"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Sous Chef

IF you HAD to prep

I know there was a thread several years ago about food hoarding/ prepping. I'm semi a lot newer here and if this is inappropriate the mods can remove. I am curious because I just got done reading The Bronze Horseman and it was about WWII. I was so interested in the sections of rationing and what the involved were going through, I just wonder, if you knew you had to prep. What would you do?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

whoa!! not too sure what you mean. Not familiar with the book but am assuming with the reference to WWII that you mean an Armageddon situation? or close to?

Are you asking what we would do to prepare for a disaster? a personal disaster? global disaster? a war? flooding? power being knocked out for 6 months? the moon crashing into us?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

It probably is in the wrong forum, but prepping is not that controversial, or just something for "hoarders and end-timers."

I used to live on the Gulf Coast, and my family still does. They "prep" for hurricane season. Dad has a generator he maintains for being without power for days. He had to use it for Hurricane Ike to run the refrigerators, keep phones charged, and such basics. You also keep well stoked with bottled water during hurricane season, because once the warnings start being issued, the store shelves empty out of water.

I lived in a town that got hit by an F5 tornado, and for several days, we had no electricity, and could not go anywhere, because the roads were not passable due to downed trees and debris.

So, there are lots of reasons to be a little bit of a "prepper."

CD
Old 07-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I'm just asking, what would you personally prep for a war?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm a prepper of sorts, I have my own pantry with lots to eat, just in case. If I lose my job, I have food. There were a number of years I went without a job, but I didn't run out of food. It's like a savings account, just in case. We have flash floods, tornadoes, breaking down cars, and there is no end to the 'what if's'.

What would I do? Start with putting up food, add water supplies without having electricity, add generators, learn skills, skills will be in short supply in an emergency or long term emergency. Learn first aid, cpr, have medical supplies on hand. Can you sew, can you kill and gut and cut up a deer, do you know how to dehydrate food. Do you have seeds, do you know how to garden. Can you put in fencing for animals, can you take care of goats or chickens. All that would be a start.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I'm just asking, what would you personally prep for a war?
I've never thought about preparing for war. If war ever comes to our soil, it won't be a very long one -- maybe a matter of hours -- one way or another.

I focus more on local disasters.

CD
Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

BTW, I go on-an-on about how much I love my Weber Kettle grill. I also love the twice-a-year Kingsford sales Home Depot and Lowe's have.

Soooo, I could eat well with no electricity to cook with, although I'd like to have a generator to keep the fridge/freezer running.

Did you know you can get 440 pounds of Kingsford Charcoal in a MINI Cooper? Psycho-Poodle was impressed. He didn't think I could do it.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3056.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	27407  
Old 07-29-2017, 05:04 AM   #8
Head Chef

I live in a country that is seen a necessary loss to stop the Russians. A buffer zone, not worth saving. Thanks for that, so during the cold war I was taught to hide, survive in the forest, it was done as fun games in school, but as old I realize what we were doing.

So I am going to hide in the nearest forest and hope for the best.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Interesting comments here. I don't think you are on the wrong forum. It is, after all, about food. Just in storage, not baking.
I live on the east coast. We have had hurricanes go through and take out the power for up to five days. We have had blizzards do the same. One situation we had was in one home we had a well. Electricity brought the water into the house. That power outage meant no water to wash, drink or flush toilets. Not having a pond around, and every store quickly emptied of bottled water, the town came to our rescue and brought in ten 50-gallon drums of water. We saved the bottled water for drinking and used the drums of water for the rest.
In New England, a weather forecast of impending snow sends the whole population to the markets which quickly empty of bread and milk. We can usually get by with what is in the pantry if we just have bread and milk.
And today, with the way things are in China, I'm seeing an upsurge in food hoarding of a different kind. My go-to place in case of civil unrest is to my son's home. He has stored in buckets of food that can be prepared easily. Mostly freeze-dried, dried beans and rice, and meals that need to be rehydrated come in those buckets. I add to the collection on occasion. And as he is a hunter, living in the wilds, there will be meat on the table. A wood stove for heat or cooking, a gas grill for some foods.... it's not perfect, but it is a plan.
Margot Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
Head Chef

We always keep bottled water, canned foods (with a manual can opener if they don't have the flip top), peanut butter crackers, peanut butter & jelly, candies, and juice boxes on hand year-round. Hurricanes during the summers, snowstorms during the winters. I also have extra copies of prescriptions, and extra supplies for blood sugar meters and such.

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote