"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrooks View Post
I think you might be referring to sticky toffee pudding.
Is that the same thing as Treacle Tart? I only know about that from Harry Potter.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I have chosen the meal’s menu. I will make the Cornish pasties, and the English Toffee Dessert. I think I will make others recipes next time. Thanks to you, I know some English specialties, other than the Fish and Chips, the English dish the most famous.
I look for English activities too, that we can do with my friends. In England, how do you liven up a meal? I would like to have yours counsels so that my party on the English theme is a success.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry-Rasberry View Post
In England, how do you liven up a meal? I would like to have yours counsels so that my party on the English theme is a success.
Okay I'm from California/US and haven't been to England, but I'd suggest you discuss the Royal family! Guessing from English tabloid newspapers that's probably a favorite topic in England.

You will serve English tea, right?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry-Rasberry View Post
In England, how do you liven up a meal?
invite the french, german, and irish...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

It's a good idea to discuss the Royal family ! I have chosen to do a quiz about the English personality too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Okay I'm from California/US and haven't been to England, but I'd suggest you discuss the Royal family! Guessing from English tabloid newspapers that's probably a favorite topic in England.

You will serve English tea, right?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

For my party, I have planed the meal, the activities and I would like to do the table decoration, on the English theme. Have you got ideas?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

when doing a country's theme, flags are common. you could do the 3 flags of england, with the union jack in the center showing the overlapping stripes of st. george, st. andrew, and st. patrick.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Master Chef

So how did the party go? We all want to know.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Head Chef

Sorry am too late probs with the advice but here I am anyway.

Fish and Chips is ok, not cooked that much I would say at home, its more of a take away treat, you get it from the chippy. Fine to cook at home if you want to though.

Someone mentioned Roast beef and yorkshire pud, excellent. A proper english roast dinner would be beef or lamb (can be chicken if you want), with roast potatoes, vegetables and of course gorgeous gravy (but enough about me).

Other main meals are the likes of Shepherd Pie, Cottage Pie, Toad in the Hole, Bangers and Mash (and gravy), Liver and Onions, Steak and Kidney Pudding.

Pudding would be yes, trifle, not familiar with a toffee dessert though, sherry trifle is more english, steamed pudding with custard (such as jam roly poly or spotted dick), apple pie with custard, bakewell tart, rice pudding, wobbly jelly and ice cream.

Table decorations - well the union jack of course, the more the merrier. As its the Queens diamond jubilee this year you can buy lots of lovely flag waving stuff.

Entertainment ? Lordy give me a glass of wine and I'll entertain you. Anything really, we like a jolly old sing song and a bit of a boogie oogie oogie.

Much as we love our traditions and we do eat all this stuff, but we embrace all foods and cultures. I personally love italian, indian, chinese and jamaican cuisine.

Looking forward to your feedback!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Other main meals are the likes of Shepherd Pie, Cottage Pie, Toad in the Hole, Bangers and Mash (and gravy), Liver and Onions, Steak and Kidney Pudding.
It's always so much fun to discuss cooking with folks and get exposed to new foods and cuisine I haven't tried. I Googled Toad in the Hole and came up with the following delicious looking recipe:
Quote:
Classic English Toad-in-the-Hole
by Elaine Lemm, About.com Guide

No other British dish shows the British idiosyncrasy of calling a savory dish a pudding than Steak and Kidney Pudding. A Steak and Kidney Pudding recipe may at first look a little daunting, but don’t be put off, it is actually quite straightforward and all the efforts are well worth it.

This is my version and slightly more elaborate than my grandmother made, not sure she would approve of using red wine, but I love it.

Total Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 oz/25g beef dripping, lard or vegetable oil
  • 1½lbs/675g beef topside, cut into 1"/2.5cm cubes
  • 12 oz/350g beef kidney, cut into 1"/2.5 cm cubes
  • 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 carrots, washed, peeled and thickly sliced
  • 1 oz/ 25g all purpose/plain flour
  • 10 fl oz/ 300ml beef stock
  • 5 fl oz// 150ml red wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ¼ cup/ small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 10 oz/280g self rising flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 5 oz/ 140g beef suet, finely chopped
  • 2 - 3 tbsp cold water
  • Butter for greasing
  • Salt and pepper
read the full recipe with directions
One thing that surprised me a bit, thinking of how you make Yorkshire Pudding, I'm a bit surprised that some of the grease from browning the bangers wasn't stirred into the batter before pouring it over the bangers and baking the result.