"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You asked for our opinions, and we are giving them to you. You could conduct a poll in your target area to see what the connotations are, but my guess is the result would be the same. Trojan Horse is not an attractive name for a restaurant. You want to bring people in, not turn them away.

In North Jersey there is a limited chain of Greek restaurants with not particularly exciting but definitely edible food that are called "It's Greek to Me." I think it's a cute, catchy name that tells what it's about and is in no way offputting. They seem to be doing quite well.

When I read your description of the restaurant, the name I though of was "Not Your Average Greek Restaurant." Not sure it's quite as catchy, but it says what it is. I agree Olympic Restaurant sounds stodgy. byt what part of Greece is your family from? There are so many mellifluous city and town names that would lend themselves to a restaurant name. Or Aegean? Thessalonika is a nice-sounding city... just a few thoughts.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Half Baked

Troy!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Hey! Good luck with your new venture. This is a very exciting time for you. I have been down that road three times and one thing I have learned is that you should be careful on how many items you offer on your menu. You will have certain items that you will probably be known for, and some others that are not great movers. Try not to carry too much stock, because these slow movers will result in wastage, freezer burn, mold and generally unfresh product. I suggest you cut them off of your menu sooner than later. You will see what I mean. Every place has these. You would be better off with a smaller menu of stuff that moves. This will ensure that the product is always fresh and your staff gets trained to the point that they can make it with their eyes closed.
Best of luck, and have fun!!

Roch
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Wow, you said a mouthful, Lob!

Better to start with a small, well-chosen menu that ROCKS! then add and subtract based upon what's selling. You can't take it personally if an item you personally love does not catch on. You've got to dump it and keep on.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

How about Gyro's? It is short, catchy and most Americans can identify with it.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Hey! Good luck with your new venture. This is a very exciting time for you. I have been down that road three times and one thing I have learned is that you should be careful on how many items you offer on your menu. You will have certain items that you will probably be known for, and some others that are not great movers. Try not to carry too much stock, because these slow movers will result in wastage, freezer burn, mold and generally unfresh product. I suggest you cut them off of your menu sooner than later. You will see what I mean. Every place has these. You would be better off with a smaller menu of stuff that moves. This will ensure that the product is always fresh and your staff gets trained to the point that they can make it with their eyes closed.
Best of luck, and have fun!!

Roch
I agree 200%. Also I think you are mixing far to many different styles and cuisines:

"...the concept and menu of the restaurant is a combination of Greek/Mediterrenenan/American quick food and dining (ranging from Gyros, Souvlaki, Mousaka, Lamb, Different Roasts all the way to Home-burgers, Fish & Chips, Pasta's, Classic Sandwiches, Wraps, Some Fish/Seafood and a few soups and appetizers and desserts.....)"

One thing I remember hearing over and over again on those restaurant shows is do not try to be everything to everyone. If you want to go with Greek/Mediterranean go with it and leave out the American/burgers/wraps/fish-n-chips/sandwiches/ etc.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Why is it that some of you think that Trojan Horse sends out negative vibes & connotations? Does the fact that some of the most popular condoms are named "Trojan" affect the whole concept for a restaurant?

Ewww. No.

What is good about a Trojan Horse? They pretend to be one thing while hiding another. They destroy things, like cities or your computer.

"Trojan Horse" is a metaphor for concealed danger.

And I agree that your point of view for the restaurant may need some refining.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

I totally agree with all the reasons for NOT calling it Trojan Horse and have one more of my own. Trojan Horse to me denotes all those things everyone has mentioned but to me it is also dark, big and serious. Your menu (which does need a little refining but is on the right track) is more upbeat and casual to me.

I like Gyro's, but have seen several similar eateries called the same. I love "Not Your Average Greek Restaurant" for some personal reasons I can't share at the moment. Another choice might be "Greek Eats". It is catchy, and to me evokes that quick but good meal you seem to be serving.

Hope that helps!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
Head Chef

There are tons of names that I think would be catchier than Trojan Horse which to me sounds like a 18+ shop or something dark and dangerous like others are saying.

Molivos (Grill).. Santorini Grill.. just use island and city names lol

Better yet, use the city / island where your family is from in the name, and it will certainly make a conversation piece when you talk to your clients. They will LOVE that you are ACTUALLY Mediterranean.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
There are tons of names that I think would be catchier than Trojan Horse which to me sounds like a 18+ shop or something dark and dangerous like others are saying.

Molivos (Grill).. Santorini Grill.. just use island and city names lol

Better yet, use the city / island where your family is from in the name, and it will certainly make a conversation piece when you talk to your clients. They will LOVE that you are ACTUALLY Mediterranean.
Great idea!!

Tags
menu