I went to 3 stores for our groceries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom never learned to drive. The first 45 years of her life was in Brooklyn, so she could walk to the stores.

When we moved to Jersey, either my dad drove her or she rode her bicycle a few miles to the nearest store. Actually, my dad still drove to church and the stores right up until a few months before he died.

bt, I think it was in the marriage vows at that time. He drives, she shops.

bt, I think it was in the marriage vows at that time. He drives, she shops.

My wife's aunt and uncle are like that. She has a license but her husband does 99% of the driving. She only drives in a pinch. She was born in 1938, so I think she learned how to drive in her dad's '52 Plymouth with a 3 speed manual on the column tranny. :)

Wow, a good friend of mine bought a fixer upper house a few months ago. I've gone over a few times to help him fix some stuff. They still haven't bought a stove yet, so they eat out twice a day at least. Trash is overflowing with pizza boxes, Burger King wrappers, etc..

I offered to help him pick up a used stove. They are like $80 for a decent one around here. He said: "I can't afford to buy one". Can't afford anything after dropping $30 a day on take out food. That's $900/month.

Funny to see how some people manage their household money. Forget going to 3 stores, heck even going to 1 would save a lot of money over eating out everyday.

He also said his 20 year old GF (half his age) isn't too keen on cooking. She was never taught how to cook. She doesn't work; she's at home all day.

Last edited:
Have you said anything to them, jd?

is she hot?

:yum: Yeah she's kinda cute -- blonde hair, dusting of freckles, and blue eyes.

No, I never gave them the "you're spending $900 a month on artery clogging crap food" speech. Not really my business. I figure every time he reaches into his wallet to pay for Papa John's pizza, he can see the money shrink.

I did offer to help haul over an oven in my '87 Dodge Ram D150 pickemup truck, though. 225 ci Slant 6 under the hood in case you're curious. ha.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure something is "cooking" in the house :ohmy: just not in the kitchen. :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: Yeppers. I wouldn't doubt it. She's really beautiful but kind of gives off the vibe of being raised in a broken home situation.

My sisters started learning to cook when they were like 12 and would share the cooking duties starting when they were like 15.

328d255da3a33270dda1248217a4b9a7.jpg

Speaking of my beloved sis, she lives in a house that was built in 1907, and its all original kitchen looks almost exactly like the one in the above pic (taken in like 1915). I guess this is a Home Economics class? Or some orphanage for girls? Or probably just a school for girls where they learn skills and make their own food.

Last edited:
My mom never taught me to cook and I went without cooking for 57 years. Oh, I could make toast and boxed macaroni and cheese and hamburgers. But real honest to God cooking? I didn't start doing that until about 2 1/2 years ago. Up to that point, the only spice I ever had in my house was salt.

Of course, there are days when I wish I could stay home all day and not cook, too. Those are the days I wrap leftovers in foil and throw them in the oven while I play on the computer.

My mom never taught me to cook and I went without cooking for 57 years. Oh, I could make toast and boxed macaroni and cheese and hamburgers. But real honest to God cooking? I didn't start doing that until about 2 1/2 years ago. Up to that point, the only spice I ever had in my house was salt.

Of course, there are days when I wish I could stay home all day and not cook, too. Those are the days I wrap leftovers in foil and throw them in the oven while I play on the computer.

My mom wasn't a very good cook, so we usually had the crap from those burger joints.:mad: Between her and my father, there are many things that will never be served in this house. Lets see baked spaghetti, tuna casserole, liver and onions and raw beef (hamburger) sandwiches, just to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom