Favorite Evening Snack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't posted here because I've never been one to snack in the evening and I'm fascinated at what all of you enjoy.

I grew up eating three meals a day with a snack after school in the afternoon. Nothing else, so I'm not used to an after dinner snack.

Do you snack because you're hungry?

I don't snack because I am hungry, I snack because I am not full :pig:

I haven't posted here because I've never been one to snack in the evening and I'm fascinated at what all of you enjoy.

I grew up eating three meals a day with a snack after school in the afternoon. Nothing else, so I'm not used to an after dinner snack.

Do you snack because you're hungry?

Watch out Gillian McKeith here comes Katie :LOL: Do you honestly never ever eat a little something at night just because it's nice? Not even when it's offered to you and it's something you really like?

Watch out Gillian McKeith here comes Katie :LOL: Do you honestly never ever eat a little something at night just because it's nice? Not even when it's offered to you and it's something you really like?

No, I really don't snack. By the time I've had my evening meal, usually around 6-6:30 p.m., I'm quite full and never think of food until breakfast. Occasionally I might finish a glass of iced tea that I had left from supper, but nothing more. I just never got into the habit (?) of snacking, so it seems foreign to me.

As for the "being offered" part, it's just Glenn and me and he doesn't snack either so, unless we're staying with someone for a visit, there's really no opportunity for such an offer. And, come to think of it, the last few times we stayed with friends/family, there was no munching after dinnertime either. Interesting.

No, I really don't snack. By the time I've had my evening meal, usually around 6-6:30 p.m., I'm quite full and never think of food until breakfast. Occasionally I might finish a glass of iced tea that I had left from supper, but nothing more. I just never got into the habit (?) of snacking, so it seems foreign to me.

As for the "being offered" part, it's just Glenn and me and he doesn't snack either so, unless we're staying with someone for a visit, there's really no opportunity for such an offer. And, come to think of it, the last few times we stayed with friends/family, there was no munching after dinnertime either. Interesting.

Your a stronger person than I am :LOL:

Your a stronger person than I am :LOL:

i think what we're dealing with here, snip, is not will power or strength of character, but rather, lifelong eating habits, and just plain what you grew up doing - lifestyles. katie has described in very clear straightforward terms, exactly how it is that evening snacking is foreign to her experience. thus, she is not, as you may be imagining, snip, depriving herself at all. she is following what is to her a natural, normal and familiar routine of eating. it doesn't include snacks. period. katie finds it strange and, to her, somewhat unnatural, that people are going on obsessively, in this thread, about what we are planning to eat this evening. she needs to ask us in her post, why do you snack, is it that you are hungry? snacking simply makes no sense to katie in her life's experience. she is trying to understand those of us who engage in such seemingly absurd behavior as nighttime snacking. can anyone provide katie with a rational answer? why IS snacking such an irresistibly enjoyable pursuit for many of us? and maybe too, what is the payoff?

i think what we're dealing with here, snip, is not will power or strength of character, but rather, lifelong eating habits, and just plain what you grew up doing - lifestyles. katie has described in very clear straightforward terms, exactly how it is that evening snacking is foreign to her experience. thus, she is not, as you may be imagining, snip, depriving herself at all. she is following what is to her a natural, normal and familiar routine of eating. it doesn't include snacks. period. katie finds it strange and, to her, somewhat unnatural, that people are going on obsessively, in this thread, about what we are planning to eat this evening. she needs to ask us in her post, why do you snack, is it that you are hungry? snacking simply makes no sense to katie in her life's experience. she is trying to understand those of us who engage in such seemingly absurd behavior as nighttime snacking. can anyone provide katie with a rational answer? why IS snacking such an irresistibly enjoyable pursuit for many of us? and maybe too, what is the payoff?

I grew up in a household of snack crazy eataholics lol! I understand what Katie meant, just asked to see if she wasn't just "pulling our leg"
Not many people that don't snack. I think it's an emotional thing, maybe just a comfort. Some people eat when they are happy, some when they are sad etc. Or maybe we don't all know why we do it.
Either way unless my metabolism slows down and my behind balloons I'll keep snacking :)
P.S Katie you should be happy that you grew up the way you did, I'm sure a lot of us wish we could be more like you :)

this is an interesting topic to explore, i think. i grew up in a home where drinking soda pop, while allowed, had, i learned later, some highly unusual restrictions attached. you never, ever, would think of popping open a can of soda in the morning. and i still don't know why, it was never explained--it just was. soda was never drunk straight from the bottle or can. now maybe this one had to do with the practical concern of keeping track of bottles that were later returned for deposit pennies....also, once opened, a bottle of soda had to be consumed in one session. you simply did not leave a partially full bottle of soda--not recapped, stoppered - nothing. you did not open a soda can without making the firm commitment of finishing it then and there. taking a bottle of coke out of the fridge at my house was not an act for the faint of heart. house rules, i guess everybody had some of their own personal versions of house rules--if not as weird or peculiar as the one i've described here. and to some extent, our later lives are to some extent affected and formulated by those early family imprints....

this is an interesting topic to explore, i think. i grew up in a home where drinking soda pop, while allowed, had, i learned later, some highly unusual restrictions attached. you never, ever, would think of popping open a can of soda in the morning. and i still don't know why, it was never explained--it just was. soda was never drunk straight from the bottle or can. now maybe this one had to do with the practical concern of keeping track of bottles that were later returned for deposit pennies....also, once opened, a bottle of soda had to be consumed in one session. you simply did not leave a partially full bottle of soda--not recapped, stoppered - nothing. you did not open a soda can without making the firm commitment of finishing it then and there. taking a bottle of coke out of the fridge at my house was not an act for the faint of heart. house rules, i guess everybody had some of their own personal versions of house rules--if not as weird or peculiar as the one i've described here. and to some extent, our later lives are to some extent affected and formulated by those early family imprints....

All fizzy drinks were a no no in my house growing up and I have the same rule with my children. Candy is only an occasional treat. Bedtime is at 8pm and no sweets are allowed before dinner.
No sleepovers during the week or exams etc. Yes I guess we do!

one thing that's so special about the subject of this thread, evening snacking, is that what we are talking about here is a consciously PLANNED event. it is an intentional act. willful. this is nothing like an impulsive, thoughtless, or weakened response to a food temptation. no, because when we eat from a place of weakness or emotion, we feel bad afterwards. the planned snack, on the other hand, is treated more like a reward - something we deserve. the reason we are so deserving may be nothing more than having made it through another day. or we are giving ourselves permission to enjoy an anticipated pleasure. and then proceed to enjoy the experience of the anticipation itself--no guilt....:)

Last edited:

I grew up eating a snack before bed. We did not eat dessert as a lot of people do right after their meal. At home growing up it was a dessert, but I have evolved it into something savory also, depending on my mood.:chef:

Another one of my favourite snacks is Cultured Buttermilk layered with Muscavado sugar. Then placed in the fridge until the sugar has melted into a liquid form. Heaven! I'm having some now :)

hey snip, how about you starting a thread about muscavado sugar? i have never had it, and would like hear from folks who have....:)

Exactly. I find the concept of nighttime snacking quite unusual. It has never occurred to me to eat past the last meal of the day. I was not brought up that way and I find it fascinating how others enjoy "treats" beyond the evening meal.

I LOVE food, the preparing of it, the presentation and the enjoyment of eating it. I view the whole event as the mealtime experience and haven't spent any time beyond those parameters. I haven't felt deprived at all and I think it's great that others have fun with the snacking experience.

Having said that, I also don't have any experience with various snack foods such as chips, dips, nuts, pop/sodas and such. Again, I wasn't brought up eating them. But, then, they weren't available when I was growing up, so that could be part of my base of experience.

Exactly. I find the concept of nighttime snacking quite unusual. It has never occurred to me to eat past the last meal of the day. I was not brought up that way and I find it fascinating how others enjoy "treats" beyond the evening meal.

I LOVE food, the preparing of it, the presentation and the enjoyment of eating it. I view the whole event as the mealtime experience and haven't spent any time beyond those parameters. I haven't felt deprived at all and I think it's great that others have fun with the snacking experience.

Having said that, I also don't have any experience with various snack foods such as chips, dips, nuts, pop/sodas and such. Again, I wasn't brought up eating them. But, then, they weren't available when I was growing up, so that could be part of my base of experience.
Same here Katie.
My folks were careful with money and sometimes on Saturday nights mom would send my sister and I over to the pharmacy telling us to buy everyone a candy bar. That would be one for each of us. My sister and I had our favorites which we would bring home and stick in the freezer. Most of the time tho we each get at treat made by mom. be it pie,or cake. My mom knew her way around the oven and she could put out a cake or a pie. No boxed mixes for her. This was maybe once a month. Desserts, snacks just wasn't in our life except once in a while, like a birthday or a great report card.
kades

Same here Katie.
My folks were careful with money and sometimes on Saturday nights mom would send my sister and I over to the pharmacy telling us to buy everyone a candy bar. That would be one for each of us. My sister and I had our favorites which we would bring home and stick in the freezer. Most of the time tho we each get at treat made by mom. be it pie,or cake. My mom knew her way around the oven and she could put out a cake or a pie. No boxed mixes for her. This was maybe once a month. Desserts, snacks just wasn't in our life except once in a while, like a birthday or a great report card.
kades

Thank you, kades. Perhaps the snacking "thing" is generational.

I'm not trying to put a wet blanket on everyone's evening treats, but I've never been part of the trend.

Same here Katie.
kades

Thank you, kades. Perhaps the snacking "thing" is generational.

I'm not trying to put a wet blanket on everyone's evening treats, but I've never been part of the trend.

But you both post that you eat DESSERT every night. Same thing, just not part of the dinner meal.:rolleyes:

I work thirds so my late night snack is usually what I'm eating after my first meal of the day (at night but the first meal so I'm never sure whether I'm eating dinner or breakfast) and before my lunch break. It varies depending on what I have to bring with me. I eat when I get home and I'm usually up for a little while afterward but I don't usually snack after I've eaten dinner? breakfast? the meal that I eat in the morning at the end of my day.

When I was working the 12-hour nights, I had breakfast when I got up at 4 PM. Lunch between 11PM and 2 AM depending on what was going on, then substantial snacks around 4 AM...then no more coffee or food until breakfast rolled around again. Sometimes when I got home around 7 AM I would have a light snack. Now, I've given up everything for breakfast but the coffee, OJ and a banana. And I usually have something in the early evening around 5-6PM...I get off work at 9PM.

But you both post that you eat DESSERT every night. Same thing, just not part of the dinner meal.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Dessert wasn't an automatic next course after supper when I was growing up. A bowl of cereal before bedtime was much more common. Not for the whole family, but for me anyway.
I certainly wouldn't say that someone not eating a snack a few hours after dinner is putting a wet blanket on anything. Not anymore than those of us who eat their big meal at night are putting a wet blanket on those who eat their big meal midday. Heaven forbid we should all do things exactly the same way :LOL:

... I certainly wouldn't say that someone not eating a snack a few hours after dinner is putting a wet blanket on anything. Not anymore than those of us who eat their big meal at night are putting a wet blanket on those who eat their big meal midday. Heaven forbid we should all do things exactly the same way :LOL:

Agreed! For instance, my big meal of the day is around noon, with a light supper about 5:00 p.m. And when I get together with friends or family for a large Sunday or holiday meal, it's nearly always at 2:00 p.m. I find that eating heavy foods early helps with my digestion. So some cheese, fruit or a bowl of cereal takes the edge off at bedtime (about 5 hours after supper) and I sleep better.

But I also know that some places in Europe, Spain for example, evening meals generally aren't served until after 8:00 p.m., or even as late 10:00, therefore they probably don't think about a bedtime snack.

nope, sorry - nice try though, patti.:)it's not desserts that are at issue in this discussion, but differences over unscheduled eating, and eating between regular meals. both katie and kades confine their eating to mealtimes. some of the rest of us, do not. neither or them is condemning the practice of snacking itself, simply are choosing to continue in the way they were taught as children - in a snackless environment. there is no right or wrong in this debate, and no superiority, either. our life experiences are different from one another's, as are our preferences. in our snacking vs. non-snacking world, "live and let live" as a philosophy, seems to be the perfect fit and natural solution, imo....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom