"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Homemade deli style meat

I've been looking into saving some money and skipping the deli at the local supermarket. I can do better at home and for a whole lot cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe for deli style meat. I've done roast beef that was amazing and I'm looking into doing a turkey breast next. Any other recipes for sandwich meat, or lunch meat are welcome too.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

And in general, lard fat garlic and carrot and bake in an oven.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You could do a porchetta with a pork loin. I do them up and then wrap them tightly in tinfoil and put them in the fridge. Then, I slice them up after a day and eat them cold.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Master Chef

A good way to make deli loaf-style meats is to cut thin strips of beef, pork, turkey, or ham. You then layer the desired strips (you can mix and match as you like), along with mined onion, garlic, olives, pimentoes, all in a bread pan that has been well buttered. Season with salt, pepper, sage, etc., between each layer. Place in the oven and bake until cooked through. Let cool ovenight in the fridge and remove the loaf from the pan. Then slice thin for sandwiches. The collagen and juices from the meat should be sufficeint to hold everything togeth. But if the meat is very lean, go ahead and mix in some unflavored geletine into the mixture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I've been looking into saving some money and skipping the deli at the local supermarket. I can do better at home and for a whole lot cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe for deli style meat. I've done roast beef that was amazing and I'm looking into doing a turkey breast next. Any other recipes for sandwich meat, or lunch meat are welcome too.
Boneless turkey breasts, ham is pretty easy to do.

If you have the time, equipment, spices. You can make your own deli meats at home. Check out some sausage making supply company's. They usually carry everything needed to get the job done. It's actually a lot easier to make it yourself. At least you'll know what exactly goes into the product.

Munky.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Heh, I'm getting really tired of standing in line for 20 minutes to get some stuff that is sub-par to what I can make at home. It only takes me 20 minutes of active work to do it at home.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Chief Longwind: You don't use a weight when making those laminated loaves?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

Any roast or whole bird is a good option. Also meatloaf or pate is a good choice. James Beard had a recipe for one in Beard on Pasta that contained shell macaroni among other things, he called it Beach Pate. It is a hearty rustic pate that is sturdy enough for sandwiches. Chopped chicken liver is a nice change, egg salad, ham loaf. etc. Look for ideas in cookbooks that are WWII era or before. Ask your grandparents for some ideas, people have been toting food for along time.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Chief Longwind: You don't use a weight when making those laminated loaves?
I'm wondering that too. Right now as it is, I buy an eye round or top round roast, marinate it awhile with some vinegar and oil, and then salt and pepper it. I oven cook it at 325F and then slice it paper thin with my old plastic Krups kitchen counter slicer. I portion it into bags and freeze it for later us.

While very good, I wish I could do more to make it a bit more deli shop flavorful for my sammies. I should explore the above method, but am very in the dark about it.

I mostly cook eye round and top round roasts because they come in a good shape for slicing. I'd like to try a roast with a bit more fat in it, but they are so deformed looking. Maybe the loaf method would be good for odd shaped roasts that have more fat in them (flavor) , seeing as I doubt I could get uniform sandwich sized slices from odd shaped roasts that I see for sale.
I see some roasts that are almost squashed down looking.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thinly sliced cold tri tip is what I like. Awesome deli meat.

Tags
homemade, meat