"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #31
Master Chef

Unfortunately there is no toaster or microwave. That would have been so much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 07-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #32
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Unfortunately there is no toaster or microwave. That would have been so much easier

Make it before you leave.Wrap it in some foil.
If you have an empty spice container put the syrup in that.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #33
Master Chef

A good way to keep things hot is to wrap in foil, reflective side in. However, aluminum is a great conductor, and radiator of heat. So, after wrapping in foil, wrap in thick towels to trap radiated heat. Also, keeping such things as waffles or pancakes hot in a sealed pocket will cause the steam to make everything soft. Just saying.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #34
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

You can also put hot things in a small cooler to retain heat - those insulated cooler bags work well for short periods. Place a bath towel in the bottom and then add a sealed quart jar that you have filled most of the way with super hot water. Place your wrapped hot food next to the jar and then fold the towel over all of it and close the cooler. Try to use a cooler that isn't much bigger that the stuff you put in it. This should stay fairly warm for up to an hour.

You could also use a brick that has been wrapped in foil and heated in the oven instead of the jar of hot water but the heating take a little longer... ;)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #35
Master Chef

Hospital food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You can also put hot things in a small cooler to retain heat - those insulated cooler bags work well for short periods. Place a bath towel in the bottom and then add a sealed quart jar that you have filled most of the way with super hot water. Place your wrapped hot food next to the jar and then fold the towel over all of it and close the cooler. Try to use a cooler that isn't much bigger that the stuff you put in it. This should stay fairly warm for up to an hour.

You could also use a brick that has been wrapped in foil and heated in the oven instead of the jar of hot water but the heating take a little longer... ;)

That what I was pretty much doing. OK, make sure everything is hot. Wrap, run!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
That what I was pretty much doing. OK, make sure everything is hot. Wrap, run!
I think they sell large heating pouches that you can plug into your cars cigarette lighter too. Like the ones pizza places use for delivery. They also sell simple insulated pouches that would help keep the food warm on the drive over.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:

Charlie, are you sure there's not a microwave that can be used in the floor nurses station? Every nurses station in our local hospital has one, and I've never been turned down when I've asked to use it.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #38
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

OK - next idea...

Lentil soup (homemade) - Do ahead and pack in a thermos.
Bread. Lovely fresh bread, rolls or savory muffins - buy.
Salad. Plate of sliced cukes and tomatoes - peel the tomatoes. These are in season now and would be wonderful with a little oil and vinegar.

For dessert a fruit crisp from apples or berries. You can make this ahead as well in generous single serving size container and top it with some whipped cream (get the canned stuff....) or nice dollop of vanilla yogurt
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Charlie, are you sure there's not a microwave that can be used in the floor nurses station? Every nurses station in our local hospital has one, and I've never been turned down when I've asked to use it.
I second this. I've worked in hospitals for the last ten years and there is ALWAYS a microwave available.

I also love this thread cause hospital food is horribad...

I can get a breakfast equal to 6-8 scrambled eggs and 4 pieces of bacon for 2 bucks and lunch costs 3. I said something to the director in jest one day about organic and she said, "Everything I serve is organic."

I'm a huge proponent of eating for health and have seen improvements in my own since changing my food sources, so what you are doing for your friend is a great thing. I skipped over a few pages of this thread, so if I repeat ideas, I apologize.

I like the lentil soup idea, recently became a fan of them. Not sure what his tastes are, but sauerkraut is amazing on many levels. It's all about feeding the right internal bacteria so they can help fix you up. Also, not sure of the reasons, and won't pry, but, protein, protein, protein. Best thing when you need to heal up. Hard boiled eggs are easy and portable. Shakes are good as well, I personally try to avoid the sugary ones. The shakes the normally have at hospitals are loaded with sugar.

I completely agree with him not wanting to eat the same things over and over. I'm in the same boat with an experiment I'm doing right now with slow carb. I wish you both the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #40
Master Chef

With much sadness I have to say that I no longer have to cook for my friend. He pas on this morning.

Tags
food