"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

I Make A List

At the beginning of a season, Summer or Winter, I list a number of items I really enjoy and want to remember to make during the season. I'm talking about season appropriate dishes like certain soups, stews, etc in the Winter, and some smoked/BBQd items in the Summer.

I don't consistently make a weekly menu but I make a seasonal list.

Am I the only one...

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

I was trained in business to be a list person. I find that the act of writing a list helps me to remember even if the list is not with me.

I try to make one celebration a month to include some seasonal items that do not fit well into my healthier lifestyle. I also make menus for holidays and then edit out all but the most important items on the list. These are slowly evolving into a personal cookbook/almanac/diary of seasonal items that are important to me. It also helps me to remember to fix some inexpensive items from my childhood that are not top of mind. Simple things like an egg salad sandwich or S.O.S.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
At the beginning of a season, Summer or Winter, I list a number of items I really enjoy and want to remember to make during the season. I'm talking about season appropriate dishes like certain soups, stews, etc in the Winter, and some smoked/BBQd items in the Summer.

I don't consistently make a weekly menu but I make a seasonal list.

Am I the only one...
No--I make a list too based on when things are in season, typically go on sale/good price (turkeys, for example, October to December, ham around Easter, pork in the fall...pomegranates in the winter, and now Meyer Lemons!). Best time to buy a side of beef/lamb/pork...I don't make grape leaves in the winter because I make those when the leaves come out...I keep meaning to freeze them, but we end up eating them all! Because I'm self-employed, I stock up on staples when times are "flush" and eat out of the freezer and pantry when times are lean. I don't "shop" for a recipe (unless it is a special event). I figure out what I can make based on what I have on hand. And, make a lot of the "convenience" items such as tortillas, pitas, etc., from scratch. I do think I eat well. The only thing that is a problem is recipes that need alcohol.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Everymom

I don't make a formal seasonal list. I have a few items that I plan to do over the winter and a few for summer. Winter is a bigger list.

What sorts of things are on your list Andy?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Gumbo
Hot and Sour Soup
Jambalaya
Black Bean Soup
Cassoulet
Tom Kha Gai
Goan Pork Vindaloo
Enchiladas
Short ribs
Osso Buco & Risotto
Chorizo and Bean Soup
Sour Cream Mushroom Soup
Hungarian Goulash

I doubt I'll get to all this as we're going on vacation in 11 days for two weeks and I'm trying to thin out the contents of the fridge and freezer.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I make a list of "dinners" things that I can just browse through and plan a meal from on the days that get hectic.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't make a list. I don't think I eat seasonally, but I do notice I go through more flour and stock in the winter, so I must.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

living in so. calif. where we have little changes in the season, i generally make what ever i want. certainly not stew or soup in summer. but pretty much anything else would be on my list for both winter and summer.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make a list for our yearly visit to Costco.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I make a list for our yearly visit to Costco.
I make a list for my visits to MN. At the top of the list is walleye, followed by venison. I'm looking forward to bringing some venison back to ON when I visit MN in February (a time of year I generally don't pick for a "vacation" in MN...but a friend from HS and I have an x-country ski date planned--we were on the HS x-country ski team together and I can use my mom's boots and skis--our b'days are 2 days apart and we celebrated together when we were 'kids'--should be fun). But I'm hoping we also might get out ice fishing and catch us some walleye....