"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I haven't posted here because I've never been one to snack in the evening and I'm fascinated at what all of you enjoy.

I grew up eating three meals a day with a snack after school in the afternoon. Nothing else, so I'm not used to an after dinner snack.

Do you snack because you're hungry?

I don't snack because I am hungry, I snack because I am not full

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
I haven't posted here because I've never been one to snack in the evening and I'm fascinated at what all of you enjoy.

I grew up eating three meals a day with a snack after school in the afternoon. Nothing else, so I'm not used to an after dinner snack.

Do you snack because you're hungry?
Watch out Gillian McKeith here comes Katie Do you honestly never ever eat a little something at night just because it's nice? Not even when it's offered to you and it's something you really like?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Watch out Gillian McKeith here comes Katie Do you honestly never ever eat a little something at night just because it's nice? Not even when it's offered to you and it's something you really like?
No, I really don't snack. By the time I've had my evening meal, usually around 6-6:30 p.m., I'm quite full and never think of food until breakfast. Occasionally I might finish a glass of iced tea that I had left from supper, but nothing more. I just never got into the habit (?) of snacking, so it seems foreign to me.

As for the "being offered" part, it's just Glenn and me and he doesn't snack either so, unless we're staying with someone for a visit, there's really no opportunity for such an offer. And, come to think of it, the last few times we stayed with friends/family, there was no munching after dinnertime either. Interesting.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
No, I really don't snack. By the time I've had my evening meal, usually around 6-6:30 p.m., I'm quite full and never think of food until breakfast. Occasionally I might finish a glass of iced tea that I had left from supper, but nothing more. I just never got into the habit (?) of snacking, so it seems foreign to me.

As for the "being offered" part, it's just Glenn and me and he doesn't snack either so, unless we're staying with someone for a visit, there's really no opportunity for such an offer. And, come to think of it, the last few times we stayed with friends/family, there was no munching after dinnertime either. Interesting.
Your a stronger person than I am

Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
No, not really. It's just what I've been used to in my 60+ years. Would be a bit challenging to leave the path now.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
i think what we're dealing with here, snip, is not will power or strength of character, but rather, lifelong eating habits, and just plain what you grew up doing - lifestyles. katie has described in very clear straightforward terms, exactly how it is that evening snacking is foreign to her experience. thus, she is not, as you may be imagining, snip, depriving herself at all. she is following what is to her a natural, normal and familiar routine of eating. it doesn't include snacks. period. katie finds it strange and, to her, somewhat unnatural, that people are going on obsessively, in this thread, about what we are planning to eat this evening. she needs to ask us in her post, why do you snack, is it that you are hungry? snacking simply makes no sense to katie in her life's experience. she is trying to understand those of us who engage in such seemingly absurd behavior as nighttime snacking. can anyone provide katie with a rational answer? why IS snacking such an irresistibly enjoyable pursuit for many of us? and maybe too, what is the payoff?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i think what we're dealing with here, snip, is not will power or strength of character, but rather, lifelong eating habits, and just plain what you grew up doing - lifestyles. katie has described in very clear straightforward terms, exactly how it is that evening snacking is foreign to her experience. thus, she is not, as you may be imagining, snip, depriving herself at all. she is following what is to her a natural, normal and familiar routine of eating. it doesn't include snacks. period. katie finds it strange and, to her, somewhat unnatural, that people are going on obsessively, in this thread, about what we are planning to eat this evening. she needs to ask us in her post, why do you snack, is it that you are hungry? snacking simply makes no sense to katie in her life's experience. she is trying to understand those of us who engage in such seemingly absurd behavior as nighttime snacking. can anyone provide katie with a rational answer? why IS snacking such an irresistibly enjoyable pursuit for many of us? and maybe too, what is the payoff?
I grew up in a household of snack crazy eataholics lol! I understand what Katie meant, just asked to see if she wasn't just "pulling our leg"
Not many people that don't snack. I think it's an emotional thing, maybe just a comfort. Some people eat when they are happy, some when they are sad etc. Or maybe we don't all know why we do it.
Either way unless my metabolism slows down and my behind balloons I'll keep snacking :)
P.S Katie you should be happy that you grew up the way you did, I'm sure a lot of us wish we could be more like you :)

Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #48
Executive Chef

this is an interesting topic to explore, i think. i grew up in a home where drinking soda pop, while allowed, had, i learned later, some highly unusual restrictions attached. you never, ever, would think of popping open a can of soda in the morning. and i still don't know why, it was never explained--it just was. soda was never drunk straight from the bottle or can. now maybe this one had to do with the practical concern of keeping track of bottles that were later returned for deposit pennies....also, once opened, a bottle of soda had to be consumed in one session. you simply did not leave a partially full bottle of soda--not recapped, stoppered - nothing. you did not open a soda can without making the firm commitment of finishing it then and there. taking a bottle of coke out of the fridge at my house was not an act for the faint of heart. house rules, i guess everybody had some of their own personal versions of house rules--if not as weird or peculiar as the one i've described here. and to some extent, our later lives are to some extent affected and formulated by those early family imprints....
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
this is an interesting topic to explore, i think. i grew up in a home where drinking soda pop, while allowed, had, i learned later, some highly unusual restrictions attached. you never, ever, would think of popping open a can of soda in the morning. and i still don't know why, it was never explained--it just was. soda was never drunk straight from the bottle or can. now maybe this one had to do with the practical concern of keeping track of bottles that were later returned for deposit pennies....also, once opened, a bottle of soda had to be consumed in one session. you simply did not leave a partially full bottle of soda--not recapped, stoppered - nothing. you did not open a soda can without making the firm commitment of finishing it then and there. taking a bottle of coke out of the fridge at my house was not an act for the faint of heart. house rules, i guess everybody had some of their own personal versions of house rules--if not as weird or peculiar as the one i've described here. and to some extent, our later lives are to some extent affected and formulated by those early family imprints....
All fizzy drinks were a no no in my house growing up and I have the same rule with my children. Candy is only an occasional treat. Bedtime is at 8pm and no sweets are allowed before dinner.
No sleepovers during the week or exams etc. Yes I guess we do!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #50
Executive Chef

one thing that's so special about the subject of this thread, evening snacking, is that what we are talking about here is a consciously PLANNED event. it is an intentional act. willful. this is nothing like an impulsive, thoughtless, or weakened response to a food temptation. no, because when we eat from a place of weakness or emotion, we feel bad afterwards. the planned snack, on the other hand, is treated more like a reward - something we deserve. the reason we are so deserving may be nothing more than having made it through another day. or we are giving ourselves permission to enjoy an anticipated pleasure. and then proceed to enjoy the experience of the anticipation itself--no guilt....:)