"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Guest with Tremors

New member but long time admirer. Planning a dinner for friends (small group). One of ours has terrible shaking of his hands and refuses to come with wife. We don't care ,none of us care, we just want to have him with us. I would truly value any and all suggestions for foods to serve that wouldn't make him feel self conscious eating. Thanks.

JodyMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
Master Chef

My uncle has Parkinson's, and he is self conscious about it, to some degree. That's normal. From my limited experience, people with tremors actually do better with finger foods. Knives and forks food is more difficult to manage. Something like fried chicken can be eaten with the hands, and the tremors don't show as much, which makes them feel better.

Hopefully others will have additional ideas.

CD

Old 07-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Jody.

It's nice to see how caring you are to include someone with a health challenge. Not many folks would take the time to consider what might make a get-together enjoyable for them.

I did some surfing in the Internet and came up with a site that might give you some help with your dilemma. I learned several things from perusing the article, especially when it came to silverware, plates, dishes, etc.

Maybe this will give you some assistance.

Hope your friend comes and enjoys the event.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

Maybe a more casual setting where you all don't sit around the table. This way he won't feel that he is drawing attention..Buffet style, small plates, everybody just graze or stand, etc..have your table and chairs ready, of course, for guests that wish to sit and eat more traditionally..just a thought
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Hi and welcome to DC...

How about a crawfish or shrimp boil?
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Soft flatbreads that can be used to wrap around fillings. Filled pita pockets. Bruschetta with various toppings. French fries and corn on the cob halves to go with the fried chicken mentioned above. Burgers and/or hot dogs that are "dressed up" for adults with fries or chips. Nachos, there are other kinds of toppings than the norm that can be used if you want to fancy them up.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

JodyMM, Welcome to DC. I hope some of the suggestions given can help.

I also hope you will be able to convince your friend to come. Once there I'm sure he will have a wonderful time and be easier to have more excursions with friends that care more about his company than his visual condition. Rooting for you!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Guest with Tremors

Thank you all for your replys! Sometimes I over think things, trying to do the right thing, thanks for keeping me on track.
JodyMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Look after your special guest, take them through what's on the table, and also dish up the things that appeal to them, but don't make a performance of it. Each and every one of us has difficulties, so guide them through what's on the buffet table, and, please, dish the things they would like to try so that they feel looked after, as they really are.

Thinking of you

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyMM View Post
New member but long time admirer. Planning a dinner for friends (small group). One of ours has terrible shaking of his hands and refuses to come with wife. We don't care ,none of us care, we just want to have him with us. I would truly value any and all suggestions for foods to serve that wouldn't make him feel self conscious eating. Thanks.
A buffet meal with "Finger food"? Or if he uses special cutlery perhaps you could quietly suggest to his wife that they bring it with them.

If necessary, tell the other quests beforehand that if they dare to even blink at your friend's difficulty they will never be invited to your house again. (Hopefully they will be sufficiently courteous not to need such a threat.)