Home delivery meal services

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Do any of you ever use any of the home delivery food services? Which one, and why did you choose that service? Was/is it useful? How is the ingredient quality, and how does the food taste?

I think the fad is over for those services. They were a big deal at one time, and my older son and his wife had Blue Apron for a while but became tired of it for several reasons.

I did " The Purple Carrot" for about 6 months. Through a charity auction, I got to visit their test kitchen, sit down with the owner, and speak with the chefs developing the recipes / meals. It is. vegan company, so with my wife turning vegan , I figured it was a good way to try recipes and ingredients that I may not select myself. The quality was very good as far as ingredients go. The meals were different each week, yet there were similarities which got to be boring after awhile.

Biggest problem I had was the delivery date. I had the 3 meal plan. It was delivered on Tuesday. Problem being I work long hours Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, not leaving me too much time to cook. By Saturday, the ingredients may not be as fresh. Therefore, I had to do all my cooking on Wednesday. I love cooking , but it became more of a chore, because I had to do so much in one day. If the delivery date was on Friday , that would have worked better , cause id have sat, sun and mon to cook.

Several times an ingredient item was missing. Luckily, I have a pretty well stocked kitchen ,so it was never an issue. But , someone relying on the ingredients being delivered, would probably have been pissed off.

When I was speaking with the owner and chefs, what they do is search the internet , cook books ... to find inspirational recipes. They are given a budged for the ingredients for each meal ( I forgot how much it was ), and the meal must also take no more than 40 minutes to make. After they would come up with a meal, they would give it to the people who work there ( the non chefs), to see if they could make it in the time frame, and also if they had any problems reading and following the recipe. If it passed this test, then it would be added to their meal plan.

They have 2 warehouses . One on the east coast and another on the west coast to allow for quicker shipping and keeping ingredients fresh. Everything, for the most part , was pre measured ( spices, liquid ingredients ...). The produce came whole, and needed to be prepared as the recipe called for ( chopped, sliced ....).

The recipe cards were printed in color, with pictures . Step by step directions. They had an area in there office that was set up specifically for food photos to develop these recipe cards.

The only thing that wasn't included in the boxes was water, oil , salt and pepper. That was expected ( unless there was a specific kinda of oil, then that would be included and remeasured)

In my opinion, I think someone who does this would have to enjoy cooking, and be at least average or better to create a quality meal out of this. I think someone with lacking skills would think its a chore and not find it to be fun at all.

One thing I found a little ironic is that being a vegan company, you think they would be more concerned about the environment ( as stereotypically , many vegans are), but everything was prepackaged in plastic bags , plastic bottles ....

Anyway, thats my take on it.
It was a fun experience. Did find a few new recipes and ingredients, but now I consider it a ' been there, done that'.

From a price point of view, I can definitely cut the cost down by buying my own ingredients .

Also, the portions were a little smaller than I prefer. But then again, I like to eat :)

Last edited:
I think the fad is over for those services. They were a big deal at one time, and my older son and his wife had Blue Apron for a while but became tired of it for several reasons.

I also believe this. It sounded like a great idea initially. Blue Apron is struggling now, losing subscribers by the thousands every quarter. They've tried different marketing strategies to market their services with not much success and they're barely staying afloat now... not to mention I lost a good sum of money in their stock.

About ten years ago, we went to Miami to visit and stay with my old childhood friend.
We arrived before he did. There was a small cooler on his porch. It contained his dinner.
I was impressed with the beautiful snapper filet over rice or something. Real good eye appeal.
Well it was as good as it looked. He was all alone and on dialysis and really needed this service. I think he kept it until he was gone.
Miss that guy.

About ten years ago, we went to Miami to visit and stay with my old childhood friend.
We arrived before he did. There was a small cooler on his porch. It contained his dinner.
I was impressed with the beautiful snapper filet over rice or something. Real good eye appeal.
Well it was as good as it looked. He was all alone and on dialysis and really needed this service. I think he kept it until he was gone.
Miss that guy.

When I was a kid, I saw meals being delivered in metal containers to neighbors. We never got it. My mother, my father or I cooked dinner every night.
I like the idea of regularly delivered food. High quality stuff.
I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more.

For a couple bucks more you can have a nice dinner delivered to your door from your favorite neighborhood restaurant, any night.
I think these meal kit services are mainly aimed at folks who love to cook.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I saw meals being delivered in metal containers to neighbors. We never got it. My mother, my father or I cooked dinner every night.
I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more.

Two chores I do not mind doing. Washing dishes and folding the clean laundry. Pirate hates to wash the silverware. I don't mind it at all. So I let him wash the pans, (I hate those dang pans) and I do all the rest.

I have a fantastic laundry service. (Free) And they fold the clothes and other items as if they are going on display at an upscale department store. I do wish they would send it back with some items for me to fold. I just get to put it all away. I also love to iron. Ironing is my "Me Time." I just sit there pushing that iron back and forth, humming all the time.

I know, I am weird!!! :wacko:

Two chores I do not mind doing. Washing dishes and folding the clean laundry. Pirate hates to wash the silverware. I don't mind it at all. So I let him wash the pans, (I hate those dang pans) and I do all the rest.

I have a fantastic laundry service. (Free) And they fold the clothes and other items as if they are going on display at an upscale department store. I do wish they would send it back with some items for me to fold. I just get to put it all away. I also love to iron. Ironing is my "Me Time." I just sit there pushing that iron back and forth, humming all the time.

I know, I am weird!!! :wacko:

I also enjoy washing dishes and ironing. The only problem is, my standards of what is clean and what is not wrinkled is far below what my wife expects , which is why I usually get relieved of my dish washing and ironing duties rather quickly :ROFLMAO: But I do find them both relaxing. ( you can include vacuuming and gift rapping too)

Oh, and Im weird too , but at least I admit it. What scares me more, are the people who think they are not weird and obviously are.

Last edited:
Do any of you ever use any of the home delivery food services? Which one, and why did you choose that service? Was/is it useful? How is the ingredient quality, and how does the food taste?
Are you referring to meal kit companies like Blue Apron or meal delivery services like Uber Eats or Grub Hub?

I also enjoy washing dishes and ironing. The only problem is, my standards of what is clean and what is not wrinkled is far below what my wife expects , which is why I usually get relieved of my dish washing and ironing duties rather quickly :ROFLMAO: But I do find them both relaxing. ( you can include vacuuming and gift rapping too)

Oh, and Im weird too , but at least I admit it. What scares me more, are the people who think they are not weird and obviously are.

It drove me crazy because Pirate fails to see a dish when he has washed it, is still dirty. So to save on arguments, I taught him to run his hand over the dish. If there is still food stuck on the plate, then do it over again until your hand tells you it is completely clean.

I find ironing to be a very restful time. Pirate hates it, so I offered to do all his ironing. He now is convinced that I am totally NUTS!

If they were the stacked metal containers, I remember them being a Cuban thing.

I just can't get the idea of someone else selecting meat, produce, etc. for us to cook at home.

Last edited:
"I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more."

Welcome to the Club ! You can be Vice-President !:LOL:

"I'm already having a harder and harder time cooking every eve. Then dishes. I hate dishes. But hate laundry even more."

Welcome to the Club ! You can be Vice-President !:LOL:

Just let me know when either of you are not in the mood for clean up time. I will be right over. Even with my one leg. If it can wait until Wednesday, will be even better. A good excuse to try out my new leg. (I hope!)

I've tried 3 of them. While we had our house on the market, then packing - moving - unpacking, it was a convenient way to have a few meals a week pre-planned. Nothing took long prep or long cooking. Dinner was on the table in 30 minutes without a lot of fuss or clean up. I didn't have to stock up on groceries while I was trying to 'use up' stuff in the fridge. They sent just enough food to prep for 2 of us.

Blue Apron was my least favorite. Everything took twice as long to prepare as they suggested. The recipes were a lot of work for meh flavor. I can understand why they are struggling. I tried it a couple times.

Sun Basket I only tried once. It was OK, but not impressive.

I did about 12 weeks (on and off) of Home Chef over a 6-8 month period. This was my favorite - especially the selection. They have a lot of Asian, Mexican, Cajun mixed in with the more typical American & Italian. We preferred the stronger flavors of the first 3 cuisines. I have since used several of their recipes - some are that good.

All of them can have issues with delivery. Sometimes produce will be damaged or not as fresh as you want (I'm thinking of some old mushrooms or wilted cilantro). But in any case, the service always refunded the price of that particular meal with no hassle. In general, the food they sent was as fresh as what I find at my local Publix.

Now 18 people are all going to chime in and say they can make things better and/or cheaper, and of course you can. I wouldn't make a long term plan to use them, but occasionally or during busy times in your life, it can be a godsend.

Last edited:
I've tried 3 of them. While we had our house on the market, then packing - moving - unpacking, it was a convenient way to have a few meals a week pre-planned. Nothing took long prep or long cooking. Dinner was on the table in 30 minutes without a lot of fuss or clean up. I didn't have to stock up on groceries while I was trying to 'use up' stuff in the fridge. They sent just enough food to prep for 2 of us.

Blue Apron was my least favorite. Everything took twice as long to prepare as they suggested. The recipes were a lot of work for meh flavor. I can understand why they are struggling. I tried it a couple times.

Sun Basket I only tried once. It was OK, but not impressive.

I did about 12 weeks (on and off) of Home Chef over a 6-8 month period. This was my favorite - especially the selection. They have a lot of Asian, Mexican, Cajun mixed in with the more typical American & Italian. We preferred the stronger flavors of the first 3 cuisines. I have since used several of their recipes - some are that good.

All of them can have issues with delivery. Sometimes produce will be damaged or not as fresh as you want (I'm thinking of some old mushrooms or wilted cilantro). But in any case, the service always refunded the price of that particular meal with no hassle. In general, the food they sent was as fresh as what I find at my local Publix.

Now 18 people are all going to chime in and say they can make things better and/or cheaper, and of course you can. I wouldn't make a long term plan to use them, but occasionally or during busy times in your life, it can be a godsend.

That package can be a life saver sometimes. You are coming down with a cold, don't feel like cooking, etc....

Yup, go take that nap and when you wake up make a quick supper from that box. Let the kids do the dishes,

Basically, these meal kits provide service for just a small niche of the home cook. They're really not a good deal for the average home cook. Most will go belly up at some point as none of them are profiting.

You must be my long-lost twin. Love, love, love ironing. I find it soothing and the end result is so satisfying.

Vacuuming...omigosh! Buck used to take the shop vac out of my hands because I became a monster.

Again, gift-wrapping. I love to be creative and make all special.

NEVER MIND!!!!!

My younger sister who's husband is a long-haul trucker is home by herself a lot and she does not drive, in LOS ANGELES!!!
Anyways, for her these Meal Kit Delivery Services work great.
(I'm not sure which she uses, she switches off now and again)

She gets 3 per week and it's enough leftovers to hold her for the entire week.
I don't think that the price is worth it myself, but I drive, shop, prep, cook and store leftovers just peachy-swell all on my own thanks.

Both my Mother and Sister miss me terribly!
I was their meal delivery service before we all moved apart.
I would go over to each of their apartments with about 2 weeks worth of meals already vacuum sealed up and ready for them to re-heat and eat.

Oh, my Mom doesn't drive either, nor does she cook anymore.
So when we go to visit twice a year, I take ALOT of food for her freezer!
Maybe I should make it there 3 times a year :chef:

Back
Top Bottom