"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Dueling desserts

Christmas Day dinner is a tradition among a revolving group of 8 friends. One person always brings a wonderful fight pudding; it's her tradition. As one of the hosts, and a baker I'd like to offer a second dessert (after all, the meal is about bounty and choices....)
Is it simply inappropriate on my part to do so?
But if not, what would an appropriate dessert pair be?

With many thanks for your thoughts in advance,
M.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure what a 'fight pudding' is. I'd make something that's a different type of dessert.

As to whether or not it's appropriate, that has to do with the dynamics of your group.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Typo:
Not "fight pudding"
Should be FIGGY pudding
Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
Master Chef

Welcome, MarkJ!

That was a funny typo...glad it's not 'fight' pudding.

I think I'd just ask the friends involved...maybe they would welcome a second dessert, as long as it's clear you don't intend to replace the figgy pudding. It's hard to know what another dessert suggestion would be without knowing the menu. I would still plan on bringing your usual offering to the Christmas dinner as well, so as not to suggest changing too many things at once.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Mark. Welcome to Discuss Cooking

IMO, more than one dessert offering for a group of eight people at a holiday dinner would be nice. I'm not really a fan of "steamed cake full of raisins, currants and brandy," (see below) so a cheesecake or something with chocolate would be lovely. I wouldn't be surprised if some of your other guests feel the same way.

Your question does betray a bit of exasperation, though Try not to let that show to your friends.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...-figgy-pudding
Old 12-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
Master Chef

I would go with homemade chocolate truffles or a box of premium chocolates for those folks that just want a taste of something sweet after what can be a rather heavy meal.

Maybe after dinner would be a good time to talk about shaking things up for Christmas 2016 and rotating assignments within the group.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Master Chef

I'm thinking that something light, like a good trifle would be a great accompaniment for the light pudding. Another option is chocolate-covered fruit, like fresh strawberries, or banana chunks, or blueberries. A desert beverage might be in order as well.

If you know the flavor of the pudding, you could make edible cookie, or graham cracker bowls to serve the pudding in. You could also make crispy, sweet waffles too. You might want to collaborate with the person making the pudding.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief - this is a pudding in the British sense, not a creamy American-style pudding. I wouldn't call a steamed cake light
Old 12-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chief - this is a pudding in the British sense, not a creamy American-style pudding. I wouldn't call a steamed cake light
Ah, I didn't see the op's second post identifying the pudding as a figgy pudding. I know what a steamed pudding is. I just thought the typo was that an "F" was typed instead of an "L", making it a light pudding.

To go with a Figgy pudding, I might suggest something like stabilized chantilly cream filled profiteroles, or maybe lemon curd filled mini tarts, with a meringue on top.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJKubicki View Post
...One person always brings a wonderful fight pudding; it's her tradition...

If this person expects her foggy pudding to be the centerpiece dessert, all alone in the spotlight, she could be offended if you also bring a dessert. Just a thought.

Tags
dessert, desserts