"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Master Chef

Hospital food

I have a friend in a hospital, going thru some serious stuff, sadly. As you can imagine hospital food is terrible to begin with, on the top of it he has no appetite at all. Making matters worse he is very picky. I have been making him meals once or twice a week, some other friends also help. But now I am fresh out of ideas.
Here it goes, no meat, but dairy and fish are good. As far as veggies, he doesn’t eat celery, broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

Need something simple because I cook after work, to make it fresh, so I can bring it hot right away. He cannot eat a lot. So it has to be nutritious. Nothing too spicy, nothing too fat.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

The first thing that came to mind was a Clam or fish chowder Charlie. It's good of you to do this for him.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Mac and cheese with peas mixed in. Covers all bases. Make it today, bring it up after a stay in the micro for a short bit tomorrow. Cook today, deliver tomorrow. Alternate days with other friends.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

Prawn risotto (e.g. with tomatoes, peas)

spaghetti with pesto and grated parmesan shavings

pasta shells with roasted veg and beans

mash with grilled fish fillets and spinach.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie--has your friend spoken with the staff? Often hospitals will prepare specific meals based on the person's likes/dislikes. These meals are prepared fresh and "off the menu" that is sent up. Some hospitals will even accept the recipe from family/friends. When I have prepared meals for friends who are ill, I have always asked them what they'd like? Soups? Casseroles? A plate of what you made for your family? Color on the plate helps. Spices that are aromatic that stimulate the appetite? Find out what it is that doesn't taste good. For example, maybe the smell of something or the texture turns his stomach. I would talk with the nutritionist or dietician at the hospital for help.

When my mom was on daily IV antibiotics, it was really hard to find things she would eat. Things didn't taste right. It was August, so fresh fruit and veggies worked, pork chops tasted funny, small portions. Egg salad sandwiches. Homemade soup was something she craved. A nice fresh fruit salad with a bit of cottage cheese on the side or a yogurt-honey dressing with fresh mint or tarragon? An egg salad sandwich or an omelet? I fed my mom all day long. Some carrot, red pepper, cucumber slices with a Greek yogurt dip. Cold cucumber soup with raisins and almonds added. Gazpacho. Things that were refreshing and tasted fresh.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
Head Chef

A small salmon steak, drizzled with olive oil, salt and peppered, stacked with sliced onions coated with olive oil too, baked at 400F for 15 min. New or small red boiled potatoes as a starch and for color. Thinly sliced fried zucchini rounds too. A mostly romaine salad with blue cheese dressing.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hospital food

Sorry to hear about your friend, Charlie, you're doing a nice thing.

Tuna salad with some whole wheat crackers. Sliced fresh fruit with honey yogurt dip, veggies with ranch dip. Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. Vegetable soup with saltines.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Master Chef

How about asking him what he would like from a favorite local restaurant.

It might be easier and cheaper because of the small quantities of food that he can consume.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
How about asking him what he would like from a favorite local restaurant.

It might be easier and cheaper because of the small quantities of food that he can consume.

That's what they do at some hospitals in Mexico. A friend who's been hospitalized there said she was presented with a selection of local menus, and the food was delivered.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Also make sure he is not on a special diet related to his medical condition. Raw fruits, veggies, beans and nuts are more difficult to digest and may cause problems. I would suggest pasta with well-cooked onions, peppers and marinara sauce, veggie soup, rice with veggies. Cottage cheese with canned peaches. The food doesn't have to be hot, just appealing to him.

Hospitals usually have refrigerators and microwaves ovens that the staff use to store and heat up food for patients. That way, they can eat when they feel like it rather than when meals are served.

Tags
food