"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Home delivery meal services

Do any of you ever use any of the home delivery food services? Which one, and why did you choose that service? Was/is it useful? How is the ingredient quality, and how does the food taste?

__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,469
I think the fad is over for those services. They were a big deal at one time, and my older son and his wife had Blue Apron for a while but became tired of it for several reasons.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,080
I did " The Purple Carrot" for about 6 months. Through a charity auction, I got to visit their test kitchen, sit down with the owner, and speak with the chefs developing the recipes / meals. It is. vegan company, so with my wife turning vegan , I figured it was a good way to try recipes and ingredients that I may not select myself. The quality was very good as far as ingredients go. The meals were different each week, yet there were similarities which got to be boring after awhile.

Biggest problem I had was the delivery date. I had the 3 meal plan. It was delivered on Tuesday. Problem being I work long hours Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, not leaving me too much time to cook. By Saturday, the ingredients may not be as fresh. Therefore, I had to do all my cooking on Wednesday. I love cooking , but it became more of a chore, because I had to do so much in one day. If the delivery date was on Friday , that would have worked better , cause id have sat, sun and mon to cook.

Several times an ingredient item was missing. Luckily, I have a pretty well stocked kitchen ,so it was never an issue. But , someone relying on the ingredients being delivered, would probably have been pissed off.

When I was speaking with the owner and chefs, what they do is search the internet , cook books ... to find inspirational recipes. They are given a budged for the ingredients for each meal ( I forgot how much it was ), and the meal must also take no more than 40 minutes to make. After they would come up with a meal, they would give it to the people who work there ( the non chefs), to see if they could make it in the time frame, and also if they had any problems reading and following the recipe. If it passed this test, then it would be added to their meal plan.

They have 2 warehouses . One on the east coast and another on the west coast to allow for quicker shipping and keeping ingredients fresh. Everything, for the most part , was pre measured ( spices, liquid ingredients ...). The produce came whole, and needed to be prepared as the recipe called for ( chopped, sliced ....).

The recipe cards were printed in color, with pictures . Step by step directions. They had an area in there office that was set up specifically for food photos to develop these recipe cards.

The only thing that wasn't included in the boxes was water, oil , salt and pepper. That was expected ( unless there was a specific kinda of oil, then that would be included and remeasured)

In my opinion, I think someone who does this would have to enjoy cooking, and be at least average or better to create a quality meal out of this. I think someone with lacking skills would think its a chore and not find it to be fun at all.

One thing I found a little ironic is that being a vegan company, you think they would be more concerned about the environment ( as stereotypically , many vegans are), but everything was prepackaged in plastic bags , plastic bottles ....

Anyway, thats my take on it.
It was a fun experience. Did find a few new recipes and ingredients, but now I consider it a ' been there, done that'.

From a price point of view, I can definitely cut the cost down by buying my own ingredients .

Also, the portions were a little smaller than I prefer. But then again, I like to eat
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think the fad is over for those services. They were a big deal at one time, and my older son and his wife had Blue Apron for a while but became tired of it for several reasons.
I also believe this. It sounded like a great idea initially. Blue Apron is struggling now, losing subscribers by the thousands every quarter. They've tried different marketing strategies to market their services with not much success and they're barely staying afloat now... not to mention I lost a good sum of money in their stock.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,057
About ten years ago, we went to Miami to visit and stay with my old childhood friend.
We arrived before he did. There was a small cooler on his porch. It contained his dinner.
I was impressed with the beautiful snapper filet over rice or something. Real good eye appeal.
Well it was as good as it looked. He was all alone and on dialysis and really needed this service. I think he kept it until he was gone.
Miss that guy.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
About ten years ago, we went to Miami to visit and stay with my old childhood friend.
We arrived before he did. There was a small cooler on his porch. It contained his dinner.
I was impressed with the beautiful snapper filet over rice or something. Real good eye appeal.
Well it was as good as it looked. He was all alone and on dialysis and really needed this service. I think he kept it until he was gone.
Miss that guy.
When I was a kid, I saw meals being delivered in metal containers to neighbors. We never got it. My mother, my father or I cooked dinner every night.
I like the idea of regularly delivered food. High quality stuff.
I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,005
Home delivery meal services

For a couple bucks more you can have a nice dinner delivered to your door from your favorite neighborhood restaurant, any night.
I think these meal kit services are mainly aimed at folks who love to cook.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When I was a kid, I saw meals being delivered in metal containers to neighbors. We never got it. My mother, my father or I cooked dinner every night.
I like the idea of regularly delivered food. High quality stuff.
I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more.
Two chores I do not mind doing. Washing dishes and folding the clean laundry. Pirate hates to wash the silverware. I don't mind it at all. So I let him wash the pans, (I hate those dang pans) and I do all the rest.

I have a fantastic laundry service. (Free) And they fold the clothes and other items as if they are going on display at an upscale department store. I do wish they would send it back with some items for me to fold. I just get to put it all away. I also love to iron. Ironing is my "Me Time." I just sit there pushing that iron back and forth, humming all the time.

I know, I am weird!!!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Two chores I do not mind doing. Washing dishes and folding the clean laundry. Pirate hates to wash the silverware. I don't mind it at all. So I let him wash the pans, (I hate those dang pans) and I do all the rest.

I have a fantastic laundry service. (Free) And they fold the clothes and other items as if they are going on display at an upscale department store. I do wish they would send it back with some items for me to fold. I just get to put it all away. I also love to iron. Ironing is my "Me Time." I just sit there pushing that iron back and forth, humming all the time.

I know, I am weird!!!
I also enjoy washing dishes and ironing. The only problem is, my standards of what is clean and what is not wrinkled is far below what my wife expects , which is why I usually get relieved of my dish washing and ironing duties rather quickly But I do find them both relaxing. ( you can include vacuuming and gift rapping too)

Oh, and Im weird too , but at least I admit it. What scares me more, are the people who think they are not weird and obviously are.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Do any of you ever use any of the home delivery food services? Which one, and why did you choose that service? Was/is it useful? How is the ingredient quality, and how does the food taste?
Are you referring to meal kit companies like Blue Apron or meal delivery services like Uber Eats or Grub Hub?
__________________

__________________
If you are not capable of a bit of alchemy, don't bother going into the kitchen - Colette
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.