and search engines. On Pinterest, I stumbled on "Wonderpots." I've seen one-pot ideas before, but these recipes usually had pasta included and the pasta cooked along with everything else. Several ideas looked like they would cook up fast and sounded pretty tasty.

I selected this link and immediately spotted a recipe called "Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot." While at Costco, I picked up fresh mushrooms and a big jar of artichokes hearts. Instead of spinach, I got some mixed "power" greens.

I made other substitutes like using chicken broth, penne, and ground thyme. It was delicious and my "where's the meat/I don't like green veggies" dining companion even found it tasty. Plus I had enough left over to make three bagged up for later meals! Last of all, ONE pot to clean up.

I love that the pasta cooked with everything else, did not stick and did not get mushy. (The mushrooms held the pasta under the liquid!) A few pictures to share because I am happy-bouncy to find something so fast and easy. When I make it again, I'll add a good splash of white wine because it did seem that it was missing just a hint of something. Last of all, it was cheap to make!

I'm going to try the One-Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies next. I had to share!

~Kathleen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00934.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	22098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00933.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	22099  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00928.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	22100  
Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It was good. When we reheat it I think I might have to pull some Italian sausage from the freezer.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cook once per Week? Month?

Yay!! Keep building your stash! Freeze, freeze, freeze!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds great Kathleen!

Looks better!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Once again DC has come to the rescue. You have admit. we all are a bunch of great folks. The kind everyone wants to know and be friends with.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Kathleen, that looks like a great recipe. Adding some sausage can only make it better!

I think you could also come up with one pot dishes using rice instead of pasta, giving you another series of meals. Look for rice casseroles.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks like a great list of recipes. Glad your first try turned out so well. I'm bookmarking it, too.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I went to CostCo today to pick up ziplocks, foil, etc. today. I also kept in mind that pasta can freeze pretty well over potatoes, etc. as I searched for freezer-happy recipes via Pinterest and search engines. On Pinterest, I stumbled on "Wonderpots." I've seen one-pot ideas before, but these recipes usually had pasta included and the pasta cooked along with everything else. Several ideas looked like they would cook up fast and sounded pretty tasty.

I selected this link and immediately spotted a recipe called "Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot." While at Costco, I picked up fresh mushrooms and a big jar of artichokes hearts. Instead of spinach, I got some mixed "power" greens.

I made other substitutes like using chicken broth, penne, and ground thyme. It was delicious and my "where's the meat/I don't like green veggies" dining companion even found it tasty. Plus I had enough left over to make three bagged up for later meals! Last of all, ONE pot to clean up.

I love that the pasta cooked with everything else, did not stick and did not get mushy. (The mushrooms held the pasta under the liquid!) A few pictures to share because I am happy-bouncy to find something so fast and easy. When I make it again, I'll add a good splash of white wine because it did seem that it was missing just a hint of something. Last of all, it was cheap to make!

I'm going to try the One-Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies next. I had to share!

~Kathleen

I've been one pot wonder recipe gawking for about 2 hours now...have several I've noted, c&p, wanna try.

The Puttanesca one is very tasty sounding and I have all the ingredients.

Tags
cook